• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked these up used on the bay....any tips for cleaning or caring for latigo leather? They are a navy mto from a few years ago according to seller.

Boots arrived quickly and in really good shape - wiped down then used a small amount of AE leather cleaner/conditioner then a small amount of AE leather lotion the next day and brushed...Also spent some time with a toothbrush, a screw, touch of nail polish remover and renomat to get the wet stitching back to a decent whiteness...as there seemed to be polish/grime on the welt stitching and they were fairly dark ..though in the above picture in the sun they seem fairly white(sellers photo). Anyway kudos to the prior owner for keeping these in good shape.

looking for some laces as not a huge fan of the leather ones that came with these...may order a pair from the link posted a few pages back...suggestions welcome. Will B Nelson just replace the Dainite portion of the heel? That is really the main worn area of the boot.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Replacing heels is fairly easy stuff. Sending it to b nelson may be overkill IMHO.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Replacing heels is fairly easy stuff. Sending it to b nelson may be overkill IMHO.
Thanks I just do not know anyone local that does dainite..also I am in the city a few times a month so I could drop them off there. I may try to hold out until the summer and send them to Viberg for a resole as I am not crazy about the orange dainite sole with the navy leather.

ScuffedBluchers

Reaction score
Quote: How does all of this work? I asked about how to keep that stitching white a while ago and didn't get an answer. I really like the contrast.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also spent some time with a toothbrush, a screw, touch of nail polish remover and renomat to get the wet stitching back to a decent whiteness...as there seemed to be polish/grime on the welt stitching and they were fairly dark ..though in the above picture in the sun they seem fairly white(sellers photo).

How does all of this work? I asked about how to keep that stitching white a while ago and didn't get an answer. I really like the contrast.

Not going to pretend I got more than lucky. First I ran a screw held sideways along the welt stitching bsck and forth and this brought some of the grime off and the stitching lightened right away a bit.

Then I used a bit of nail polish remover and a q tip to try to help dissolve the blue wax or grime. Had a minor effect...then I took a toothbrush doused in renomat and scrubbed the welt stitching. To my horror the stitching darkened while I was scrubbing.

After I got done cursing i grabbed the screw again and rubbed it back and forth against the welt threads and the gunk came out and the welt stitches started getting whiter and whiter.

I am not rubbing the side of the screw hard enough to damage the stitching. I had to clean the grooves of the screw a few times to get the gunk out.

In terms of keeping the white from getting dirty...have not done that yet as my first new pair probably won't be in until january.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots arrived quickly and in really good shape - wiped down then used a small amount of AE leather cleaner/conditioner then a small amount of AE leather lotion the next day and brushed...Also spent some time with a toothbrush, a screw, touch of nail polish remover and renomat to get the wet stitching back to a decent whiteness...as there seemed to be polish/grime on the welt stitching and they were fairly dark ..though in the above picture in the sun they seem fairly white(sellers photo). Anyway kudos to the prior owner for keeping these in good shape.

These look great after some treatment. Clearly a good buy!

misterjuiceman

Reaction score

looking for some laces as not a huge fan of the leather ones that came with these...may order a pair from the link posted a few pages back...suggestions welcome. Will B Nelson just replace the Dainite portion of the heel? That is really the main worn area of the boot.
I've had great experiences with the leather laces from Wesco (they sell black ones). That's what I use on my Service Boots. Viberg uses the best flat waxed cotton laces I've seen from a bootmaker. I've seen really fantastic ones on high-end sneakers, too. Other than that, it's pretty tough to top. What didn't you like about those, or did you not get flat waxed laces with your boots?

By the way, I would probably not send your Vibergs to B Nelson. Seen some pretty messy work come out of there for stitch-down boots (and otherwise). Why not send them to Viberg?

Skell6009

Reaction score

I've had good experiences with the laces that this guy sells.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/roadster6378

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@linafelt Thanks very happy especially being in a size 12 would imagine being able to get such a good pair used is pretty rare.

@sirsigsalot Thanks will give them a try along with all the other suggestions...I have about a dozen boots from various makers so might as well see what is out there.

@misterjuiceman I did not get the flat laces and the leather square shaped ones I am not a huge fan of yet. I will order from Wesco also..I will def send them to Viberg when I have the whole sole changed out but right now the heel is worn in exactly the same place I tend to wear out heels so to avoid any undo damage I figured I would get just the heel dainite surface replaced. I have used B Nelson for some other work and have been happy. However I understand that the double stitch welt from Viberg is unique so for sure these would be going there for the full sole.

@Skell6009 thanks will give them a try as well.

Really looking forward now to my Leffott pre-order of the black boot...I went up 1/2 size as a 12 in the Barrie is usually a touch tight but after wearing these broken in size 12...thinking the 12.5 might be a touch big...Oh well that is what boot socks are for.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
@misterjuiceman I did not get the flat laces and the leather square shaped ones I am not a huge fan of yet. I will order from Wesco also..I will def send them to Viberg when I have the whole sole changed out but right now the heel is worn in exactly the same place I tend to wear out heels so to avoid any undo damage I figured I would get just the heel dainite surface replaced. I have used B Nelson for some other work and have been happy. However I understand that the double stitch welt from Viberg is unique so for sure these would be going there for the full sole.
In most cases they'll only have to replace one of the rows of stitching, since only one goes through the outsole, but yeah, I've still seen it look very sloppy. As far as I know, Viberg will try to match the stitching. Also, if you want flat waxed laces, I'd send Guy at Viberg an email and maybe he can help.

Mutombo

Reaction score
First time wearing the Brandy Service Boots today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads