• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the newer ties have wool lining? I have a couple of the older ones that used polyester (which actually draped better than most other poly linings I've seen), but I see the prices have gone up and was hoping this was part of the increased cost.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An 8-inch opening, particularly with fuller upper block, is just comical. It's a mystery why they do this. It doesn't look good.

It depends on your shoe size, and inseam. A shorter inseam will end higher up the taper and will have a wider opening.

for me, 8.5 would be ideal but half an inch less hardly makes it comical. It is in line with other RTW brands in this space, Natalino is just under 8, Cavour Mod 3 is 8, Anglo Italian 7.5, Drake’s 8.3. The only RTW brand making wider than 8.5 to my knowledge is Berg & Berg.

Stylewords

Reaction score
It depends on your shoe size, and inseam. A shorter inseam will end higher up the taper and will have a wider opening.

for me, 8.5 would be ideal but half an inch less hardly makes it comical. It is in line with other RTW brands in this space, Natalino is just under 8, Cavour Mod 3 is 8, Anglo Italian 7.5, Drake’s 8.3. The only RTW brand making wider than 8.5 to my knowledge is Berg & Berg.
I think there's a big difference between 8, 8.25 and 8.5. The problem is proportion and taper. If the top block gets bigger and the hem stays the same or gets smaller (S&M 34 contemporary used to be over 8 inches) then the taper does look comical. Natalino, for example, has some good pieces, but the wide thighs and sharp taper on their trousers looks ridiculous to me.

Harachel

Reaction score
The grenadine ties are back up. They’ve got an info page specifically about them. I’ve usually thought of grenadine as a way to get solid-colour ties with more interesting texture, but what does everyone think of the patterns on offer?

The price is a few dollars less than Kent Wang’s grenadines. It will be interesting to see how they compare in quality.

Last edited:

dhizzy

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on how the grey trousers fit. They're the hightwist mid gray in 32 contemporary. I'm 6'3, 162 with a 32 waist, but I usually wear a 31 trouser.

I'm trying to break my wardrobe out of slim fit and incorporate more interesting cuts with some room to move. My fiance thinks they are too baggy around the thigh and seat area. My instinct is to agree, but I've been so pigeonholed into slim fit everything for so long that my eye may be fooling me.

For comparison, I threw on a pair of navy twist Cavour Mod 3 trousers in size 48 (31 US) that I think fit me close to spot on. Both pairs are still unhemmed but I tried to fold them to simulate the drape when hemmed. I wish S&M still stocked a size 31 OTR to compare. Sorry about the dirty mirror. I don't have a camera setup, but hopefully the images are clear enough to make out the fit of the trousers.

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3287.jpg
    IMG_3287.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3288.jpg
    IMG_3288.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3291.jpg
    IMG_3291.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 169

ptfly

Reaction score
I am 6'1" and pretty close to your weight and find the 1/2" extra in the contemporary fit leg opening doesn't make much difference to me. It looks more like a carrot silhouette to me.
Like you I find the seat to thigh a bit too roomy compared to the slim on my body. A shorter person may differ but at our inseam the hem taper is more severe. I assume you are in the 33" inseam range which only allows for a blind hem.
I too have just stayed with 32 slim as I only have to alter the hem. More narrow at the leg opening than I would prefer but until I find another alternative without a lot of alterations, 32 slim is my size.

dhizzy

Reaction score
I am 6'1" and pretty close to your weight and find the 1/2" extra in the contemporary fit leg opening doesn't make much difference to me. It looks more like a carrot silhouette to me.
Like you I find the seat to thigh a bit too roomy compared to the slim on my body. A shorter person may differ but at our inseam the hem taper is more severe. I assume you are in the 33" inseam range which only allows for a blind hem.
I too have just stayed with 32 slim as I only have to alter the hem. More narrow at the leg opening than I would prefer but until I find another alternative without a lot of alterations, 32 slim is my size.
I'm a 34 inseam, so yeah, the leg does seem to taper a bit more than I'd like and I can't have it hemmed to a cuff OTR. I think the "carrot" look is being exaggerated by my bad camera angle and the mirror. It looks more straight to my eye in person. My main issue with the slim is the rise is just too low. I may try a 31 contemporary in MTO, but I want to be sure that will work for me before I pull the trigger on a non-returnable pair.

ptfly

Reaction score
I'm a 34 inseam, so yeah, the leg does seem to taper a bit more than I'd like and I can't have it hemmed to a cuff OTR. I think the "carrot" look is being exaggerated by my bad camera angle and the mirror. It looks more straight to my eye in person. My main issue with the slim is the rise is just too low. I may try a 31 contemporary in MTO, but I want to be sure that will work for me before I pull the trigger on a non-returnable pair.
I like the slightly higher rise of the contemp as well. I can't seem to find a quick and qualified alterations person locally. I have gone the MTO route successfully on a few classifications but not trousers. I should look at that as well.
I generally ordered slim high rise in dress trousers if possible for the rise.
At a 32" inseam and 1.75" cuff, I am at the limit and I am only 6'1". The unaltered inseams used to be longer :(
Fingers crossed for you. Pls keep us posted.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on how the grey trousers fit. They're the hightwist mid gray in 32 contemporary. I'm 6'3, 162 with a 32 waist, but I usually wear a 31 trouser.

I'm trying to break my wardrobe out of slim fit and incorporate more interesting cuts with some room to move. My fiance thinks they are too baggy around the thigh and seat area. My instinct is to agree, but I've been so pigeonholed into slim fit everything for so long that my eye may be fooling me.

For comparison, I threw on a pair of navy twist Cavour Mod 3 trousers in size 48 (31 US) that I think fit me close to spot on. Both pairs are still unhemmed but I tried to fold them to simulate the drape when hemmed. I wish S&M still stocked a size 31 OTR to compare. Sorry about the dirty mirror. I don't have a camera setup, but hopefully the images are clear enough to make out the fit of the trousers.

I like the taper on the grey trousers better. If you need a slight reduction in the waist/hips (which I don't think you do), it's an easy fix for a tailor. Remember, it's much easier to take in than to let out.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Has anyone ever found that Spier suits have bad QC on lapel roll? I have 2 suits where the 2-button jackets "want" to roll to the lower button. After pressing, the issue is fixed for about a month, then the lapel rolls back to the lower button. Tailor has advised that it's just bad construction.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhnguyen38