1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Would you follow your partner (boss) to a brand new boutique?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by level32, Apr 13, 2011.

1. level32

level32 Well-Known Member

Let's say you're a decent performer for the past two years (right out of undergrad) at a pretty good consulting firm (not MBB). Culture of the current firm is shifting and mostly not for the better. The partner you are under leaves the firm along with a few other higher level people. Later you find out it's to start a boutique consulting firm doing very similar things.

A couple months later, you get offered to join his tiny firm of <5 people. Pay is better and you probably will have more responsibility. Let's say they only have one big contract in place.

Would you do it?

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Let's say you're a decent performer for the past two years (right out of undergrad) at a pretty good consulting firm (not MBB). Culture of the current firm is shifting and mostly not for the better. The partner you are under leaves the firm along with a few other higher level people. Later you find out it's to start a boutique consulting firm doing very similar things.

A couple months later, you get offered to join his tiny firm of <5 people. Pay is better and you probably will have more responsibility. Let's say they only have one big contract in place.

Would you do it?

Yes.

3. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

Go for it. Unless you're incredibly worried about brand names on your CV this sounds like a pretty interesting gig.

4. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Well-Known Member

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Even if it doesn't work out for you in the end, your being loyal will be noticed by the partner you follow. I'm sure he will take care of you.

Then again, what do I know? I'm a senior about to graduate and I still haven't landed a fucking job.

Can you ask him to give me one?

6. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Well-Known Member

Will you be the only junior person there?

Who is the client?

What type of project do they have running? Are they interesting and aligned to your aspirations?

How extensive are the Partners' networks?

What are their expansion plans?

How many delivery consultants do they expect to have on board?

What is their contingency if their sole client fails?

Can you go back to your old company?

Can you jump into something else if things go pear shaped?

7. JhwkMac

JhwkMac Well-Known Member

Companies are many, a boss you actually like working for.. hard to find.

8. kxk

kxk Well-Known Member

How long have you been at your current firm? Do you have plans of going on to bschool? (alternatively, does your firm expect you to go and get the MBA in order to be promoted?)
    If answers are (1) long enough and (2) yes, then definitely follow your partner, I think.

9. level32

level32 Well-Known Member

Even if it doesn't work out for you in the end, your being loyal will be noticed by the partner you follow. I'm sure he will take care of you.

Then again, what do I know? I'm a senior about to graduate and I still haven't landed a fucking job.

Can you ask him to give me one?

Do appreciate your comments. I think our mindset might be more similar due to being relatively close in age. I can definitely see the answer changing depending on age and appetite for risk.

Wish I could hook you up but I'm not even set myself haha

Will you be the only junior person there?

Who is the client?

What type of project do they have running? Are they interesting and aligned to your aspirations?

How extensive are the Partners' networks?

What are their expansion plans?

How many delivery consultants do they expect to have on board?

What is their contingency if their sole client fails?

Can you go back to your old company?

Can you jump into something else if things go pear shaped?

It depends on what you would consider junior. I think the next person up is ~5 years worth of experience.

I wish I could answer your questions but I can't give out too much information at this point in time.

I really do appreciate your insightful questions though. There is definitely one question that I haven't asked about yet that I need to.

How long have you been at your current firm? Do you have plans of going on to bschool? (alternatively, does your firm expect you to go and get the MBA in order to be promoted?)
    If answers are (1) long enough and (2) yes, then definitely follow your partner, I think.

My current firm doesn't expect MBA to be promoted for one more level ahead of me. I can probably make that level in one more year if I stayed.

I'm planning on going back to school either 2012 or 2013. My dilemma is that the work is in the same category as what I'm doing now (just more interesting), but this overall industry may not be what I want to pursue post-mba.

10. Monaco

Monaco Well-Known Member

If the boss is a good leader, and you believe in his mission, yea. It is a good opportunity to start small and have a favorable position in place for when the company expands.

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Yes, if you're young and have nothing to lose, no if you're old and have lots to lose

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Would you do it?

Based on what you've said, sure. You haven't provided any reason to stick with the current job, maybe minus not having to be reliant [most likely, temporarily] on one contract.

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

It sounds like it might be a good deal. It depends on if you like your current firm more than you like the one guy you used to work for but if you are willing to work hard (the smaller, new firm should be a lot more work...if it isn't, it is a bad sign) the startup could be a really good move.

Does it come with any equity stake (or at least the opportunity?) In my industry, it seems like a lot of firms that branch off either fold (so the equity wouldn't matter) or have a partner who wants to cash out so they end up selling to a larger firm. It isn't internet-startup type equity gains, but it is something worth thinking about if you are in on the ground floor.

14. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

Go for it!!!!!!!!!

15. LaoHu

LaoHu Well-Known Member

This is very true in my experience.

16. JoelF

JoelF Well-Known Member

Boutique consulting sounds sexy and all that but can really be a nightmare if it's not set up well. Any kind of decent benefits, infrastructure, professional development etc.? What are your prospects with your current firm? And definitely nail them down on equity, some kind of general commitment &quot;down the road&quot; is not enough.

17. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Yes, if you're young and have nothing to lose, no if you're old and have lots to lose

yeah, I'd say it would come down to age - if I were under 30 I'd do it. otherwise probably not

18. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

QFT. the only reason why i'm not considering leaving is because my boss makes it enjoyable for me to work under him.

if you truly believe that your current boss isn't as good as the one that left... i don't see why you won't leave (other than the questions asked above). you'll be more motivated to do the tasks and you'll be willing to put your best foot forward.

19. kxk

kxk Well-Known Member

My current firm doesn't expect MBA to be promoted for one more level ahead of me. I can probably make that level in one more year if I stayed. I'm planning on going back to school either 2012 or 2013. My dilemma is that the work is in the same category as what I'm doing now (just more interesting), but this overall industry may not be what I want to pursue post-mba.
    what is "one level ahead"? i suppose i meant to ask--do they expect you to get an MBA to rise to the level into which MBA's are hired? or can you reach it through internal promotion? In any case, if you're looking to go back to school within a year, definitely doesn't hurt to venture into the great unknown. You've already got the "pretty good consulting firm" name on your resume, and being at a small startup firm might lend to a lot of very interesting experiences. As for the industry change, I mean staying at your current firm won't solve that, either, you know? Either way, it's a 2 year shot, right? Long term isn't the top priority in either scenario. Either way, you're either looking to get an MBA or switch out into a different industry. If MBA is a definite hopeful, and I were in your shoes, then I don't really see what would hold me back from leaving, even if I am quite happy at my current job and even if money wasn't an issue. And if what they say about consulting is true, and you've got what it takes to get into a pretty good business school, post-MBA industry change really shouldn't be an issue from what I gather. Of course, I'd second the whole "make sure you get benefits" and "negotiate for equity", although latter might not be too important if you're only in it for the short term.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Young, have nothing to lose, and my mentor leaves and offers me a job to work for him elsewhere?

Well, I had the opportunity about 6 months ago and regret not taking it.... So there's that.