• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haband, Savane, Pronto Uomo, Stafford, Bert Pulitzer, Steve and Barry's, Stafford

Stafford

Stafford

Stafford

:fu:

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

. target="action=view&current=P1190334.jpg" target="_blank">
th_P1190334.jpg
Last photo's a bit graphic for a family-oriented forum, don't you think? 0_O .

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^^ I have the same Hermes "H" tie in a different color way.

People are too quick to worry about fakes. I know it happens, but not nearly as often as people imagine.

amadar

Reaction score
Found a couple cool things today. First is a Wool/Cashmere SC (44L) that i believe is RLPL, however the labels are dark blue and definitely not purple. Whats up with that?

Also, this shirt. Never heard of it, but its made in Italy and of very good quality.

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
Apparently someone with my shoe size must have passed away, because I found almost a dozen pairs of decent shoes today over lunch. Went back after work and bought four of them (two pairs of Botticelli penny loafers in different shades of brown, a pair of dark brown Florsheim Imperial loafers with a metal buckle thing, with little wear and a nice layer of dust, and some crocodile slip-ons (still need to try to figure out the maker; it said Made in Italy). The brands are meh, but the styling's good, the loafers have nice patinas going, and they'll look great once I break out the shoe polish.

If anyone's interested, there's a pair of FU Paul Stuart Made in Ireland wingtip saddle shoes with a white middle and calfskin everything else. Roughly an 11.5 D, and look like they were worn a half dozen times. Even though they fit, they're too loud for me to pull off (they look like golf shoes, but aren't).

Also, who makes shoes for Ferragamo? There's still a pair of black tassel loafers and black captoe oxfords that I might pick up tomorrow, if they're still there.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Found a couple cool things today. First is a Wool/Cashmere SC (44L) that i believe is RLPL, however the labels are dark blue and definitely not purple. Whats up with that?

according to my knowledge that is ralph lauren BLUE label.. the same quality as purple label just the older version.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, this shirt. Never heard of it, but its made in Italy and of very good quality.

Nice score! I have a couple Guy Rover shirts that I bought off Fleabay. Good quality and I like the cut. I've never found one in the wild before. I think AlanC found a few once, though.

If anyone's interested, there's a pair of FU Paul Stuart Made in Ireland wingtip saddle shoes with a white middle and calfskin everything else. Roughly an 11.5 D, and look like they were worn a half dozen times. Even though they fit, they're too loud for me to pull off (they look like golf shoes, but aren't).

I'm interested. How much?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[

/quote]

I've seen quite a few of these, not sure the official name (seen it called "Ralph Lauren signature"), I'm not sure if it was ever seperate from polo, I had some RL sig pants with "polo ralph lauren" written on the buttons.

Quality is good, as good as the better polo stuff.

I'm not sure it's a precursor to Purple Label as I've read a number of times on the forum.
If only because I'm fairly certain it around at the same time as purple label (which started in 1994) and while the quality is by no means bad, I'm not sure it's as good as purple label.

Hornswaggler

Reaction score

Nice score! I have a couple Guy Rover shirts that I bought off Fleabay. Good quality and I like the cut. I've never found one in the wild before. I think AlanC found a few once, though.

I'm interested. How much?

Apparently they're spectators; I'm still new-ish to all this and didn't know.

Anyway, I found a picture of a pair of shoes with similar styling (the color on the Paul Stuarts is a lighter tan):

If you (or anyone else) is still interested, PM me. There's also a black/white pair, but from a different maker I didn't recognize.

Last edited:

izzy

Reaction score
It's good to see a thread like this, because ironically my latest thrift store purchase led me to this site.

I was in the Salvation Army yesterday and picked up a John Varvatos mainline suit for $34.

It is similar to the "Hampton" style but with no chest pocket- I'm just assuming that its from a previous year.

One trip to the tailor, and one to the dry cleaner, and BAM- style

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW...I hit 4 stores today and came away empty. Who really needs an orphan Oxxford coat or another Brooks Brothers shirt that's a size too large? There WAS a fairly nice Polo cotton tie but they marked it up from $2 to $4 so I'll let someone else buy that one. My head was also temporarily turned by a pair of Chinese made Giorgio Brutini blue suede horse bit loafers with a squarish toe. They fit wonderfully and I could see myself finally going sockless but then sanity prevailed as I realized I'd never be able to post a fit while wearing them. Saved $12 by not buying these two items, alone.

Those funny, fickle gods of thrift!

I decided to go back to see if the Polo tie and the blue suede Brutini's were still there, figuring there were meant to be mine if they were, square-ish toes or not. I swung by this morning (rare day off) and sure enough, both were still there. I had them both in hand and was about to head to the register and a bit of white flashed in the corner of my view and I turned to see a pair of dirty but otherwise like new pair of AE Orlean white bucks! Size 8.5 D which is a bit small for me normally but AE's seem to find ways to fit from 8.5 up to 11. I dropped the Brutinis, kept the tie and $20 later, I was out the door with REAL suede shoes!

I am cleaning them as I type this. The vibram gumlites look untouched and the heels show zero wear. The insides smell like new leather. Even the laces are still clean.

Funny, fickle gods of thrift.

Socks are NOT white!
IMG_20110721_132942.jpg

IMG_20110721_132930.jpg

IMG_20110721_132953.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re: Stafford, Stafford...

Oh, my god--I laughed out loud at this. I feel my relationship to Stafford is about what the guys in "The Perfect Storm" have with water. Where does it come from? Where does it go?

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

A day I never thought would come. In my size: Jackets are, L to R Zegna, Zegna, Zegna, Brioni. Shirt: Zegna. Pants, Santorelli (I will have to have them shortened by an inch). I see these things occasionally but never in my size. I left 3 more zegna jackets near my size on the rack -- one too big (and the alterations would have included the cursed "move a working button" trick that is in my book disturbing the habitat too much anyway), one damaged, and one looking way too much like a 1970s rec-room couch.

The kicker, and I hadn't even noticed upon hitting this Salvation Army...1/2 price on men's clothes today.

Total damage: $27.50.:slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads