• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping you gents can provide some guidance on sizing. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first Aberdeen-lasted Aldens (specifically, king tassels). I went to the Brooks Brothers in my town and tried on an 8.5d and a 9d. I assumed they were on the Aberdeen, although the sales reps had no clue (in fact, when I asked about confirming that these shoes were made by Alden by virtue of how skinny the box they came in was, the rep told me they were made by "cordovan"; smh...).

I went first with the 9D, which should have been tts. It's comfy enough, but with a moderate amount of heel slippage while wearing a no-show sock. Toe box was plenty comfy, maybe a bit roomy.

I tried the 8.5D. The toe box is snug, but not oppressive and not necessarily likely to be painful on a pinky toe. Very little heel slippage, which I would imagine will settle down once the cork gives way.

My understanding of Aberdeen sizing is that one almost always goes true to size. I'm curious about whether there are Alden guys out there who ended up going Barrie size for Aberdeen? Particularly for those of you who have widish feet...

Does it make sense for me to try the 8.5E from Alden to make sure there is enough room in the toe box such that my little piggies arent cramped after an 8 hour day? BB reps tell me they don't do E sizes :(

Thanks for any help you can provide!
I'm a 9d in the aberdeen and 8.5 in the barrie last (shell only). For some reason, I wear 9d in the barrie calf shoes. Loafers are always tricky, though.

I'm pretty sure that BB does do E sizes. Sounds like 8.5E may be right for you.

LittleViti

Reaction score

True -- they carry all widths (and most are in-stock) for this model at least
@docalden2013

Last edited:

docalden2013

Reaction score
I am TTS on Barrrie but go up a half on Aberdeen because of the narrower toe box....I do the same for Grant and Plaza

Thanks Don for your feedback! I haven't been posting much, but please let me take this opportunity to say your pics continue to be awesome. Way to go!
Can't help with the Aberdeen sizing, but you do know about the BB corporate discount sale tomorrow, right?
Should be 30%.
And free shoprunner with Amex.
Thanks, zippyh, for always coming to my assistance. Still recovering from my Barbour Commander purchase that you inspired. Working for myself, I have no idea what the corporate discount at BB entails. Can I get in on it since I'm not part of a corporation? And what's this shoprunner thing? Sorry to be so ignorant...

Doc, I may be the exception rather than the norm, but I went to an Alden store to try all the possible sizes on. I am a 10.5C TTS and tried on 10C, 10D, 10.5B, 10.5C, 10.5D, 11A, 11B, and 11C. I bought the 11B as they were the perfect fit with virtually no slip and a comfy toe box, so I went up a size in length, but down in width. Not sure if that helps you, but what I did. I am very picky on the sizing of loafers as I can't do much to combat poor fit, such as tie looser or anything.

I ended up getting the Alden #8 Tassel, but if I could do it again, I would get the BB variant as I really like the foxing on the back of the loafer. Finally, yes the BB Cordovan Tassel Loafer is made by Alden and is on the Alden Aberdeen last or Alden for BB equivalent.

-Mike

Thanks, Mike. I once went from Barrie 8.5d to Van 9C for an LHS and regretted it. I'm thinking I might try to do the 9C and an 8.5E and see how the heel slippage compares.
I'm a 9d in the aberdeen and 8.5 in the barrie last (shell only). For some reason, I wear 9d in the barrie calf shoes. Loafers are always tricky, though.

I'm pretty sure that BB does do E sizes. Sounds like 8.5E may be right for you.
Thanks cool!

True -- they carry all widths (and most are in-stock) for this model at least
@docalden2013
That's what I thought. I always get concerned about being steered in the wrong direction when the sales person appears to know less than I do about things. I got the sense she didn't feel like looking up the information.

I'll see if I can prevail upon the BB folks to find the non-D sizes for me. If not, I guess this means I have to bite the bullet and ask my local Alden carrier to ship some shoes in, for which I'll be charged $10 per pair not taken. I hate to cast aspersions, but the local guy here is a bit irritable and uncooperative (no, not NYC, DC or SF).

I appreciate so much the opportunity to ask about a sizing nuance knowing that I'll get carefully detailed feedback. I'm so thankful for this thread.

aldenwear

Reaction score

10.5 tts.
He asked.
If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions.

Nothing scary about the question. The answer was just showing off. While I think the old maxim "If you have got it, flaunt it" applies here, you have to admit that the reason you posted that pic was because you wanted to hear all the way in San Diego the collective cries of anguish from across the globe.

And I know you heard them! And I was one of them. Great looking make-up!

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To those of you that wear your LHS sockless - would you also wear your tassel loafers sockless? My color 8 full straps have replaced my ravello tassels as my "dress loafers" for suits... Thinking about making the tassels a bit more casual

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

To those of you that wear your LHS sockless - would you also wear your tassel loafers sockless? My color 8 full straps have replaced my ravello tassels as my "dress loafers" for suits... Thinking about making the tassels a bit more casual

That is up to you, but I think it can work.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0zFrwFODq...Gk/s1600/bc4592c4d40d0136cc88a57eba0acee5.jpg

Here is the article that pic is from.
http://pcmensstyle.blogspot.com/2013/05/going-sockless-in-summer.html?m=1

-Mike

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer them sockless

MKS

King

Cigar

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any pics of a navy chromexcel PTB or Dover paired with an outfit (or any navy CXL shoe)? I saw one that I may pick up.

Last edited:

Resistant

Reaction score

Chocolate Suede difficult to get the color right with the iPhone

Le Meas - with respect
Blackboard Knowledge for posting such a fine recommendation

Kwaker

Reaction score

Fantastic.
Deets on pants? And do you hike them up for your pics or are they hemmed no break?

MrDV tapers his pants for a 15" opening and has them hemmed with no break ... that combination does wonders for displaying his vast collection of footwear.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wjz3tx.jpg

whiskey wt
argyles otc
mbit6g.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads