• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SF Brazillian Jiujitsu Thread - fans, competitors, filthy casuals, all are welcome

admin

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Today I got completely hammered by my coach. who is a high level black belt and Brazilian judo champion, so that was expected. however, I also got completely swept and bpdy lock passed by a new black belt who I used to be pretty even with. he is 80 lbs heavier, but still, I felt like I should have been demoted back to purple belt. I felt that maybe I should be demoted down to blue belt when a gigantic white belt (270 lbs) wrestler nearly passed my guard, and I could not invert to his legs. Just way to muc pressure even though he had no head control at all. Everyone has crap days at practice, and this was one of those.

I could blame my shoulder injury, but I am not sure that if my shoulder was 100%, that I would have done significantly better.

I had one of those days today at open mat. Just mashed like a piece of cubed steak by nearly everybody. At the end of it, one of our higher purple belts who is 8 months out from an ACL repair just played top and rode me like a rented mule. It was rough.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I got completely hammered by my coach. who is a high level black belt and Brazilian judo champion, so that was expected. however, I also got completely swept and bpdy lock passed by a new black belt who I used to be pretty even with. he is 80 lbs heavier, but still, I felt like I should have been demoted back to purple belt. I felt that maybe I should be demoted down to blue belt when a gigantic white belt (270 lbs) wrestler nearly passed my guard, and I could not invert to his legs. Just way to muc pressure even though he had no head control at all. Everyone has crap days at practice, and this was one of those.

I could blame my shoulder injury, but I am not sure that if my shoulder was 100%, that I would have done significantly better.
This is why i avoid big guys. Keeps my ego intact

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why i avoid big guys. Keeps my ego intact
Solid advice professor we! 😂 Anyway, I think that my problem was committing so hard to octopus guard. It seems to work so well at keeping your opponent’s weight off you. Then I realized that I’ve mostly seen Craig Jones, who is a natural heavyweight, do it against much small training partners. I think that I might drill and train the clamp guard (newer to me) and Williams guard (brought me through blue and purple belt) that uses the angles from the other side and don’t require swimming past the crossface arm and torquing the far leg. Or maybe I’ll buggy choke the world even though I’ve never hit one and don’t have the flexibility for it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7Glad to find this thread after so long on the site! BJJ purple belt, currently taking it easy for a few months after a rib injury.
Welcome. We have, as far as I know, black belts (@razorfrazer), brown belts (me, also a spiritual white belt, apparently), and blue belt (@admin - also a spiritual black belt), and now apparently, a purple belt. I'm sure that there is a white belt in here too.

Everyone is welcome here.

My only notable accomplishments in BJJ are 1) Staying around so long, 2) Getting murked by numerous top tier guys. Put it this way, if a top 5 MMA grappler tells you "Your defense is pretty good", it means that you were a reactive, and therefore more useful, training dummy for the entirety of the round.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should probably talk current injuries. For me right now, both shoulders, though right is worst, probably just a matter of age (I'm 48) and posting while fighting a lot of pressure. For context, I am 5'11" and 185 with a full meal, but am a natural 170-175 lber, and I'm within the smallest of the male advanced belts in the gym. Everyone else purple belt and above, maybe a 12 guys, has a minimum of 15 lbs on me, and I think more normally 6'1" and 20-40 lbs over me, with outliers like a 6'5", 290 lb brown belt. You do it correctly, but your skeleton still absorbs the pressure on your post and frames. I am also experiencing some sort of neck and shoulder pain. If I turn my head to the right more than about 30 degrees, I have a shooting pain that goes through the back of my shoulder into my right arm, though it's just more generally achy and twingy today. Sigh, another week of cherry picking lighter training partners or people who want to work on technically training or situational sparring.

To anyone in their 20s and 30s reading this, I guarantee that you will not feel the same way in your late 40s - physically, for sure, and mentally, probably. I used to work out/train 6 days a week, and then do a 5km run on Sundays as a rest day. I feel like my body would just disintegrate if I try that now (4 days working out, mostly power cardio, weights 3x a week, and nothing heavy, training 2-3x a week). To illustrate, just look up pictures of Vitor Belfort when he was still in the UFC, pre and post TRT ban.

