• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pitimespi

Reaction score
I just put on my very first pair of Viberg boots in brown CXL leather and I'm afraid it's a tad bit tight. I was just wondering if any of you had experience with chromexcel leather stretching over time with normal wear.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just put on my very first pair of Viberg boots in brown CXL leather and I'm afraid it's a tad bit tight. I was just wondering if any of you had experience with chromexcel leather stretching over time with normal wear.

Boots/shoes should always feel like they fit well and be comfortable when they're new. Having said that, CXL will stretch a bit but the difficulty is knowing what you mean by "a tad bit tight". This might be splitting hairs but the connotation of "snug" might work as they might stretch enough to be comfortable. But to me, "tight" is dangerous to think they will stretch enough. This will need to be a judgment call on your part.

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends ,what size are they? Only joking.

In my experience CXl gives more than most other types of leather I own, but it would all depend on where the tightness is and how tight it truly feels, which clearly only you would know. In general I never hope for something to stretch when I buy it, which Im sure you did not do here either. On occasion Ive been in the same situation and have had some success and some failure, all I can say is if you have doubt which is what it sounds like, dont keep them otherwise you'll just have a really cool pair of boots gathering dust in your closet.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience with the black CXL boots, it not only stretches slightly, but leather has a slight elasticity. I can put on the boots after shelving for a few days and the toe box feels snug. Half a day later and it's comfortable. I think that's the leather heating up and flexing with use.

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi

Jacket: 36S/38S.
Shoes: 7.5EE-8.5D.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant half a day of wearing them and walking around.

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi

Jacket: 36S/38S.
Shoes: 7.5EE-8.5D.

JPFNY5

Reaction score

I know these are not "in the wild" but I couldn't be happier with these! The seude is buttery soft, is incredibly comfortable and the deep navy defenitely makes these stand out! I have Alden's chukka as well and it can not even compare. Any time I see navy blue seude I am drawn in!! If you are considering these I would highly recommend them.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know these are not "in the wild" but I couldn't be happier with these! The seude is buttery soft, is incredibly comfortable and the deep navy defenitely makes these stand out! I have Alden's chukka as well and it can not even compare. Any time I see navy blue seude I am drawn in!! If you are considering these I would highly recommend them.
Thank You! I had taken myself to the ledge I just needed an excuse to jump.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received word from Leffot that my Vibergs have arrived. Hopefully I'll have them in a matter of a couple of days.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received word from Leffot that my Vibergs have arrived. Hopefully I'll have them in a matter of a couple of days.
Enjoy them man, post some pics when you can.................FWIW I use Rochester shoe trees in mine, they have a partially structured toe, so I cant speak to the difference, if any, on an unstructured toe but the fit is good in my 2030s

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoy them man, post some pics when you can.................FWIW I use Rochester shoe trees in mine, they have a partially structured toe, so I cant speak to the difference, if any, on an unstructured toe but the fit is good in my 2030s

Thank you sir. I also appreciate the shoe tree recommendation. I 'll have to take a look at these if none of the ones I have already work.

BicklesPickles

Reaction score
Went out on a limb and picked up the 11 Boondocker. I'm between an 11.5-12 on a Brannock, so we'll see how it goes, but definitely ready to return them if need be.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just put on my very first pair of Viberg boots in brown CXL leather and I'm afraid it's a tad bit tight.  I was just wondering if any of you had experience with chromexcel leather stretching over time with normal wear.  

In my experience CXL stretches quite a bit in the upper, where you pull the laces tight every day, but probably won't in the toe box much at all if that's where it's tight.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you post pictures of these in good light? Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi Jacket: 36S/38S. Shoes: 7.5EE-8.5D.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads