1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. MGHM

MGHM Member

Do you still wear these?
    If so, what do they look like now?

2. Rommel

Rommel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wore them throughout the summer and the paint is wearing off in areas of stress and the red is showing through, just as I was hoping for. I didn't use "crackle" type paint so they don't crack like the MMM versions.

2 people like this.
  3. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

So here's a kind of weird question: what would happen if I rit-dyed brand new raw denim jet black? Would the dye take at all?

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Sure, you will have black pants.

Unlike black jeans, both the warp and the weft will be black.

Also, I am not sure, but does RIT have the best black? IIRC, their black is fairly blue (and you are doing it over dark blue denim presumably), so your pants might not end up looking black in sunlight..more of a really dark blue.

5. fireflygrave

So, the effect of both the warp and weft being black... would that just mean the pants will fade differently?

Any recs for a better true black fabric dye? I have a couple things that need it.

6. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

I bought an iDye brand black thru ebay for the jean-dying project I posted about last year in this thread. I think it was the "gunmetal" color but I'm not sure. I liked how it turned out--black.

But actually a lot of black jeans have a black warp and weft. Levi's, for example.

I think the dye will take. Hard to say about fade changes though. It could look like the "black overdye" indigo jeans you see around. My DIY black jeans have faded in spots to their original gray color and I like it a lot.

7. fireflygrave

Cool. I need some tougher jeans for studio and woodworking but I'd like to be able to wear them around as well. Figured I might try those secondnarrow j-cuts but I don't like wearing indigo jeans. Unfortunately it looks like they're sold out so the hunt continues.

8. fireflygrave

Here's another question about dyeing: I have a canvas backpack with canvas straps. Is there any way to tell whether it's been finished in some way that prevents dyeing or staining? And how long would the dye bleed if it did take? I don't want to turn it black only to find I can't carry any papers or anything in it.

9. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Well-Known Member

sorry, i don't know. dying is always a crapshoot.

10. Surferbruce

Surferbruce Member

Get something better than Rit unless you want purple-grey jeans

2 people like this.
  11. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Ok lots of questions.

Hard to tell if the black dye will take to indigo. I just tried dyeing some faded black jeans to make them inkier black, but it didn't really work.

Secondnarrow is cool, but for that price, why not get some BBS jcuts?

Some canvas backpacks are coated in wax. You'd be able to tell. If it's raw canvas, it should dye just fine. Just follow the instructions based on fabric content. The more nylon, the more vinegar you should use

1 person likes this.
  12. fireflygrave

Man, if you know where to get BBS j-cuts or anything like that with heavy denim for $250, you let me know. Never seen those under $600 even on deep discount.

13. troika

troika Well-Known Member

First time working with leather, and I got about 9sq ft of lamb in distressed black. I ordered it online and the store promised a thick 2oz, but it's only about the thickness of a dime. I'm not sure what to make out of it as I originally bought it for a tote bag.

Leather is very soft and pliable... Wouldn't mind a jacket out of it.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  14. fireflygrave

if you still want a bag you could consider making a canvas lining, might give it some more structure

15. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

Bruhhhh lemme at that

16. troika

troika Well-Known Member

WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS STUFF??

17. jwalterweather

jwalterweather Well-Known Member

Make a knockoff MA+ accordion wallet. Amazing, detailed instructions from @fireflygrave spoliered below (from an earlier post in this thread).

2 people like this.
  18. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

if you're ok with pattern making I'd take a stab at an unlined raw edged/hemmed moto jacket

alternatively I'd do something similar to a soloist jacket, whereas I'd take an existing well fitting cotton, blend or linen jacket or shirt-jacket and I'd stitch leather panels over the fabric, preferably the jacket would be a lighter color to give some contrast as it "peaks" through in between the leather panels, this is totally doable as long as you're ok stitching leather, you can make the panels by recreating the existing ones on the jacket or breaking them up as you please over each area

or just do a big slouchy tote or a big over the shoulder sling bag

2 people like this.
  19. troika

troika Well-Known Member

This is cool, not a bad first project.

Jacket is miles ahead of where I'm at. Might try the bag, but my leather is about the same thickness as@fireflygrave @fireflygrave 's.

Will it be able to handle something like this? http://howdidyoumakethis.com/simple-leather-tote-bag/

20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You could do something like an eeeevil version of the Levi's boxing bag?