• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can any of that leather be washed?

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can any of that leather be washed?
As in, is it still usable? Sometimes, sure. Does it make any financial sense to recycle it? Probably not. It gets kept around for a while in case someone can use it but after that, I honestly have no idea what they end up doing with it. It might get sent off to be reconstituted somewhere.

Anyway, here's a very rough no-sew wallet prototype (a la Maxx & Unicorn):

Tried to make it taller to fit RMB. Need to adjust my pattern a bit, but it works!

I do still want to try that MA+ wallet. I've just never handled one in person so I'll probably need to either find one in a store, or do a lot of experimenting w/ paper, or both.

Last edited:

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of jeans that have lots of holes in one of the back pockets. If I had that leather, I'd use it to make a new back pocket.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose it depends what you guys are working on. If that leather is going on sofa cushions...its not like you've got enough leftover there to cover anything and thus its not really wasteful.

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends what you guys are working on. If that leather is going on sofa cushions...its not like you've got enough leftover there to cover anything and thus its not really wasteful.
Footwear actually. Scraps get used for samples when possible, but obviously for production we'd need a lot more of the same leather.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if attached to clothing would it withstand washing or dry cleaning?

ghdvfddzgzdgz has a great idea about worn jean pockets.

how about these.
a leather patch of your creation for a jean with no patch of its own.
or colorful elbow patches on a jacket.
leather edges to protect jacket pocket openings, and sleeve cuffs.
leather heel guards on trousers and jeans
coasters if your a drinker, different colors and shapes for each guest.
a pouch for your device hanging from your belt.

come on guys, more ideas.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SO here is my first attempt with DIY things.

Met Billy from cause & effects belts and purchased an awesome custom piece, which inspired me to mess around with making custom leather stuff.

Here is my first attempt using tandy goods stuff. Dyed blue with orange acrylic paint on top. Inspired by my favorite piece of art, Rothko's #14
Used a sponge cuz I got excited and forgot to buy brushes. Caused some air bubbles, so lesson learned for next time.

Has some paint left over so I margeila'd my old sambas.

What do you guys think?

valjester

Reaction score
SO here is my first attempt with DIY things.

Met Billy from cause & effects belts and purchased an awesome custom piece, which inspired me to mess around with making custom leather stuff.

Here is my first attempt using tandy goods stuff. Dyed blue with orange acrylic paint on top. Inspired by my favorite piece of art, Rothko's #14
Used a sponge cuz I got excited and forgot to buy brushes. Caused some air bubbles, so lesson learned for next time.

Has some paint left over so I margeila'd my old sambas.

What do you guys think?
Belt is sick. What dye did you us for it? The belt I made from the Eco-Flo all-in-one stuff from Tandy stuff isn't waterproof in the least. I got a drop of water on it after washing my hands and the smudge still won't come off.

Also, would you recommend brushes over sponges for applying the dye? Doesn't that cause streaking?

poorman

Reaction score

Painted my GATs on an impulse. Didn't bother cleaning or sanding, just grabbed some cheap ass acrylic paint I had lying around and went to town, so we'll see how they wear, but I'm happy. Here they are after a day's wear:
LL
In other news, I saved some leather scraps from the trash at work. What should I make with them?
LL
:wow: Can I have some of the black leather? :D I want to reupholster a vintage Concor saddle!

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relaxed trousers!!!
The idea came from wanting the perfect pair of pants and the ability to have them made in any material i wanted :)
I started off by taking some measurements of my favourite pants (silent by Damir Doma) and tweaking some things.
I added length in the crotch, width to the thigh, less of a taper. When i had my final measurements it was time to research!
Calling and emailing some local tailors i finally decided to take the plunge and put my trust in someone that i had not worked with before. After meeting him he said he used to work and apprentice under a familiar name, my father's old tailor!! i had no doubts anymore...

We talked about details as i handed over the measurements. Specifications like darting over the back pocket, non-lined waistband (so i can wear them oversized and cinch them in comfortable), welt pockets, and of course fabric!!
The fabric is an all year wool with a slight herringbone effect. it drapes and crinkles like a fabric of this quality should. Pics show how light it is. The front is also half lined.

It took about 3 weeks and the pants were done. When I showed up he asked what type of button I'd like for the waistband. I chose MOP and he stitched it on within the minute.

Despite being seen as wool dress pants, they are very versatile. I wear these with sneakers and boots.

Very happy with the outcome.

WAYWT links:

winter
http://www.styleforum.net/t/164384/the-waywt-discussion-thread/87540#post_6157734

summer
http://www.styleforum.net/t/164384/the-waywt-discussion-thread/96660#post_6415214

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are ******* cool. Excellent project, and it seems like they turned out perfectly. Been wondering about those for a while!

Also, it is almost scary how different you look from when you first started posting here.

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments and feedback everyone!
thanks synth, I've learned a whole bunch from styleforum and yourself!! :eek:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are great snow! They just need a name to really take off. Might I suggest ....

The Lonely Star pants?

Ebbing Sky ...

The Lonely Constellation ...

The Bethlehem.

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Bethlehem sounds appropriate :laugh:
but maybe we should stay away from something so religious :p

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we have some proper fit pics mr. snow?
smile.gif

those are exactly the trousers I want

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads