• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you follow your partner (boss) to a brand new boutique?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boutique consulting sounds sexy and all that but can really be a nightmare if it's not set up well. Any kind of decent benefits, infrastructure, professional development etc.? What are your prospects with your current firm? And definitely nail them down on equity, some kind of general commitment "down the road" is not enough.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Yes, if you're young and have nothing to lose, no if you're old and have lots to lose

yeah, I'd say it would come down to age - if I were under 30 I'd do it. otherwise probably not

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JhwkMac
Companies are many, a boss you actually like working for.. hard to find.

QFT. the only reason why i'm not considering leaving is because my boss makes it enjoyable for me to work under him.

if you truly believe that your current boss isn't as good as the one that left... i don't see why you won't leave (other than the questions asked above). you'll be more motivated to do the tasks and you'll be willing to put your best foot forward.

kxk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by level32
My current firm doesn't expect MBA to be promoted for one more level ahead of me. I can probably make that level in one more year if I stayed. I'm planning on going back to school either 2012 or 2013. My dilemma is that the work is in the same category as what I'm doing now (just more interesting), but this overall industry may not be what I want to pursue post-mba.
what is "one level ahead"? i suppose i meant to ask--do they expect you to get an MBA to rise to the level into which MBA's are hired? or can you reach it through internal promotion? In any case, if you're looking to go back to school within a year, definitely doesn't hurt to venture into the great unknown. You've already got the "pretty good consulting firm" name on your resume, and being at a small startup firm might lend to a lot of very interesting experiences. As for the industry change, I mean staying at your current firm won't solve that, either, you know? Either way, it's a 2 year shot, right? Long term isn't the top priority in either scenario. Either way, you're either looking to get an MBA or switch out into a different industry. If MBA is a definite hopeful, and I were in your shoes, then I don't really see what would hold me back from leaving, even if I am quite happy at my current job and even if money wasn't an issue. And if what they say about consulting is true, and you've got what it takes to get into a pretty good business school, post-MBA industry change really shouldn't be an issue from what I gather. Of course, I'd second the whole "make sure you get benefits" and "negotiate for equity", although latter might not be too important if you're only in it for the short term.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Young, have nothing to lose, and my mentor leaves and offers me a job to work for him elsewhere?

Well, I had the opportunity about 6 months ago and regret not taking it.... So there's that.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How good is he? If you're talking about a rainmaker who's very well respected in his industry, then you might be in on the ground floor of something big. But if he can't differentiate is startup from all the other established boutiques out there then you'll likely all be left with nothing...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yep!

level32

Reaction score
Initially when I was contacted, I was slightly hesitant not knowing all the details. After meeting and speaking extensively with all the people involved, I am definitely going to do it. I respect each one of them quite a bit and I feel like this will be an amazing learning opportunity. At worst, this is going to be a good story.

While a bunch of you are talking about equity, I really don't think it's on the table. I don't even feel right asking for it as I'm less than two years out of college. I'm pretty good at what I do and I've proven myself to be dependable, but there is quite a bit I have to learn.

Thanks for the support and insightful questions guys.

Now the next phase, there hasn't been strict talks about a title. It seems that they're relatively comfortable with a "fancy title" that I come up with. What would you guys suggest or go far?

M0nster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
How good is he? If you're talking about a rainmaker who's very well respected in his industry, then you might be in on the ground floor of something big. But if he can't differentiate is startup from all the other established boutiques out there then you'll likely all be left with nothing...

Was about to write this until I saw someone beat me to it. It's all about how good you think the new firm will be.

level32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by M0nster
Was about to write this until I saw someone beat me to it. It's all about how good you think the new firm will be.

Definitely people that were very good at what they do and heavily grew the business when they were at the big company. I am hoping for some great things from them and to pick up what I can from them.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome decision.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by level32
Now the next phase, there hasn't been strict talks about a title. It seems that they're relatively comfortable with a "fancy title" that I come up with. What would you guys suggest or go far?

Take whatever title is common in your industry...and add one to it (you're getting a promotion).
If you start calling yourself a VP or something...anyone who sees your resume is just going to know that that place gave wacky titles and just assume you are at the level anyone else your age is at.

As for equity...it can't hurt to ask. You can always bring it up without asking like "how is the equity structured?" and if it sounds like there might be some for you, go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads