1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Television Series Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by topbroker, Mar 16, 2008.

1. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

Thanks to the miracle of DVDs (and Netflix!), I have a number of complete television series in progress -- although in some cases, the completion of my viewing depends upon all the seasons being issued, which is seldom a foregone conclusion.

I also can vacillate on whether I'm going to commit to a series. I watched the first episode of HBO's Spanish language serial killer series Epitafios the other night, for example, and I'm not sure I'm going to go the distance. Plus: the Buenos Aires setting (there's a city that fascinates me!). Minus: it seemed sort of sub-David Fincher. So I don't know. It was a library borrow so I have no sunk investment.

I'm also not sure whether I'm going to continue with Big Love (after viewing the first two episodes). It's well acted to be sure, but my problem is I just don't get it. My thinking was well captured by a poster at the Internet Movie Database:

One thing I don't get and I don't think is adequately explained is why would someone want more than one wife. The financial and other burdens are enormous, as the show illustrates. There are allusions to religious reasons, but that's about as far as it goes.

What is the upside? What would compel someone to do this? What is the motivation? What is the motivation for these women to enter into such an arrangement? These things go largely unexplored. What sane person would say I would like to buy three houses all in a row, make them a compound, have three wives (and then find three women willing to do this), have a bus load of children, and then spend most of my life trying to cover this up??

Someone who loves this show can explain to me why I shouldn't give up on it.

I have an especially warm relation to The Sopranos not because I am enamored of the mob lifestyle, but because I grew up in the area of northern New Jersey it (very accurately) depicts -- and because it is clearly at masterpiece level. Two nights ago I watched the twelfth and penultimate episode of the first season, "Isabella," and was mesmerized by it as I usually am. This episode has a particularly audacious "twist." There is also a scene between James Gandolfini and Lorraine Bracco in a parked car that is so heartbreakingly good, it in itself justifies the entire medium of television despite all the drivel the medium has perpetrated.

Series currently in progress:

The Sopranos
    The Wild Wild West
    Hill Street Blues
    All Creatures Great and Small
    Northern Exposure
    Hawaii Five-O
    Nero Wolfe
    The Untouchables

Guilty pleasure in progress:

The Time Tunnel (I was a kid when this was first on; it made an impact and got me interested in history)

Completed viewings:

Upstairs Downstairs
    Six Feet Under

(Two very great shows.)

Looking forward to starting:

St. Elsewhere
    The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
    (glad this is finally out)
    The Avengers
    Deadwood
    Mad Men
    Picket Fences
    Oz
    The Wire

Planned re-viewing:

Twin Peaks

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

i have to admit i am currently hooked on Sex and the City on dvd . i dont watch too much tv nor was ever a big fan of any tv series but this one is my first, more so for the stories of the 4 characters than any of the crude sex issues and scenes.
    i have to admit, i love the four: Miranda, Charlotte, Sam, and Carrie. mostly Miranda, i love how they evolved her over the course of the series.
    very heartfelt and moving.

3. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Freaks and Geeks!

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Watching The Wire on DVD right now, just finished Disc 1, Season 1.

Got into 24 via DVD.

Excellent, excellent little mini-series on DVD, Long Way Round starring Ewan MacGregor and Charlie Boorman (John's son). They ride their motorcycles around the world. I highly recommend it.

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

6. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

I will be starting The Wire at some point. Most of the others I like right now I'm mostly caught up on because of Tivo and downloading torrents, but at some point I will go back and catch up on the first few seasons that I missed of some shows like Rescue Me and The L Word. And I'll pick up the third season of Arrested Development just to complete my collection and watch them again.

7. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

A friend turned me on to a hilarious nerd sitcom, "The Big Bang Theory."
    My fiancee is watching the Sopranos. I'm watching The Unit.

We are both waiting for this year's Battlestar Galactica (final season) and Doctor Who to resume.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Very, very pleased to see another Wolfe fan on the forum. I am watching several series on DVD at present. Nothing current. Shogun West Wing Nero Wolfe Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes Foyle's War

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

We are both waiting for this year's Battlestar Galactica (final season) and Doctor Who to resume.

I'm looking forward to Doctor Who, too. Lately I've been watching old-school black-and-white eps from the '60s. Some of it holds up surprisingly well.

And, as always, I've got a couple of discs of the Avengers batting around.

10. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Freaks and Geeks!
    ...was brilliant. Undeclared was decent too. Eagerly awaiting Entourage return.

11. topbroker

topbroker Well-Known Member

Very, very pleased to see another Wolfe fan on the forum.

I am watching several series on DVD at present. Nothing current.

Shogun
    West Wing
    Nero Wolfe
    Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes
    Foyle's War

Nero Wolfe is a great series, for general entertainment value and sartorial splendor. Man, does Timothy Hutton know how to wear those clothes!

I love the Wolfe novels and stories too. If I could be one fictional character, it would be Archie Goodwin, both for his wardrobe and his breezy attitude toward life.

I must catch up with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes -- I've been a Holmes fan since boyhood.

12. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

I didn't know they made a Nero Wolfe series! I was a fan of the old novels. I'm adding these to the download queue, along with the Sherlock Holmes previously mentioned. If you like whodunits, check out Jonathan Creek.

13. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Rumpole of the Bailey [​IMG]

14. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Well-Known Member

Freaks and Geeks!

Excellent choice sir. This is a great series, and without a doubt one of my all time favorite tv show series (sad to say only one season. But an amazing one at that)

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

West Wing

[​IMG] I like your style! I'm also watching this. Just got the first DVD of season 2. In case you haven't seen it, season 1 finale was NUTS!

16. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I like your style! I'm also watching this. Just got the first DVD of season 2. In case you haven't seen it, season 1 finale was NUTS!
    The first 5 seasons of that show are excellent IMO. Great cast.

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Nero Wolfe is a great series, for general entertainment value and sartorial splendor. Man, does Timothy Hutton know how to wear those clothes! I love the Wolfe novels and stories too. If I could be one fictional character, it would be Archie Goodwin, both for his wardrobe and his breezy attitude toward life. I must catch up with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes -- I've been a Holmes fan since boyhood.
    I completely agree -- I was weaned on Holmes, but I never wanted to be Homes. When I watched Wolfe, I always wanted to be Archie, and was also a little sad the the world was no longer like that (not that it ever really was). It is in that sense that I am a very serious Wolfean and Holmesean; the sense that they practice some of which I wish existed these days. And yes, sartorially, the series is splendorous (though the yellow Dick Tracy suit in Death of a Doxy is a little disturbing). You may not have seen my post in LK's desk thread, but you may recognize some of the items and their provenance...the carefully PS'd book is in fact, a 1934 Fer de Lance, and Colt is a .32, and there is of course a Jack (not the Jack, though I know the owner). [​IMG] Do, do watch the Brett Holmes. He is a better Holmes than Hutton is Archie, which is saying something!
    I didn't know they made a Nero Wolfe series! I was a fan of the old novels. I'm adding these to the download queue, along with the Sherlock Holmes previously mentioned. If you like whodunits, check out Jonathan Creek.
    Get it. The new (that is, five year old) series is the definitive Wolfe. If you enjoyed the books, you will enjoy this series. And yes, I agree on Jonathan Creek, as I've seen them all, and while witty, I've not found it has that elegance that keeps me going back though.
    Great minds and all. Yes, I;ve seen the entire series -- it has superb dialogue, and there are so many excellent episodes: The U.S. Poet Laureate, Lord John Marbury, And It;s Surely to Their Credit, Shibboleth, Noel, Somebody's Going to Emergency, Dead Irish Writers, Swiss Diplomacy, Evidence of Things not Seen, Han, The Supremes, and so many others. The first episode I saw was Arctic Radar, which has a joke about alliteration, and as a lover of the English language I absolutely couldn't believe I'd just heard a joke about...alliteration, and on national TV. I was hooked. A former poster once said that TWW gave people hope of how government should be, and that this was it's best attribute. I agree. Too bad reality is not as honorable. ~ Huntsman

18. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Well-Known Member

Awaiting David Simons new series, Generation Kill, to start on HBO. It has the guy who played Ziggy fom Season 2 of The Wire in it and a former cast member fron OZ also cast in it.

I need to watch the first two seasons of The Brotherhood.

I watch different seasons of The Wire all through out the year. It never feels boring. Same with The Shield.

John Adams started tonight on HBO. Not bad.

19. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I've really been liking the UK Office lately. First saw it a year or two ago, didn't get into it. Really enjoyed the US version afterwards and then gave the UK version another chance and found it easier to get into after seeing the US program.

Also have been watching all the past-season episodes of Flight of the Conchords again. Can't wait until they run the second season.

Curb season 6 is awesome. Leon is the shit. I die of laughter every time I see the Rat Dog episode.

20. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Well-Known Member

oz may be the greatest tv show ever.