Lendo

Reaction score
My only notable accomplishments in BJJ are 1) Staying around so long, 2) Getting murked by numerous top tier guys. Put it this way, if a top 5 MMA grappler tells you "Your defense is pretty good", it means that you were a reactive, and therefore more useful, training dummy for the entirety of the round.
My only accomplishment is that Ryan Hall reffed one of the few competition matches I had, and after I won told me I pulled off a nice sweep.
I trained hard for 3-4 years, then I took a 10ish year break starting in 2009 after I lost my job. Finally got back to training shortly after meeting my (now) wife and have been pretty consistent at 3-4 days a week. I'm also 48, shorter and most definitely have a dad-bod.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that the thread name has changed...
I feel that my Eagle Claw mastery might be out of place here now.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7E4D2452-C1E1-4091-A171-19C335BF0F45.jpeg

Recent Injury. I took about half a day off of physical activity and two days off rolling. Swelled up like a bastard.

It got caught in that little side hole in the Gi pants and broke instantly when playing guard. Other than that I’m good, I just keep dodging big people .

Also this SYR rashguard rocks. They did a colab with IBJJF. The master’s worlds larpers crowd go crazy for these.

Attachments

• 8AF29B26-11CB-45BA-94E3-B73FF15124D9.jpeg
    8AF29B26-11CB-45BA-94E3-B73FF15124D9.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 0BF262E4-B386-4DEE-9D7A-A02392773392.jpeg
    0BF262E4-B386-4DEE-9D7A-A02392773392.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 90

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1981089

Recent Injury. I took about half a day off of physical activity and two days off rolling. Swelled up like a bastard.

It got caught in that little side hole in the Gi pants and broke instantly when playing guard. Other than that I’m good, I just keep dodging big people .

Also this SYR rashguard rocks. They did a colab with IBJJF. The master’s worlds larpers crowd go crazy for these.
lol. I just wear the staple black Shoyoroll and Albino&Preto rashguards. I think that I have a RVCA one as well.

I really wish that Shoyoroll would make more A2F gis. Their A2 is just a bit too wide for me through the body, and I don't need to help my training partner's strangle me with my own uniform. On the other hand, the Tatamo Estilo series in A2L is nearly tailored for me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1981089

Toe injuries are a weird thing. You sorta feel like you should not let it get worse, but on the other hand, it doesn't seem serious enough for you to just no train. I've busted different toes a few times. I will usually just do situational sparring for a couple of weeks so that everything is more controlled, and I don't find myself driving hard into a pass or something else stupid, which seems to come naturally.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only accomplishment is that Ryan Hall reffed one of the few competition matches I had, and after I won told me I pulled off a nice sweep.
I trained hard for 3-4 years, then I took a 10ish year break starting in 2009 after I lost my job. Finally got back to training shortly after meeting my (now) wife and have been pretty consistent at 3-4 days a week. I'm also 48, shorter and most definitely have a dad-bod.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I got my blue belt in 2001, and mostly did MMA 1999-2002 (my base is in kickboxing, so I learned BJJ because I needed it and I was curious), but then "retired" when I realized that I did not want CTE. Pretty glad that I made that choice, because some of the guys who stayed on, even the good ones, are really not the same people anymore. In any case, I needed to finish my doctoral thesis. So I did that, graduated in 2003, took a job in Boston, and just didn't find a new gym. I was also fairly burned out on combat sports at the time. I didn't restart until I moved again, in 2008, and then there was a local club with uneven hours, led by a purple belt. I just dropped off in I think 2010 because of the unpleasant leadership infighting. I only restarted in 2016, when, purely by chance, I heard that a guy who had really great credentials had just moved into town and set up a gym. I originally only ever intended to send my kids, but I hit it off well with the owner, one of my best friends now, and decided to go back, a very, very, rusty blue belt, with more MMA grappling experience than BJJ. really. I made purple belt in 2018 (I think?) and then brown belt in 2021, after a bit of a break and with limited training partners because of the pandemic. Back now for 2-3 sessions a week, still - time. body, and other commitments. Based on my performance over the past couple of months, it'll be a good long while before i get to be a mediocre black belt, but I guess that it gives me something to work towards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads