• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

ElDave

Reaction score
Well... got my 744s out the other night to give them a quick brushing before wearing the next day. Noticed that the right toe cap (744 LTD) is coming unstitched. Contacted AE (they actually made the boot) and they directed me to Wolverine. I've worn the boots 10-12 times, only to the office/airport/running errands. They got caught in the rain the last time I wore them and immediately this stitching flaw become evident. It appears to me that they glued the toe cap down and tried to sell the boot. The stitching stops an inch or so from the welt.

I really hope they make this right, else I'm going to retrench further into my AE/Alden-only shoe mindset.

ShiroiAkuma

Reaction score
Well... got my 744s out the other night to give them a quick brushing before wearing the next day. Noticed that the right toe cap (744 LTD) is coming unstitched. Contacted AE (they actually made the boot) and they directed me to Wolverine. I've worn the boots 10-12 times, only to the office/airport/running errands. They got caught in the rain the last time I wore them and immediately this stitching flaw become evident. It appears to me that they glued the toe cap down and tried to sell the boot. The stitching stops an inch or so from the welt.
I really hope they make this right, else I'm going to retrench further into my AE/Alden-only shoe mindset.
I'm a little confused and maybe photos would help, but you didn't notice that the stichting stopped an inch from the welt until now? I'm assuming I'm miss understanding. Either way you will not be able to go through AE, they made them for Wolverine so in this case they are completely removed from the process unless for some reason Wolverine returns them for repair to AE (which is highly unlikely).
They have stood behind their product in the past and don't see why this would be an exception. Who did you buy these from?

ElDave

Reaction score
I contacted AE regarding the unstitched toe cap on my 744 LTD and they directed me to Wolverine, who told me that seconds are ineligible for any sort of fix from Wolverine.

I understand that these are seconds and perfection is not to be expected, but this is a clear and unquestionable manufacturing defenct. They failed to stitch a significant portion of the toe cap and that caused it to come undone. I'm going to have them fixed, sell them, and purchase a pair of Cordovan Indy boots like I should have done in the first place.

tsekh

Reaction score

I contacted AE regarding the unstitched toe cap on my 744 LTD and they directed me to Wolverine, who told me that seconds are ineligible for any sort of fix from Wolverine.
I understand that these are seconds and perfection is not to be expected, but this is a clear and unquestionable manufacturing defenct. They failed to stitch a significant portion of the toe cap and that caused it to come undone. I'm going to have them fixed, sell them, and purchase a pair of Cordovan Indy boots like I should have done in the first place.

where did you buy them from?

mstacle

Reaction score
My apologies if this isn't the right place for this...
Now that online retailers like Revolve are unable to offer price reductions on the 1000 Mile collection, is it still possible to find these boots at a decent discount? I can't seem to find the exact color and size I need on eBay, so that's out. I'm aware that wingtip.com offers "points" and free shoe trees- is this the best deal out there right now?
For what it's worth, I am looking at the Courtland in brown.

milw50717

Reaction score

then what is shell horsehide? it it possible that they just started calling shell horsehide shell cordovan in the past 50 years?

Shell = butt of the hide. Cordovan is the processed shell. Processed using a specific method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan

$(KGrHqJ,!hwE-z9rY2KfBP0YIT,SK!~~60_57.JPG

Video of Canadian horsehides being turned into Shell Cordovan. - http://player.vimeo.com/video/4814754

Last edited:

tsekh

Reaction score

Now that online retailers like Revolve are unable to offer price reductions on the 1000 Mile collection, is it still possible to find these boots at a decent discount? I can't seem to find the exact color and size I need on eBay, so that's out. I'm aware that wingtip.com offers "points" and free shoe trees- is this the best deal out there right now? 

Call Crane's store, or wait patiently till the right color & size combination show up on eBay. I bought both pairs of my 1000 boots on eBay for less than $250 each.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're seconds because there is a defect in the manufacturing and are typically sold as is with no warranty. That's the nature of the beast and you knew it going into the deal. Sometimes going for the cheap works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure why you think Wolverine or any other manufacturer is going to give you a first warranty on a second.

You didn't call the store did you?

private eyes

Reaction score
Im not sure if this has been brought up, but does anyone know how the alden indy last compares to the 1000 mile? As in, is a D width the same in both boots. Thanks

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this has been brought up, but does anyone know how the alden indy last compares to the 1000 mile? As in, is a D width the same in both boots. Thanks
For both boots they say to size down a half size.

I have both and yes this worked just fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads