• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Vanda Fine Clothing Thread

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the ties compare to Drakes?

It's difficult to compare, as the styles are quite different.

As others have mentioned, Drake's ties are constructed in quite a traditional manner - usually slightly heavier/thicker interlining down to the tip of the tie, with the tip of the tie being backed with the same material as the rest of the tie.

Vanda's ties are of much lighter construction than Drake's. The interlining material is lighter and they're not fully lined down to the bottom of the tie. Vanda's ties are also "untipped", with no fabric at the back of the tip of the tie so that you can see the hand-rolled edges. Also, they don't stitch keepers on to their ties so you can't tuck the tail of the tie into the keeper.

Vanda's ties typically also tie brilliant four-in-hand or double-four-in-hand knots, due to the way that Gerald and Diana cut the blade of the tie.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanda tie today.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@justinkapur

What width/length do you order?

We are almost the same height, so I'm thinking of 3 1/8" x 57" is the right dimension for me.

I'd need like $1800 to cover all the ties I threw into my cart. One at a time, I guess...

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@justinkapur

What width/length do you order?

We are almost the same height, so I'm thinking of 3 1/8" x 57" is the right dimension for me.

I'd need like $1800 to cover all the ties I threw into my cart. One at a time, I guess...

3 3/4" x 57

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thesilentist

Reaction score

How do the ties compare to Drakes?

I've owned a lot of brands of ties in the past, including a few from Drake's. I ended up selling almost all my non-Vanda ties, including Drake's.

It comes down to preference of how you like the feel of a knot and the stiffness or lack thereof on a tie. Vanda always does 4 or 6 fold ties, most of the time unlined or at most lightly lined. This makes them feel "airy" a bit more like a scarf on the typical "silk tie" fabrics. The easiest comparison to make (since both brands use a lot of different types of fabrics) would be the Macclesfield neat prints in 36 oz. When you knot a tie from Drake's or others like E. Marinella or Bigi, you can feel the interlining have an influence on the knot (and these ties are 3-folds). The wool interlining almost feels a bit resistant like a sponge. Vanda ties tend to feel more like you're knotting up a silk scarf and the bulk of the knot is taken up by the multiple folds. It has a smoother feel, in my opinion.

Some guys can't stand how Vanda ties feel because of this. It doesn't make the big bulky knot they'd be used to from a "normal" tie. But I really like it and think Vanda's Macclesfields are my favorite fabric type. The silk tends to flow a bit, feels more loose and not as "nailed down" if that makes sense. You get other types of weaves in silk or heavier fabrics like wool or raw silk, which behave a bit differently.

The one thing I've found is that I prefer their grenadines be 4-fold and with interlining. Grenadines "mush" quite a bit and over time I just feel benefit from having a slight bit of structure in them versus other silks because of their open weaves.

Another thing I enjoy about Vanda has nothing to do with their ties, but moreso about their customer service. They're really responsive, super polite and very willing to accommodate special requests. Plus, I like the idea that I know exact who is making the things I own. It feels special.

I own 20 Vanda ties (with another on the way). All of them are in their standard width and length. Here's a photo of them (one is missing because I put it on a mannequin at my studio):

Column 1: Macclesfields
Column 2: Solids, rep stripe, block stripe, Vanda-flower woven
Column 3: Grenadines (gross, pica, bicolors)
Column 4: Houndstooth, PoW, raw silks, silk seersucker

rbj1

Reaction score
This is a belated post on two ties that I had ordered from Vanda approximately 2 months ago.

First I would like to point out that the customer service was superb. I have a hard time getting ties that fit properly given my height and high waist.

On graph paper I traced out a copy of my best fitting tie, scanned the tracings, converted it to PDF and emailed if off to Diana and Gerald.

They cut a tie to my exact specifications that fits brilliantly.

The communication with Gerald was superlative.

I purchased two ties and a pocket square. All three were lovely.

I attempted to take photos of all three but my photography skills leave a bit to be desired.

I will certainly be ordering more from Vanda in the future.

Fair warning though, if you see a tie you really like, order it without hesitation. I am still kicking myself about missing the last of the navy glen check. But I managed to get the navy cashmere before it was sold out.

Regards,

Ben

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grainy photo for a long, rainy day (x-post from Epaulet thread).

Vanda "fancy wool" woven tie from debut collection in 2011
Vanda mud-dyed floral PS

The rest is Luigi Bianchi Mantova and Gitman for Epaulet.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads