• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your 10 favorite cities in the world?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going there on my european trip next summer, I am reading Alan Richman's book and basically he said he loved the city but hated the food... hopefully I don't have that experience.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1.  London
2.  Rome
3.  NYC
4.  Naples
5.  Venice
6.  Chicago
7.  Amsterdam

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Naples - beautiful setting, interesting people, amazing food, great museums, great shopping, etc.
I'm sure I can see why may people did not mention Naples, its very dirty. I personaly don't mind that though.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just saw something on TV showing postwar Sarejevo, that place is apparently starting to be rebuilt but is still pretty messed up. Unfortunate, when I was in grade school, we had a guest lecturer that showed us a slide show on Sarejevo, saying it was one of the prettiest cities in Europe... it was quite nice... pretty sad.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Ann Arbor, Michigan
2. San Francisco
3. Toronto
4. Montreal

mnemonic

Reaction score
seattle-dark ambience

vancouver, b.c.- same, but with a much better seaside.

berlin- relaxing, home to some of the greatest musicians and producers in all the world.

new york- america's answer to itself

paris- no particular reason, but it feels very much like home.

hmm...more like a top 5.

johnny.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely you mean afternoon tea. High tea was more like a supper -- a substantial evening meal usually involving meat, generally (forgive my saying it) applied to the evening meal of the lower orders. It's a common misnomer to call "afternoon tea" "high tea."

I think that the context makes that clear. Personally, I prefer high tea, with pasties and real, substantial food, to finger snadwiches and biscuits. But then again, maybe I am, in the words of ernest, "country."

ViroBono

Reaction score
Just so. High tea was definitely for the working class. Those of us who are 'county' rather than 'country' find that afternoon tea does us very well.

lady_nutella

Reaction score
In no particular order (except for London, which is my definite first):

1. London
2. NYC
3. Paris
4. Rome
5. Singapore
6. Tokyo
7. Las Vegas (albeit I'm too young to truly enjoy it)
8. Honolulu
9. Amsterdam

Don't know about 10.

TomW

Reaction score
In no particular order:

San Francisco
Toronto
NYC
Dublin
New Orleans
London
Venice
Paris
Marrakesh
Sydney
Bejing

okay - I needed 11. there are many cities I haven't visited as yet , and the list is subject to change when I do. I'd love to make it to St. Petersburg, Vienna, Budapest, and Glasgow.. someday I will.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Vienna - One of the few unbastardized European tourist spots left. Everything is gorgeous. I'll add Gratz and Salzburg as subordinates. My favourites.

2. Paris - In some ways I love it a lot, but the realities of the city, the gypsy pick pockets, the smells in some areas, the tourism... ruins a place that has literally everything I like (best museums, art galleries, food, shopping, my FAVOURITE hotel).
Don't you exagerate the gypsies in Paris?

I really think you have more in Vienna than in Paris.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-best subway system in the world -newest technology -low crime -no official 'last call' at the bars -large quantity of high end clothing boutiques -large variety of food and drink -if you are white/european/tall, you will get laid. -schoolgirl uniforms
smile.gif
-fascinating mix of architecture -generally nice people -sort of like NYC, but bigger, cleaner, and with a better subway.
Very exepensive city Food better than in Europe? Nobody speaks English Only Japanese or almost If you are white = you face strong racism Hypocrisy of people (you need something, people think "no" but say "will see" smiling as if it was "yes")

mnemonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim,Nov. 25 2004,17:43
-best subway system in the world -newest technology -low crime -no official 'last call' at the bars -large quantity of high end clothing boutiques -large variety of food and drink -if you are white/european/tall, you will get laid. -schoolgirl uniforms
smile.gif
-fascinating mix of architecture -generally nice people -sort of like NYC, but bigger, cleaner, and with a better subway. Very exepensive city Food better than in Europe? Nobody speaks English Only Japanese or almost If you are white = you face strong racism Hypocrisy of people (you need something, people think "no" but say "will see" smiling as if it was "yes")

If you are eating at the nicest places and staying in the 5 star hotels - yeah its expensive, but I've been there on a budget before. I had a great time. The food there is better than SOME places in Europe. Quite a few people there speak English - They are required to study it in school from a fairly young age Yeah, its mostly Japanese people in Japan. Who would have thought it possible? I bet the majority of people in Paris are French too... White people who don't tread all over the local culture and customs aren't (IMHO) treated with much racism. Its the same story anywhere you go - if you treat the people there with respect and make an attempt to deal with them in their comfort-zone you won't have any problems I see no intentional hypocracy in that, its more that its considered pretty rude to just tell someone "no" in a formal setting. They would rather be polite and give the impression that they are considering your request. They do it to each other too - not just white people. Its a cultural thing. Many businesses are run with a very similar mindset. I know, I work for two of them. I'm curious as to how you have drawn these conclusions. Have you spent any time in Japan? Or are these just second hand opinions? BTW this is Tokyo, not Mnemonic. I just happen to be using the computer at J and Mnemonic's house - and forgot to log Mnemonic out.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads