• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not seen scotch grain ones either. I have a shell pair as well. The vast majority of them are corrected grain and, overall, not especially compelling. This model is constructed differently from the typical ae gyw shoe since they are part of the hand sewn line. I am sure that explains the foot bed difference, although I can't remember what the insole looks like on my other pair.
I have a pair of AE for Brooks Bros exactly like those-basically Kenwoods in the Scotch Grain-nicest kick around pennies I’ve found

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I have a pair of AE for Brooks Bros exactly like those-basically Kenwoods in the Scotch Grain-nicest kick around pennies I’ve found
hmmm... maybe that's why I couldn't find them in the catalogs. are your pair marked as Brooks Bros? mine are AE branded.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a pair you don’t see too often. I have seen shoes like this where one shoe is built up because the wearer has one leg shorter than the other. I’m certainly not making fun of someone like that. But, why would BOTH shoes be built up like this?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Here’s a pair you don’t see too often. I have seen shoes like this where one shoe is built up because the wearer has one leg shorter than the other. I’m certainly not making fun of someone like that. But, why would BOTH shoes be built up like this?

From what I have heard, Donald Trump uses lifts in order to look taller. This pair you found would be a great option and would probably fit me but... alas... too much toe drag. Owner should have installed plates.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be from a movie prop bin.
Image result for male movie stars wearing prop platform shoes

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard, Donald Trump uses lifts in order to look taller. This pair you found would be a great option and would probably fit me but... alas... too much toe drag. Owner should have installed plates.

Ha, well I have no comment about the political issue. I do know an attorney who wore shoes to make him taller. They looked sort of normal. The sole was not built up. But, they were much deeper in the heel and the heel cup was quite large like they had a hidden ramp inside them. It was pretty weird.

I also have a friend in Kansas that is 6’10” He is also a lawyer always wears cowboy boots in Court. He is from western Kansas so that’s not unusual. We were at a hearing and one of my partners asked him why he always wore cowboy boots. He looked him and straight in the eye and totally deadpan said, “it gives me a height advantage.” The Judge cracked up and so did I. My partner didn’t get the joke that my friend didn’t ever need anything to have a height advantage.

happypebble

Reaction score
Question: I'm considering trying to get a pair of Allen Edmonds' Jingle Bell Mok shoes next Christmas. (Bear with me, I know it's a while away...gotta have time to save up) Now, you can order an optional Dainite sole in red or green. The uppers are more red than they are green. Which color would look better? Would green soles balance out the majority red uppers?

Leiker

Reaction score
Question: I'm considering trying to get a pair of Allen Edmonds' Jingle Bell Mok shoes next Christmas. (Bear with me, I know it's a while away...gotta have time to save up) Now, you can order an optional Dainite sole in red or green. The uppers are more red than they are green. Which color would look better? Would green soles balance out the majority red uppers?
Yes, go for the green.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, well I have no comment about the political issue. I do know an attorney who wore shoes to make him taller. They looked sort of normal. The sole was not built up. But, they were much deeper in the heel and the heel cup was quite large like they had a hidden ramp inside them. It was pretty weird.

I also have a friend in Kansas that is 6’10” He is also a lawyer always wears cowboy boots in Court. He is from western Kansas so that’s not unusual. We were at a hearing and one of my partners asked him why he always wore cowboy boots. He looked him and straight in the eye and totally deadpan said, “it gives me a height advantage.” The Judge cracked up and so did I. My partner didn’t get the joke that my friend didn’t ever need anything to have a height advantage.

Must be a lawyer thing. I also know a lawyer who wore platforms to make himself look taller. It was asked if he wore them for health reasons, and the answer was that taller men have tactical edge.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be a lawyer thing. I also know a lawyer who wore platforms to make himself look taller. It was asked if he wore them for health reasons, and the answer was that taller men have tactical edge.

Well, I’m 6’3”. But, my Boss is 5’3” and I have seen her take down some gifted lawyers and I would not want to go against her.

The one time I got to see my 6’10” friend in front a jury, it was fun to see their faces when he stood up. He was not only very tall but VERY big. He is like Hagrid. Big booming voice. He wears a size 15-16 extra wide.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm... maybe that's why I couldn't find them in the catalogs. are your pair marked as Brooks Bros? mine are AE branded.
The backlog of scanned catalogs only seems to go to 2009 or so,it’s possible that yours are newer and maybe they only made the grain version of AE for a season and switched to a smooth calf while keeping the grain for BB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads