• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marvaments

Reaction score
Anyone have sizing experience with 1035 scout boots? I've only tried 1035 on a derby shoe where 7.5 (8 on the derby shoe had too my slippage) is good for me there, but there's only an 8 available for some boots I'm looking at. I do wear an 8 on all 2030s. I should probably just pass on them.
I tried ordering my 2030 size for the 1035 plain toe 3sixteen x viberg plain toe but it was too small. Ended up taking my brannock size so it was TTS for me...

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have sizing experience with 1035 scout boots? I've only tried 1035 on a derby shoe where 7.5 (8 on the derby shoe had too my slippage) is good for me there, but there's only an 8 available for some boots I'm looking at. I do wear an 8 on all 2030s. I should probably just pass on them.

I'm E-width ... 1035 boots are 1/2 size up from the 1035 DerbyShoe, for me.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Since there has been tons of sizing talk, i'll put my input on here for posterity. I brannock around a 12E, widish forefoot, normal to slightly narrow heel. Low instep, not much arch to my foot. I don't like too tight a fit, when possible, especially for casual stuff as I like to wear thicker socks with more generous lasts. YMMV, so caveat emptor.

I wear the following:

• Nike - 13D, every sneaker i've bought from them practically.
  • Converse all star - 12D, snugish but comfy
  • MMM GAT - 46, Very good fit, love this sneaker.
  • Alden barrie - 11.5D, very comfy, maybe a touch big in the heel, but I love this last, have several shoes on it.
  • AE 511 - 12E, Dalton boots in shell, roomy but comfy, could have likely done the 12D with dress socks all the time for a snug fit.
  • C&J 325 - 11E UK, very good fit, have a couple shoes on it. I have one 11.5E 325 that is a bit big and requires an insole and thick socks.
  • C&J 365 - 11E UK, islay boots, pretty generous, and can get away with thick socks. Super comfy, I wouldn't want to size down.
  • C&J 348 - 11E UK, Possibly the best fit for me overall, practically perfect everywhere with dress socks, I wish every dress shoe fit like this.
  • C&J 363 - 11E UK, Vincent loafer. Too long, have some heel slip, and a bit snug in the forefoot, not a good one for me at all.
  • EG E82 11.5/12 - Touch big in the heel, a hint long, very comfy overall, especially the new resin lasts.
  • Viberg 2030 - 11.5 Very good for me overall, very happy with it. A hint snug in the forefoot with thicker socks, but love this last for me. I ended up liking it a lot more in person than I was expecting. Doesn't seem too pointy in my size.
  • Viberg 2045 - 11.5 Very comfy, fairly generous. Heel feels good when I wear it, somewhat surprisingly, tons of room up front. Much more room than the 2030 in the same size, but I don't think I would want to size down, unless you really wanted a snug fit.

I hope this helps a bit for inquiring minds.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few on sale at Mr Porter, including these (which I would have already bought had I not just bought a very similar pair).

https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/viberg/leather-derby-shoes/654036

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of 1035 last boots that fit me perfectly. Not scout however. 2030 a tiny bit tight for me but still fine. Size 8 in both

Cole87

Reaction score
I think Whirling is right that most people just size wrong on most shoes, and I don't think they even notice. I used to think I was a size 11.5 to 12 depending on the shoe because that's all I wore and I thought they fit. Now I know I'm actually a TTS 11. I wear a 10 in 2030 and 110. But I did have a pair of Nike lunarflys that I wore for years and years when I was younger that were size 12.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Whirling is right that most people just size wrong on most shoes, and I don't think they even notice. I used to think I was a size 11.5 to 12 depending on the shoe because that's all I wore and I thought they fit. Now I know I'm actually a TTS 11. I wear a 10 in 2030 and 110. But I did have a pair of Nike lunarflys that I wore for years and years when I was younger that were size 12.

Very true....until you get that perfect fit you really do not know you don't have it. There is no doubt I could probably get a better fit in some Viberg lasts...it is just that 12 works for me across the board well enough and for the price of the builds especially the SFGMTO not willing to chance dialing in further. Also the market for size 12 Vibergs isnt so big so missing and reselling is a major blow.

If I had to guess I think a 12.5 would work for me on 2030 and allow a medium weight sock...also think I could go down a 1/2 size on the Engineer to 11 1/2 and be fine. 2045 might also work 1/2 size down. Regardless though with sock adjustments I am perfectly fine with 12 at this point on all lasts...My hiker is a 12 wide and fits terrific with a boot sock. 1035 probably is my best fitting in that I can wear thin or thicker socks and seems to fit well, though the it is the last I tend to like the least looks wise.

Last edited:

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have experience w/ 2005 last vs. the 2030 or 1035?

is 2005 the chelsea or engineer last?

Chelsea is 2050 ... I think it's the sleeker boot last version of the 2005
Engineer is 2005 w/ EE-witdh. U need to 1/2 size up from 1035/2030 cuz it comes a tad shorter in length.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I actually sized my Engineer the same as my 2030/1035 and had plenty of length in it. For me sizing up another 1/2 size I think would have been way to much volume and made it a sloppy fit. As is I can wear boot socks with the Engineer.

Interesting I wonder if my toes are on the short side for my foot. I measure a 13E and have no problem wearing size 12 2030 while others need to go down only 1/2 size for 2030.

Graemsay

Reaction score
I found the 2005 to be slightly shorter, and somewhat wider than the 2030. The issue that I've had isn't so much with the overall length, but rather that the toe curves in on the inside. My big toe is relatively long, and touches against the inside corner.

Going up half a size might have helped, but as a 13 the next one up is a 14, and I think that would have been too big.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get the engineer boot on? I had heard that one needed to use the plastic bag trick to slide one's foot into the boots.
It depends on the shape of your foot, and how well worn in the boots are, and the leather. Something like a soft calf with break in quickly, and stretch at the ankle to conform to your foot.

If you are someone like me, with a wife forefoot, then yes, putting on the boots is a commitment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads