• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barbecued chicken drumsticks, some plain, some with barbecue sauce
Jardinière de lÃ
00a9.png
gumes persillade.
Day old Shiraz.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Why would somebody take a beautiful piece of meat and then cook it well done?

I prefer mine rare to medium rare.

Jon is correct in his assessment of thickness vs. temperature.

Here's the thing though, even though it's well done, it's still insanely juicy. Imagine the juiciness of medium rear with the through cooking of well done, and you get an Argentine steak.

Jon.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do these: estradiol, melengestrol acetate, progesterone, testosterone, trenbolone acetate, and zeranol make US beef generally better tasting than European beef, or should we attribute this fact to some other factors?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Do these: estradiol, melengestrol acetate, progesterone, testosterone, trenbolone acetate, and zeranol make US beef generally better tasting than European beef, or should we attribute this fact to some other factors?
I can’t recall the taste of European beef, but for the most part Argentinean cows / meat tends to contain a lot less of the chemicals than is found in American cows. Jon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

GOOD American beef is better than GOOD European beef because they have more land to graze and the feed is generally a bit better. Bad, chemically enhanced American beef is not very good, but it is no worse than most European beef.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GOOD American beef is better than GOOD European beef because they have more land to graze and the feed is generally a bit better. Bad, chemically enhanced American beef is not very good, but it is no worse than most European beef.

I can see that. Still, I have yet to understand how, since in Europe quality of products is essential, the good kind of American beef wouldn't have been emulated.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can see that. Still, I have yet to understand how, since in Europe quality of products is essential, the good kind of American beef wouldn't have been emulated.

I am not sure - I think that it is a matter of taste. I prefer grass fed beef, and that is pretty rare in the US, and not the common preference. I think that the best european beef is grass fed, and the best american beef is corn fed, and each is different and has its own fans.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am not sure - I think that it is a matter of taste. I prefer grass fed beef, and that is pretty rare in the US, and not the common preference. I think that the best european beef is grass fed, and the best american beef is corn fed, and each is different and has its own fans.

That's true, the feed has an impact and, depending on the cut of beef (and we know they often don't compare), the taste can be vastly different in Europe, in a good way. Truly, I don't eat much steak, and beef in sauces don't allow you to evaluate properly, so my opinion is very limited.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's true, the feed has an impact and, depending on the cut of beef (and we know they often don't compare), the taste can be vastly different in Europe, in a good way. Truly, I don't eat much steak, and beef in sauces don't allow you to evaluate properly, so my opinion is very limited.

I don't eat steak that often my self, but I find that I prefer italian steak to american - smaller, a little less soft, and a little less marbled.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was making a Belgian carbonade, a couple of weeks ago, and after sauteeing the beef cubes, I was left with maybe a third of the meat volume and lots of liquid. Supermarket bought. Hormones?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, another issue is what the meat is raised for. American beef is raised to be eaten as steak first. French beef is used more commonly in stew. For a stewing cut you would want something a bit tougher and more flavorful so that the gelatin and extra flavor can enhance the sauce. For steak, you want something as tender as possible since it is not going to be cooked for a long time, rather just seared. I remember reading an interview with the famous Chef Joel Robuchon, and he said that the thing he always wants when he visits the US is a great steak.

One year, a couple of teenagers from the village my mother lives in in Franc came and stayed with us for a couple of weeks during the summer. They were shocked to find out that we actually eat corn, and consider it to be one of the real summer delacacies. One of the kids brought home corn seeds to plant back in France, and her family still laughs about it. They just do not see corn as fit for human consumption.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was making a Belgian carbonade, a couple of weeks ago, and after sauteeing the beef cubes, I was left with maybe a third of the meat volume and lots of liquid. Supermarket bought. Hormones?

I don't know if this is hormones, but I understand that meat, when packaged, can be injected with a certain amount of water. since it is legal to inject a certain amount, everybody does it (except for the really high quality ones that are significantly higher prices) to have a level playing field in terms of weight of the meat. so you need to expect some water in your meat.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, another issue is what the meat is raised for. American beef is raised to be eaten as steak first. French beef is used more commonly in stew. For a stewing cut you would want something a bit tougher and more flavorful so that the gelatin and extra flavor can enhance the sauce. For steak, you want something as tender as possible since it is not going to be cooked for a long time, rather just seared. I remember reading an interview with the famous Chef Joel Robuchon, and he said that the thing he always wants when he visits the US is a great steak.

One year, a couple of teenagers from the village my mother lives in in Franc came and stayed with us for a couple of weeks during the summer. They were shocked to find out that we actually eat corn, and consider it to be one of the real summer delacacies. One of the kids brought home corn seeds to plant back in France, and her family still laughs about it. They just do not see corn as fit for human consumption.

Well, yes, Europeans who come to visit always want to have steak, that's the one thing they really enjoy. As for the corn story, it must have happened many years ago. Nowadays, the perception is no longer the same. We can purchase cans of "GÃ
00a9.png
ant vert".
laugh.gif
Now, catfish...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, yes, Europeans who come to visit always want to have steak, that's the one thing they really enjoy. As for the corn story, it must have happened many years ago. Nowadays, the perception is no longer the same. We can purchase cans of "GÃ
00a9.png
ant vert".
laugh.gif
Now, catfish...

It was actually only a few years ago. Perhaps it was corn-on-the-cob that they had never eaten. I have a dear friend who is 82 years old and refuses to eat catfish. She always says that things never got that bad for her family during the depression. She actually gets quite indignant about it.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, corn on the cob is harder to get. Although, my cousin emailed a week ago, saying she'd barbecued at my uncle's house, and on the menu was corn on the cob. I left her all kinds of packages of "exotic" American seeds to plant in her new garden when I went to France in April.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Fish