• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 vs Rolex Submariner

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv_indian
Yup - that's the one I meant. Love that granite dial.
The polished center links are a little over the top. I guess they could be brushed if one wanted.

Bandit44

Reaction score
Apples and oranges. I generally prefer modern watches over vintage because of readily available parts. However, Omega is much better about respecting/preserving the vintage qualities of the watches they repair vs Rolex.

Rolex or Omega is one of the most often debated subjects on watch forums. Both are great brands and you can't go wrong with either. I'm an Omega fan, but I'd choose a modern Sub over a vintage Seamaster anytime. That's me though.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If comparing vintage to vintage I would go for the Rolex. It is a beautiful watch. If you want a more modern then go for the newer Seamaster. It is a great looking watch.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so: buy a 5513 if your budget will stretch. if not, get the sm300 for daily wear, and a seiko skx007 for swimming and sports. easy

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
To be honest, I have never seen the SS dial - are you sure?

/M

Correct. The SS/plat Yachtmaster has always had the plat dial.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get a no-date sub. 5512 or 13 if you can find a good one or a 14060 before they muck it up any further with their new clumsy case.

While I really like the 5513 for many of the same reasons that you name, I ended up with a 14060 as I wanted to buy new. In the nearly 20 years I've had it, it's taken quite a beating (I even cracked the crystal once, but that was my own damn fault). It's currently at the spa, for what I believe is only the second time in all those years.

img21671.jpg

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What moron would pay thousands for a stainless steel watch when you can have a solid 18k gold watch for tens of thousands?

I've only seen three of these in my life and one is on my wrist right now

So much for all that dime a dozen nonsense...

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
What moron would pay thousands for a stainless steel watch when you can have a solid 18k gold watch for tens of thousands?

I've only seen three of these in my life and one is on my wrist right now

So much for all that dime a dozen nonsense...

A lot of folks think gold sports watches are pretentious and masturbatory.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
Bah, I love it - I'd not hesitate on a blue gold Sub for going to the beach, a brown gold GMT for fall tweeds and a gold Daytona with the white dial...

/M

I don't mind Gold dress watches but I just can't bring myself to like Gold on anything more casual. Maybe my taste will change with time....

base615

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet but you could always look out for a Watchco SM300 instead of vintage. Essentially a vintage movement inside a new (not NOS but genuine Omega) case / dial. Fully recognised by Omega for servicing etc and you essentially get the same look as the vintage SM300 but in a brand new watch. I have 10 vintage Omegas including the classics (Pie Pan Connie, Speedie, early bumper etc) but my SM300 is by far my favourite, just such a classic watch. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a no date sub too but I'd never flick the SM300 to get one. At the end of the day it's which one you prefer as they're both great watches. Here's mine:
165.0024_3.jpg
165.0024_5.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads