• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_0678.jpeg

Hi guys — I am new to viberg and shells, if you could tell me your thoughts on these two points:

1 — im currently on a three week long trip in asia. Ive been walking about 10km everyday, wearing these once every 2.5 days. Im worried now i might be putting too much strain on the boots, especially as they cant be resoled due to the stitchdown construction (or am i wrong?). Id like them to last at least 10 years — is it reasonable to expect that?

2 — are these scratches permanent or can i get rid of them with a good brush? I didnt bring one with me. Also, any idea why the top part of the vamp seems to be a diff shade than the part near the outsole? These are mahogany shell.

Thanks guys!!

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
View attachment 2150241

Hi guys — I am new to viberg and shells, if you could tell me your thoughts on these two points:

1 — im currently on a three week long trip in asia. Ive been walking about 10km everyday, wearing these once every 2.5 days. Im worried now i might be putting too much strain on the boots, especially as they cant be resoled due to the stitchdown construction (or am i wrong?). Id like them to last at least 10 years — is it reasonable to expect that?

2 — are these scratches permanent or can i get rid of them with a good brush? I didnt bring one with me. Also, any idea why the top part of the vamp seems to be a diff shade than the part near the outsole? These are mahogany shell.

Thanks guys!!
You can resole them. You can also brush (alot) and get rid of some of the scratches probably.

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love them. How old are they? I have a pair with French binding and I found my round laces were chewing into the binding after only a few months. Had to switch to flat laces which I don’t like as much.
I bought them used from a user here on the forum. I think he must have worn them about 3 times, and this is a model made in 2020 (the year, not the last) mahogany shell

flowen

Reaction score
Hey all. I purchased these 2040s in horse butt a little over a year ago. I noticed when I first got them that the leather around the ankle/eyelets had some really odd wrinkling going on, dissimilar from the other parts of the boot. It reminded me of cheap, corrected grain leather but not as severe. I chocked it up to imperfect leather and wore them anyways.

Fast forward to two days ago- I have maybe worn these boots 20-30 times max over the past year. I store these in the provided bags whenever not in use along with the custom Viberg shoe trees they sold a bit ago. I haven't worn them in about two months and now it looks like the leather around the ankle area is cracking (or at least the top layer).

Can anyone weigh in on what's going on here? These photos are two days after applying Venetian Shoe Cream- they should be nice and hydrated by now. It's also worth noting I live in Florida- so it's not dry.

Thanks.
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1621.jpg
IMG_1618.jpg
IMG_1620.jpg
IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg

Jason16502

Reaction score
Hey all. I purchased these 2040s in horse butt a little over a year ago. I noticed when I first got them that the leather around the ankle/eyelets had some really odd wrinkling going on, dissimilar from the other parts of the boot. It reminded me of cheap, corrected grain leather but not as severe. I chocked it up to imperfect leather and wore them anyways.

Fast forward to two days ago- I have maybe worn these boots 20-30 times max over the past year. I store these in the provided bags whenever not in use along with the custom Viberg shoe trees they sold a bit ago. I haven't worn them in about two months and now it looks like the leather around the ankle area is cracking (or at least the top layer).

Can anyone weigh in on what's going on here? These photos are two days after applying Venetian Shoe Cream- they should be nice and hydrated by now. It's also worth noting I live in Florida- so it's not dry.

Thanks. View attachment 2151813 View attachment 2151815 View attachment 2151817 View attachment 2151819 View attachment 2151821 View attachment 2151823
Interesting… I can understand your concerns, and I have experienced similar wear on a pair of horsehide bluchers around the heal, but I’ve had them for a long time and beat the heck out of them. I will say that every pair of shell or horsehide leather I’ve owned seems to be more susceptible to blemishes and abrasion than any of my cow leathers. I think it has something to do with the tanning process and tight fibers of horsehide. This is speculation, but I could see how the compounds used in tanning do in fact stay on the surface vs penetrating due to the aforementioned density. Not saying it should be rubbing off on that spot, but do you unlace far enough as to easily slip your foot into these boots? I know I need to unlace mine past the 3rd eyelet every time I put my Vibergs on and off, and if not it would certainly stress the leather.

flowen

Reaction score
Interesting… I can understand your concerns, and I have experienced similar wear on a pair of horsehide bluchers around the heal, but I’ve had them for a long time and beat the heck out of them. I will say that every pair of shell or horsehide leather I’ve owned seems to be more susceptible to blemishes and abrasion than any of my cow leathers. I think it has something to do with the tanning process and tight fibers of horsehide. This is speculation, but I could see how the compounds used in tanning do in fact stay on the surface vs penetrating due to the aforementioned density. Not saying it should be rubbing off on that spot, but do you unlace far enough as to easily slip your foot into these boots? I know I need to unlace mine past the 3rd eyelet every time I put my Vibergs on and off, and if not it would certainly stress the leather.
I use a shoe horn when putting them on. I normally loosen the top 2-3 eyelets. What's odd is that the leather looked similar to this upon arrival. The rest of the boots (heel, toe) look great. I just never thought that minimal wear would cause $600+ boots to look like this. I don't mind wear and tear....this just looks bad though.

Last edited:

Jpto

Reaction score

Thanks. View attachment 2151813 View attachment 2151815 View attachment 2151817 View attachment 2151819 View attachment 2151821 View attachment 2151823
Just my opinion, I think they look fine. What is the leather/tannery?

I don't know the proper terminology but I think the leather is surface dyed and so the dye is kind of acting like a paint and cracking in areas. Could just be a normal thing with the leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads