• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Shell Cordovan Is The $#!+

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great restorations.
Count, sorry to see your shells are so badly cracked.
It's very interesting to see both worlds on this thread.

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Count, (I think you may have outbid me on those) I'd almost just ask for a refund, the original picture is that misleading.
Is there any texture to the cracks? or are they just in color?

I tried to get close ups to show the texture but had difficulty. Perhaps I'll try again with sunlight on the weekend.

The cracks are quite deep. Deep enough so that of I were brave I could dig in fingernail in and pull back the top layer.

In my shock, once I saw the rips I immediately took them to a shoe repair place. The gentlemen there said once there are cracks that deep there is no repairing possible. So I think I will continue to wear them until the cracks become rips...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countcount
I tried to get close ups to show the texture but had difficulty. Perhaps I'll try again with sunlight on the weekend.

The cracks are quite deep. Deep enough so that of I were brave I could dig in fingernail in and pull back the top layer.

In my shock, once I saw the rips I immediately took them to a shoe repair place. The gentlemen there said once there are cracks that deep there is no repairing possible. So I think I will continue to wear them until the cracks become rips...

Pecards? and then you morph into the US Prince Charles..

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Pecards? and then you morph into the US Prince Charles..

Interesting idea.... Anyone have experience with patchwork on shell? Seems like it would be difficult.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Count- I'm not sure I understand, were the cracks actually filled with polish? Were they just dryed out under all that polish, but didn't crack until you wore them? Did you just remove the old polish with elbow grease? or did you use a solvent? I'm not super experienced in this area, and I agree with you that the results the op poster aren't typical, but I can't imagine what you expereinced being all that common either.

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Count-
I'm not sure I understand, were the cracks actually filled with polish?
Were they just dryed out under all that polish, but didn't crack until you wore them?
Did you just remove the old polish with elbow grease? or did you use a solvent?

I'm not super experienced in this area, and I agree with you that the results the op poster aren't typical, but I can't imagine what you expereinced being all that common either.

Were they just dryed out under all that polish, but didn't crack until you wore them?
Yes, this is what I think happened

The cracks appeared the first time I wore them after I had spent hours rubbing with a damp soft cloth and brushing with a horse hair brush. No solvents, saddle soap, lexol, etc. There was significant polish build-up in some of the ridges. I was speculating that it might have been to hide the cracks. But in retrospect I would have noticed cracks when I was rubbing with the cloth.

I too think I just got a rare pair of old worn out shell that had been through a lot of wear and tear and, perhaps, poor care.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to start taking before pictures if I want to play here, but here are a few shells that I've "reconditioned". Both of these looked similar to other posters "previous" pictures before I started. My technique is fairly similar, with the possible exception of using a damp terry cloth rag to do the initial cleaning. I find this removes most of the surface grime (and some wax build-up), making it easier to get the bulk of the wax with something like the inside of an athletic sock. Hanover PTB Hanover Longwing

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ fan-effin-tastic!

and I wanted to re-iterate something I just learned about shell. I was using the same brush for all my shell and calf shoes but recently noticed that my shell shoes weren't getting as good a shine as before. I found out that this is probably because of the wax and other product build up on the shoe brush that were transferring from my calf shoes to the shells over time. At some point I will clean the shell shoes thoroughly and buy another shoe brush that is just for my shell shoes.

countcount

Reaction score
I found a good before and after pic (before the cracking). The one on the left was after elbow grease of buffing and brushing only. Bringing out the original beauty of the shell was very satisfying...
IMG_1171.jpg

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countcount
I found a good before and after pic (before the cracking). The one on the left was after elbow grease of buffing and brushing only. Bringing out the original beauty of the shell was very satisfying...
IMG_1171.jpg

That really is a shame, what happened to your shoes, but I think I've learned something from your before and after pictures. Although the body of the shoe doesn't give away the (soon to become apparent) dryness of the leather, the piping along the lacing area is already dry and cracking in the before picture. I don't know this for certain, but I've always suspected that these trim pieces of leather are calf, rather than shell, and may show signs of dryness more readily. I'm thinking they may be a good area to check for the overall condition of the leather.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see this a lot on horse tack and work boots. If something leather is just dry then liberal doses of boot oil over a week will most likely restore the leather to a usable condition. If it's wet or dry rotted then there's no hope and you're just SOL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads