• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomore

Reaction score
Recently acquired these for a very good deal and figured I would poke in this fountain of knowledge for a few scraps of information on this shoe. I am not familiar with shoe terminology but I am learning. After handling such fine craftsmanship I am eager to buy a pair that will actually fit me correctly. After plugging in the numbers online I understand that they are shell cordovan but I do not know the "last" or what the difference between the lasts mean. Thanks in advance! I am not sure what I am going to do with these, maybe throw them up on ebay to help fund my new pair.

I apologize in advance for the crappy phone pictures.

Olifter

Reaction score

Recently acquired these for a very good deal and figured I would poke in this fountain of knowledge for a few scraps of information on this shoe. I am not familiar with shoe terminology but I am learning. After handling such fine craftsmanship I am eager to buy a pair that will actually fit me correctly. After plugging in the numbers online I understand that they are shell cordovan but I do not know the "last" or what the difference between the lasts mean. Thanks in advance! I am not sure what I am going to do with these, maybe throw them up on ebay to help fund my new pair. I apologize in advance for the crappy phone pictures.
I believe those are made on the Tremont last. I had a pair but ended up selling them as they were a 1/2 size too big.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My new Whiskey LWB arrived and joined their fast growing family

I'm trying to hold off ordering whiskey longwings from Alden SF as I already have the whiskey balmoral wingtips and natural CXL longwings... But these photos are making me reconsider

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nicely done my friend. Good looking stuff.

Nice whiskey. Great collection.

I'm trying to hold off ordering whiskey longwings from Alden SF as I already have the whiskey balmoral wingtips and natural CXL longwings... But these photos are making me reconsider

thank you gentlemen, my wallet is a bit thinner after 2 pair of shell purchases in one month but I'm extremely happy that went for it: :satisfied: One more pair in suede and I should slow down. My work environment is very casual so my fresh collection will reflect this.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Was about to make the call to pick up some #8 NST boots from Leffot but my girlfriend just got accepted to a 2 year position in Flint; would have been irresponsible of me to walk home with new boots when we might have to move from NYC to the Ann Arbor/East Lansing/Detroit area (from what I hear Flint might not be the best place).

MP: Assuming you're in Michigan, good to know my Aldens will get some good use there!

Pick Flint as your new home and then tell the GF that since you have to live in Flint, you need something nice to make up for it... like some more Aldens! :slayer:

Flint does have one good thing going for it - the airport. It's tiny but has a surprising number of convenient direct flights from it and if you live north of Detroit (Oakland, Macomb, Livingston, or St. Clair Counties), it's a much easier airport to use than Metro. The parking is so much easier too. Whenever we fly anywhere, we always check flights from Flint first. There are a couple nice areas to live just south of Flint in Grand Blanc, but it's still a pretty quiet, sleepy area. Especially if you are coming from NYC.

I have to get a plug in for Oakland County and say that that's the best place to live. Anywhere south of the city of Pontiac and North of Detroit along the Woodward Corridor to be more precise. ;) Plus, the commute to Flint isn't too bad (40 minutes up I-75 to downtown).

If when my wife and I got married a few years ago we hadn't been thinking about having kids so soon, we would have actually moved into the city of Detroit. If you don't mind paying high property taxes and car insurance rates, and can handle dealing with inept government, there are some awesome places to live, especially around Midtown and Corktown. Or if you are industrious and want a home with some real character there are great, affordable options in places like Boston-Edison, Sherwood Forest, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, and the University District).

And as a former Wolverine, I would be remiss to not mention Ann Arbor. It's got a great little downtown and there is always stuff going on. Personally though, because of the demand from students and faculty , the best housing in the walkable areas is grossly over priced IMO - I'd rather stick to somewhere like Rochester, Birmingham, Ferndale, or Royal Oak.

Ok, that's enough log-rolling from me on the Detroit area. Feel free to message me if you have any questions on the area. I am a geographic idiot savant.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Alden discussion:

I wanted to give a shout out to Alden of NYC. I had contacted them a while back about the availability of a specific shoe. It was out of stock in my size at the time (back in November or December) but they promised to notify me when it was available. Yesterday I got an email letting me know it had come in and today the shoes are on route to me. I've had numerous other retailers in the past promise to notify me about something coming in and then they never follow through (and I end up seeing the item, in my requested size, listed as available on their site). It may be a small courtesy, but it is really appreciated.

Thanks again Alden NYC. :slayer:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pick Flint as your new home and then tell the GF that since you have to live in Flint, you need something nice to make up for it... like some more Aldens! :slayer:

Flint does have one good thing going for it - the airport. It's tiny but has a surprising number of convenient direct flights from it and if you live north of Detroit (Oakland, Macomb, Livingston, or St. Clair Counties), it's a much easier airport to use than Metro. The parking is so much easier too. Whenever we fly anywhere, we always check flights from Flint first. There are a couple nice areas to live just south of Flint in Grand Blanc, but it's still a pretty quiet, sleepy area. Especially if you are coming from NYC.

I have to get a plug in for Oakland County and say that that's the best place to live. Anywhere south of the city of Pontiac and North of Detroit along the Woodward Corridor to be more precise. ;) Plus, the commute to Flint isn't too bad (40 minutes up I-75 to downtown).

If when my wife and I got married a few years ago we hadn't been thinking about having kids so soon, we would have actually moved into the city of Detroit. If you don't mind paying high property taxes and car insurance rates, and can handle dealing with inept government, there are some awesome places to live, especially around Midtown and Corktown. Or if you are industrious and want a home with some real character there are great, affordable options in places like Boston-Edison, Sherwood Forest, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, and the University District).

And as a former Wolverine, I would be remiss to not mention Ann Arbor. It's got a great little downtown and there is always stuff going on. Personally though, because of the demand from students and faculty , the best housing in the walkable areas is grossly over priced IMO - I'd rather stick to somewhere like Rochester, Birmingham, Ferndale, or Royal Oak.

Ok, that's enough log-rolling from me on the Detroit area. Feel free to message me if you have any questions on the area. I am a geographic idiot savant.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Alden discussion:

I wanted to give a shout out to Alden of NYC. I had contacted them a while back about the availability of a specific shoe. It was out of stock in my size at the time (back in November or December) but they promised to notify me when it was available. Yesterday I got an email letting me know it had come in and today the shoes are on route to me. I've had numerous other retailers in the past promise to notify me about something coming in and then they never follow through (and I end up seeing the item, in my requested size, listed as available on their site). It may be a small courtesy, but it is really appreciated.

Thanks again Alden NYC. :slayer:

I know Alden NYC has its detractors, but I've always had great service from them... They always call me right away when they get a shipment, they will put shoes aside for me for a week, etc.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently acquired these for a very good deal and figured I would poke in this fountain of knowledge for a few scraps of information on this shoe. I am not familiar with shoe terminology but I am learning. After handling such fine craftsmanship I am eager to buy a pair that will actually fit me correctly. After plugging in the numbers online I understand that they are shell cordovan but I do not know the "last" or what the difference between the lasts mean. Thanks in advance! I am not sure what I am going to do with these, maybe throw them up on ebay to help fund my new pair. I apologize in advance for the crappy phone pictures.
This is the shoe. It is on the Tremont last. Many believe it runs 1/2 size larger than one's regular size. http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...w-9741_ald_m_wing_tip_bal_shell_cordovan.html

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know Alden NYC has its detractors, but I've always had great service from them... They always call me right away when they get a shipment, they will put shoes aside for me for a week, etc.

+1 I have dealt with them on a couple of occasions, both of which were very positive.

sungmineyo

Reaction score

2doubleu

Reaction score

^ i disagree. i thought it freshened up a classic without altering the character. just looks like another really nice shoe, now

Agree. The brass eyelets are what attracted me to the shoe. To each his own eyelets, as the saying goes.

+2

I really like the contrast the brass eyelets provide.... nonetheless a great looking shoe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads