• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Explorer

Reaction score
Mothball,
I own three pairs of Alden Indy Tobacco Chamois. One pair is one year old and the two other pairs are about three months old. When I originally bought the first pair, it was recommended to me to use Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil and apply it to the boots with a horse hair brush whenever the boots get dry. Well, I did not buy the Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil then, thinking that it may be a while before I needed the chamois oil. When I try to buy the Allen Edmonds Chamois Oil about three months ago, I was told that Allen Edmonds has discontinued the product. My one year old boots are still in an amazing great shape. The only care I have been doing is brushing the boots with a horse hair brush every other day or as needed. I have been also recommended to use Obenauf's Leather Oil when the boots get dry (I have not tried that yet). I have been using my boots in Africa (my home is in Arizona but I am currently working in Africa) and although the weather here in Africa is hot and humid and lots of rain, the boots are still clean, the leather is still supple, and looking great. These are, in my humble opinion, one of the best and most functional Alden Indy boots ever created and produced.

I found that Russell's Mocassins bootmaker sells chamois oil in a bottle for the care of their chamois leather boots. I ordered one bottle and once I receive it I will test the chamois oil on a small section of my boots to see how it works. Other than the above, I have been also asking other owners of the Alden Indy Tobacco Chamois boots how they care for their boots. So far, brushing them with a horse hair brush has worked magnificently.

I hope the above helps. If anyone knows a better way to care for the chamois leather boots, please let us know.

Thank you -

George

Chaos_Cow

Reaction score

ugh. would buy right now despite the price even if they weren't all eyelets. speed hooks, please.

I used to feel the same way but honestly speed hooks are the only thing that seems to break on shell shoes. And I suck at them so I bought...

Plus on the price lighter shell's only getting harder and harder to find. Maybe this is a shell-obsessive era but it just makes so much sense to own it in an increasingly upscale casual world. The price for cigar/whiskey/ravello/number 4 is still far outstripped by demand.

REguy

Reaction score

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love that Cigar Indy, particularly with the commando sole. Don't know how I'd feel about the all eyelets. Hopefully someone will buy all four pairs in my size.

Was flipping through Alden of Carmel's offerings and noted this, which is unusual:

It's Trubalance last on what looks like double waterloc leather soles to me. Fortunately, not in my size.

I will admit to repeatedly visiting the listing for the AF79 in the Leydon last. My guess is that 11D would be spot on for me in that, and it is a nice variation on the WT boot makeup. Must resist.

Costa

Reaction score
Call the vendor that sold you the boots.

Alternatively, you can get laces from a number of outlets, online, at the cobbler shop, etc. I buy Benjos for the most part.
Ty Phi! Bought them new from the Buy and Sell here, so that option is out. Was hoping to get exact replacements. THanks again!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you call the Alden factory and ask very nicely, they may just send you a pair. The factory staff has been very nice to me so far . . .

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds website offers a variety of laces too, some of which may should be appropriate for an Alden dress boot. I bought a pair from them to replace those on some LWBs. Found them to be too short. I think Allen Edmonds laces are literally a dollar or two and they ship them to you for free I recall. Now that's service.

Explorer

Reaction score
You can also get Alden boot laces from The Shoe Mart. I recently got three pairs of laces from them and they were not expensive. About a year ago I emailed the Alden factory asking for laces and they mailed me three pairs at no cost.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DAMN $742 for a pair of shoes. i think i just kicked the alden shell habit. :D

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to feel the same way but honestly speed hooks are the only thing that seems to break on shell shoes. And I suck at them so I bought...
Plus on the price lighter shell's only getting harder and harder to find. Maybe this is a shell-obsessive era but it just makes so much sense to own it in an increasingly upscale casual world. The price for cigar/whiskey/ravello/number 4 is still far outstripped by demand.

I have boots -some with all eyelets and some with speed hooks. In a perfect world they would all have all eyelets and I may very well have BNelson replace the speed hooks at a later date with all eyelets.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you call the Alden factory and ask very nicely, they may just send you a pair. The factory staff has been very nice to me so far . . .
I feel that you especially deserve to be treated nicely by them.

I notice that you aren't one to boast about such things, but would you be willing to share how many pairs of Alden's you own?

I remember that you were on quite a tear for a while.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, well, every time I called LS to inquire about a shoe, they happened to have one in my size. It was quite remarkable really. So a good chuck of my Alden collection is courtesy of LS. I'll have to check my closet, but I probably have 10 pairs er no make it 14 pair if you count the black shell cap toes I have on order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads