• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'm out of town next week, but maybe sometime around the long July 4 weekend or the following week could work. Of course, it being summer and all, y'all really should be coming down to the beach. :slayer:
But seriously, location doesn't make a big difference to me unless we're talking Orange County or Pasadena or something.

dgsdm

Reaction score
Completely forgot, we should do a meetup real soon. How is this upcoming week for people?

istasi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
checked out Altai today

cool space, good vibe, seemed like good buys although their selection of designers is pretty limited. sounds like they'll be stocking a wider range for FW though

ysb

Reaction score
Question for those that drive between LA and SF somewhat regularly: What is your preferred route? I think in general the 5 is the quickest, but I've been hit with bad luck, such as last night (and i know that Sunday is a bad time to drive) but any time saved by going that route was lost by construction (2.5hrs to go 6 miles, wanted to kill myself and everyone around me). If any of you could share your strategy it would be greatly appreciated!

101 is easier mentally I feel, since there's no trucks and the scenery is more pleasant, plus you don't have to suffer through 30 minutes of cow poop air in Bakersfield.

And driving is our best option because we have a baby and a dog, so other modes of transport aren't options right now, unless there's something I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I will probably regret saying this but you can take babies and dogs on planes.

You shouldn't, but technically you can.

As far as driving goes, the only real options are the 5 and the 101. There is no secret alternate route that goes between, around, or nearby. In parts, the 33 will track near the 5 but it is a single lane in each direction and considerably slower than the 101 even.

These days I prefer the 101 as well, there are better places to stop along the way and the only guaranteed speed trap is King City, and there tend to be fewer cops during off-peak times, whereas the 5 doesn't really have any off-peak times and I've seen them giving out speeding tickets at 3am. At that time on the 101, things are pretty deserted. Again, just watch out near King City. I just do 70mph anywhere within 10 miles, and have never had a problem (though have heard of countless friends getting tickets there).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
unrelated but twice in two weeks i was doing 110 and saw chp on the shoulder and had to do full lock deceleration to 70 where the passenger almost flies through the windshield

was pretty great

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just fly not worth time nor gas nor effort, have a dog as well it's not a big hassle if dog isn't that big. Baby is another story though

Last edited:

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

unrelated but twice in two weeks i was doing 110 and saw chp on the shoulder and had to do full lock deceleration to 70 where the passenger almost flies through the windshield

was pretty great

Hell you doing driving that fast. What do you drive? My friend had a 1 series BMW, and he was booking 100-110mph on the 405 from Irvine to Beverly Hills. Glad he got rid of that car.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
m3, 100 is cruising speed feels like 60

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

m3, 100 is cruising speed feels like 60

What M do you have? Just sold my E90 M3 (sad) and got an Audi A7.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
old skool m

a7 is nice, saw a nice brand new s4 on stasis wheels and exhaust at the jw in palm dessert

thinking about a 6 gran coupe next year

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what everybody else has said. 5 saves about 2 hours, if traffic is moving. 101 saves sanity. 101 isn't a gorgeous drive by any means, but the 5 is just awful (exception: after first rains when everything greens up there's a couple weeks of prettiness. lots of places to stop and eat on the 101 -- la super rica in santa barbara, blue sky cafe in slo. on the 5 about the only option is harris ranch, which does have a very good tri-tip sandwich. FG seal of approval.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads