1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Quite a few. :smarmy:

2. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

I actually made it in a weaving class I had for my major. It was just a sample of different types of weave patterns.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    3 people like this.
  3. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

^ looks very good though, should do a whole jacket or coat out of it

1 person likes this.
  4. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

I actually have something else in mind. There's a place in SF called scrap where they basically donate a variety of stuff from stone to fabrics to books. I found this cape thing from SF opera, thick brown/black paisley embroidered possibly silk? Gonna see if I can mock something up from it. It was also only $15

That fabric I made is only like 2' X 10" it's not enough and hella time consuming, I only took the class because I had to

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. canstyleace

I'll be back in sf next fall, will check that scrap place out, thanks for the tip

I've enjoyed dying stuff but my wife has been taking sewing and pattern-making classes for a few months now and shes finally at the stage where she can make a full garment from scratch, we just need some interesting fabrics

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  6. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

I'll be back in sf next fall, will check that scrap place out, thanks for the tip

I've enjoyed dying stuff but my wife has been taking sewing and pattern-making classes for a few months now and shes finally at the stage where she can make a full garment from scratch, we just need some interesting fabrics.

She can make from scratch? Tell her, its better to make from cloth. Just my opinion.

2 people like this.
  7. canstyleace

8. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

another musical inspiration from Duke Dumont

this is turning out to be summerlicious

9. colabear

colabear Well-Known Member

Not everyone has a budget or available time traveling to Tokyo or Paris, but you can still have a quick escape from your tiring daily routine. By wearing "getaway" clothes, trying out a new ethnic cuisine, and experiencing culture via a trip to the museum or a cinema, you can have a mini vacay in the comfort and convenience of your own town.

Feeling the cool breeze of Nantucket and the warmth of the sunshine from a walk in the Louvre in Paris, this is what inspired this "getaway" clothes

Escape the confinement of your cubicle and wash ashore in this Offiz/Vacay shirt: yellow tattersall w/ pink, grey, cream, Hawaiian print
    [​IMG]

Whether a French sailor or a prepster from Cape Cod, you can be both by wearing the Nantucket Trompe L' Oeil shirt: pink oxford shirt w/ contrasting sailor striped knit sleeves and built-in navy cotton vest
    [​IMG]

A chic and whimsical Goldfish Fourre Tout in canvas and leather to hold your gathered treasure or for bargain shopping
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    3 people like this.
  10. a tailor

Hi Eazye

Great job there. I take it this is not your first DIY venture?
    To do a reverse engineer on a garment the toughest thing is to flatten parts without changing the parts shape.
    Are you doing your own alterations?

good luck

Alex

11. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

a friend who was moving gave me his black leather cons. So i put leather laces in and painted them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like the effect on the black leather more than the white canvas version i tried last year. the laces are too short, but they were what i had on hand at the time, and now they are painted into place anyway.

4 people like this.
  12. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex! I'm actually a fashion design major at Columbia, so I've taken pattern making, advanced garment construction, ect. This was the first garment I've reversed engineered though. I've also slowly been tackling my own alterations.

13. a tailor

Thanks Alex! I'm actually a fashion design major at Columbia, so I've taken pattern making, advanced garment construction, ect. This was the first garment I've reversed engineered though. I've also slowly been tackling my own alterations.[/quote

AHA!\
    I was wondering why that pattern had a pros look to it.
    If you want to talk about anything just ask. tailor1@gmail.com

You might find this website interesting. "tailor and cutter"

Also on stylefourm, use search and ask for "tailors technical tutorials".

14. boned

boned Well-Known Member

Had a pair of cream camel leather GATs that never saw any wear because the leather had oxidized to a piss-yellow. Figured what the hell and bought a bottle of Fiebings white dye and clear coat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    11 people like this.
  15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

After some inspiration and feedback from people here and a short discussion in RFT I finally made myself a clothing rack over the weekend. Finally dried and put together this morning.
    I didn't take many "process" pics but figured I'd post what I did and what I used in case anybody else is curious.

Parts:

I used 3/4" black iron pipe for the frame and a 12"x2"x12' piece of pine for the shelf (cut in half for 2 x 12"x2"x6' shelves)

Pipe pieces - all 3/4" pipe
    3 x 60" straights (2 uprights and the cross bar)
    2 x T-pieces (for attaching the uprights and cross bar)
    2 x 2" nipples (for some lift above the cross bar and a place to attach the top shelf)
    4 x flanges (basically the "feet" that I screwed the top and bottom shelf into)

the pine board

4 x casters (so I can roll it, although it's lighter than I was expecting)

Steps:

First) So I took it all home, cut the pine and sanded it (coarse all over and medium grade for the edges and corners)

Second) I cleaned the piping with a wire brush and wiped it down with rubbing alcohol (to get all the prep oils of it)

Third) While pipe was drying I painted the shelves (ebony interior wood stain)

[​IMG]

Fourth) While the first coat of stain was drying I screwed together the frame and painted it ("flat iron" Rust-O spray paint)

[​IMG]

Fifth) second coat of stain

Sixth) the next day I put the casters on the bottom shelf

[​IMG]

Seventh) Lined it up and screwed it all together.

Finished:
    [​IMG]

Functional:
    [​IMG]

Things I'd do differently: Buy a drill. I basically hammered a nail in everywhere as a pilot hole, pulled the nail out and then put the screws in by hand. It would've taken about 1/8th of the time if I had a drill).

22 people like this.
  16. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member

How hard would it be to add a piece of leather to the back of a coat collar? Not sure what the technical term for it is.

17. boned

boned Well-Known Member

Nice rack. Mind if I ask what camel coat that is? Been looking for one, and that one is right up my alley.

18. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

It's a W+H camel mac coat from, I think, AW13. fwiw AMI has been doing great camel overcoats the last few years (although this seasons has same pretty lame lapels and is >1k)

19. boned

boned Well-Known Member

Ah thanks. Will keep an eye out for AMI and the W+H. Club Monaco has some on clearance, may check out their store this afternoon to see what they have.

20. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Is it stable? Those wheels don't look very far apart