1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Anybody tried Dune in Atwater Village for falafel, lamb, house made pita, etc. Tiny little sandwich spot, it's great.

2. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  3. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Adventures on the 8400 blocks of Melrose Place and Melrose Avenue......

When we are on Melrose Place, we usually eat at Fig & Olive. We went there again today. I always have Provence Roasted Chicken and my friend always has one of the fish things, Today she had Salad Riviera. The bread comes with three types of olive oil, on the off chance that someone wants to put olive oil on their bread and then hopes that it doesn't drip onto them.
    The wine list has almost entirely French wines, so since I couldn't do my patriotic duty and order California champagne, we had Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label. We were having so much fun with our champagne (although not as much fun as we have with California champagne) that I forgot to take a picture of our food before we had started eating it, so you get more food than in this picture........

[​IMG]

There is a shoe store, The Left Shoe Company, on the 8400 block of Melrose Avenue that makes made to measure shoes using a computer to measure your feet. You put on socks with a pattern like graph paper for the computer to measure your feet. I am standing next to the thing that you stand on to get your feet measured. There are thousands of options and hundreds of shoes on display. I am thinking about getting a pair of tweed and suede Spectator shoes made.

[​IMG]

There are several mens stores on Melrose Avenue and Melrose Place such as Diesel and Marc Jacobs, but most of the stores are ladies stores. Since we usually go out for lunch rather than for dinner, all of the stores are open wherever we go, and we look around to see what's happening.

Just before Valentine's Day, we got invited to a pre-Valentine fashion show at Kiki De Montparnasse, a ladies underwear store on the 8400 block of Melrose Place. (There are several ladies underwear stores in the area.) I posted a picture from the fashion show in the Classic Menswear WAYWT thread. Since some of you may only look at the Streetwear And Denim posts, here's the picture that I posted over in Classic Menswear.......

[​IMG]

Melrose Place and Melrose Avenue are interesting places to go for lunch with someone who likes looking at clothing (there is also DASH, the store owned by the Kardassians for people who like the Kardassians) and for extra amusement, you can try to figure out who all the paparazzi are trying to take pictures of.

9 people like this.
  4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Just read that someone has filed a lawsuit against the LA restaurants that collectively decided to use that 3% "health care" surcharge, accusing them of price-fixing.
    I won't repeat my reasons for being annoyed by the surcharge thing out of any rational proportion to any impact on me, but am meanly savoring a small bit of schadenfreude.

5. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

At least it's only 3%, in San Francisco it's between 4% and 6%.

6. CityHunter

CityHunter Well-Known Member

Speaking of San Francisco, SF's Voyager opened @ One Santa Fe (Arts District), right next door to Wittmore. Dope space, OK brands - labels range from Shades of Grey to Dana Lee. Wittmore has a nice little Matsuda eyewear set-up going on right now.

7. brooks23

brooks23 Well-Known Member

Passing it on to the customer in such an 'in your face' way was always going to lead to trouble. Just raise your prices across the board 3% and keep it behind the scenes. Especially when you consider the restaurants involved... if someone's going to go to Animal and pay $35-45 for an entree, that entree costing $36-46 now certainly isn't going to drive anyone away and most likely 99% of the guests won't even notice there was an increase. If it didn't come off like corporate greed from people already making a fortune, I might feel the slightest bit sorry for them. As it stands, I'll be glad if it blows up in their faces.

1 person likes this.
  8. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Amazing

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Never been to Fig& olive, would you recommend?

Also, are the workers at the lingerie store always dressed like that? Or only for the occasion. Otherwise I might have to visit.

10. brooks23

brooks23 Well-Known Member

I've never been to Fig & Olive proper, but they used to sell pastries to the coffee shop by my old spot in Beverly Hills and they were incredible.

11. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Fig and Olive is a nice spot. The ambiance is the best part IMO. Food is good, has a French Mediterranean vibe to it. Crostinis and Crudo are great.

12. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

As some of the previous posters have mentioned, Fig & Olive is very good (except don't go there during Dine LA).

Venividevicebj, the models were dressed that way for the fashion show, the sales staff wore their normal shop girl clothing. The models were there for the fashion show. (There will probably be be a St. Valentine's Day fashion show next year, too.)

Today, we wandered around on the 100 block of South La Brea Ave, which is probably the center of the upscale men's Streetwear and Denim universe. Too many unique and interesting stores to mention them all. You have to go there and see for yourself (on both sides of the street.) There are also Gant and Bonobos stores.

We went into *And Still", a fairly new store, (114 South La Brea Ave) which has all sorts of sports related product. Here I am standing in one of the several rooms of product there. Some of you might recognize Don King painted on the wall behind me.

[​IMG]

Although there are several places to eat on the 100 block of South La Brea Ave, we always go to Cafe Midi, which is in back of the French furniture store that next to American Rag Co., where there's all sort of denim and used stuff (they call it "vintage") and lots of things that you might not expect to find there, like Grenson shoes.

I had a smoked chicken sandwich with a salad and my friend had a Swiss cheese omelet with French fries. There are hundreds of things on the multi-page menu. (My friend is trying to show off her watch in this picture.)

[​IMG]

13. Michaelm93

Michaelm93 Active Member

I'm sorry if this thread isn't meant for questions like this, but I am really having a hard time figuring out where to stay when visiting LA (from the Netherlands, have visited the States a couple of times but never been to LA). As I'll probably be using public transit, I'm kind of looking for hubs that make a lot of different neighborhoods easily reachable. I've read it is important to know where you want to go when going to LA. My main interests are shopping (not really interested in Rodeo Drive kind of stores, more interested in American Rag Cie and General Quarters kind of shops), visiting the various beaches, going for a drink in the evening (accesable bars), nice spots to lunch or dine and finally I'd like to do some hiking. I'm not really interested in the entertainment industry stuff or seeing celebs, visiting the hollywood sign or going to universal studios. I plan on staying at two different places for three nights each. So, which neighborshoods would be best to stay? If it matters, I will be traveling alone. Any advice is appreciated.

14. venividivicibj

LA public transit blows unless youre only staying in downtown proper. if you intend to go anywhere else, you'll need a car.

15. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

For good shopping, nightlife, drinking, eating and hiking, stay for 3 days either downtown, or in one of the cool "eastiside" neighborhoods Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Echo Park in an airbnb. Then spend the other 3 days at the beach - Venice or maybe even Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach.

16. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Between the trains, buses and uber/lyft etc., I find it's getting really easy to get around LA without a car.

1 person likes this.
  17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Baron's suggestions are good, although with the expansion of the Metro other viable options are staying mid-town/Hollywood near the red line (and potentially being walking and/or really short bussing distance to the La Brea shopping distance Roycru discusses above as well as Hollywood and WeHo shops), or Culver City.

18. Michaelm93

Michaelm93 Active Member

Thanks for your replies! Everywhere I read about LA it is mentioned LA public transit is absolutely terrible. Maybe I sohuld consider renting a car for the week. Will it make my stay that much better? I've read that driving around can take long too because of all the traffic jams. And how's parking? Would your suggestions for places to stay remain the roughly the same or would it change significantly?

19. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

20. venividivicibj

When did Uber and Lyft become public transit?