• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, here's a very rough no-sew wallet prototype (a la Maxx & Unicorn):
I've been using the "final" version of this for a couple weeks now and it's holding up pretty well.

Here's the pattern I used. It's pretty easy to figure out from here. May need to be adjusted depending on the type of leather though. I also made mine taller to fit RMB. The nice thing is most of the edges don't need to be perfect since they're tucked in.

Diglet

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good way to distress some black doc marten derbies? Leather looks a bit plasticy and was hoping there's a good way to speed up the wear.

DanIsThe

Reaction score
Is painting shoes still cool? I hope so.

I took an old pair of Converse I had and didn't wear.

Taped off the sole and painted them with some black acrylic and gloss finish mixed and went over the grey line with a black felt. Seemed pretty true to the aesthetic.

Then they looked pretty cool I think.

Still wanna get some x-long laces (probably for ice skates) for ultimate wraps.

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol they look a lot like the (~$2000) augusta sneakers

messenger309

Reaction score
New to the thread. Someone in the thrifting thread said I should post this here.

Wool/Cashmere Seven fold tie. Untipped with Hand rolled edges.

coreysyms

Reaction score
Popover. Constructed of a medium weight high thread count Japanese cotton. Old school side tabs make easy on and off. Finished with a white Oxford cloth contrast collar cut 3/16 inch larger than standard, for that "go to hell" look. "Anchor" mother of pearl buttons and reverse stripe flap front chest pocket rounds it out. What do you all think.. PS I'm new here, so be nice!

runyourchain

Reaction score

Thrifted some black wingtips, painted the midsoles gold. Simple project. Ballin' on a budget. Those look great. What kind of paint did you use? Also did you use painter's tape? Been wearing these with black/white jeans but maybe that isn't the right thing to do ?

DanIsThe

Reaction score
Nope I didn't tape those ones, just was careful with the brush. You can be not so careful if you're like the Margielas that I totally ripped the idea from

I used the gold metallic acrylic paint from the Wal-Mart craft section as well as lots of the gloss varnish stuff that is usually right by it. A couple coats of the gold then a couple more of the varnish with a little gold mixed in. This gave them really really even colour that I didn't like at all - looked too perfect with the slightly creased leather - so I gave them a couple light passes with sandpaper.

Stissius

Reaction score
Popover. Constructed of a medium weight high thread count Japanese cotton. Old school side tabs make easy on and off. Finished with a white Oxford cloth contrast collar cut 3/16 inch larger than standard, for that "go to hell" look. "Anchor" mother of pearl buttons and reverse stripe flap front chest pocket rounds it out. What do you all think.. PS I'm new here, so be nice!

That looks great. Where did you get the fabric? And where did you learn to make shirts? I've been toying with the idea myself since I've been looking for a very specific shirt, but haven't been able to find anything like it. I've been doing things like hemming pants, making pocket squares and easy things like that to improve my tailoring skills. Was it hard to make or does it just take lots of practice?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads