• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 days after cleaning and conditioning the 721s. If I wanted to spend a few hours I could shine up the entire boot to match the toe boxes with nothing more than water and a brush. If I really wanted to go overboard I could bring the toe boxes up to a mirror shine with wax water cloth and brush. I'm not real sure I want to do this. Perhaps someone who isn't going to play in the mud could have a go at it. Stop kicking steps into mud and snow banks. If I keep saying this to myself maybe I'll quit doing it....

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn my boots 3 times, and after each wear they get blotchy in the vamp area before the tonue and after the toe (where creases would be). I wish I had a better camera, but I digress. It's like a raised rash looking condition - like eczema on my boot, lol. I presume this is some sort of moisture or something? Should I not worry about it? It's hard for me to stomach since I'm used to keeping my shoes at a polish. Rubbing and brushing it for 10 minutes straight alleviates it a bit, but the shoe is left dull and the blotchiness is still somewhat visible.

Last edited:

thams

Reaction score
I've worn my boots 3 times, and after each wear they get blotchy in the vamp area before the tonue and after the toe (where creases would be). I wish I had a better camera, but I digress. It's like a raised rash looking condition - like eczema on my boot, lol. I presume this is some sort of moisture or something? Should I not worry about it? It's hard for me to stomach since I'm used to keeping my shoes at a polish. Rubbing and brushing it for 10 minutes straight alleviates it a bit, but the shoe is left dull and the blotchiness is still somewhat visible.

Pictures would definitely help to determine whether its normal or not. It could be the waxy bloom that appears in the creases while wearing which can be wiped off and brushed out fairly easily. The dullness is probably the same thing I experienced with the boot while new. There's a waxy/cloudiness due to the abundance of natural oils and color treatment at the factory. I find that if you wipe down the boot well with a soft damp cloth followed up by a good brushing, the boots become a bit shinier and uniform looking. As others have said, the more you wear, wipe, and brush, the better your boots will become.

seer

Reaction score
8 days after cleaning and conditioning the 721s. If I wanted to spend a few hours I could shine up the entire boot to match the toe boxes with nothing more than water and a brush. If I really wanted to go overboard I could bring the toe boxes up to a mirror shine with wax water cloth and brush. I'm not real sure I want to do this. Perhaps someone who isn't going to play in the mud could have a go at it.

Stop kicking steps into mud and snow banks. If I keep saying this to myself maybe I'll quit doing it....

Man they look great!

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man they look great!

You should see them now. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time water brushing them. The tow boxes are a deep wine color as are the heel counters. The rest of the boot are very dark black cherry with deep red highlights. Hopefully I'll have the right light to catch some of the color detail tomorrow. They look really good, now I'm not to sure I want to go play in the mud with them. :crackup:

seer

Reaction score
You should see them now. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time water brushing them. The tow boxes are a deep wine color as are the heel counters. The rest of the boot are very dark black cherry with deep red highlights. Hopefully I'll have the right light to catch some of the color detail tomorrow. They look really good, now I'm not to sure I want to go play in the mud with them.
crackup[1].gif
I mean really Crane - would it kill you to have one pair of dress boots? ; )

Last edited:

Dayman

Reaction score
You should see them now. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time water brushing them. The tow boxes are a deep wine color as are the heel counters. The rest of the boot are very dark black cherry with deep red highlights. Hopefully I'll have the right light to catch some of the color detail tomorrow. They look really good, now I'm not to sure I want to go play in the mud with them.
crackup[1].gif

I mean really Crane - would it kill you to have one pair of dress boots? ; )
Oh no, now he sees how pretty the boot is now! Now they are going to be locked up in a glass case and brushed occasionally.
lol8[1].gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean really Crane - would it kill you to have one pair of dress boots? ;  )

No it wouldn't kill me. I pretty much ran these through the mill and now I suppose they could live out their life in leisure and luxury. I broke all the "rules" about shell cordovan. How to care for it, the conditions that it can really take with no harm and so on. It's all been documented, explained but more importantly it's been visually documented for anyone to see. Talk is cheap, I put my money where my mouth is and then did what I said I would in my OP. The bottom line is my assessment of these boots has proven to be true and I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Sidenotes:

I did treat the soles just like Wolverine says to do and my hunch was correct. On weathered concrete and asphalt they are much slicker than they were when left untreated. Def more pronounced when it's wet. It's not terrible but something I'm not used to.

Now I want to give some sort of perspective to all of this as well. My 721s have been worn right around 160 times now. Many times, including recently, that would mean 5 or 6 times in a week. (another rule violation, LOL) So let's do some math. It involves shoe rotation. If I rotated these and wore them once a week then what you see is what you can expect in 3 years. Twice a month would be six years and once a month would be twelve years. I mention this only because of the misconception of owning something versus using something to evaluate quality.

Pics in a while...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A timeline in pics from way back in October 2010 to now. Brand new just out of the box. Soon after getting them they get the dreaded SnoSeal treatment. Well over a year later next to my other 1Ks made with Chromexcel leather. Yeah shell holds up way better in comparison. Right after the boot oil treatment. Many thought they were done for when I did this. After the oil soaked in and settled down all they needed was a ton of brushing with water. The patina is awesome. How they look today, over a year and half later.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the pics. Thanks for sharing!

You've inspired me to look for a pair of Tan Addisons to kick-around and compliment my 721's, lol.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh no, now he sees how pretty the boot is now! Now they are going to be locked up in a glass case and brushed occasionally. 
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Oh hell no. Now I want to wear them all the time! LOL! What I am going to do though is keep them out of the real **** I get myself into on my wanderings. In otherwords I'll go easy on them. I must be getting soft in my old age....

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the pics. Thanks for sharing!

You've inspired me to look for a pair of Tan Addisons to kick-around and compliment my 721's, lol.

You'll love the Addisons. I'm very partial to light tan leather. If the LTDs were made in whiskey shell I would own two pairs. LOL. Give us a call when you decide to get them. We can get the entire line of 1Ks anytime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads