• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Too hard to say. Taps could slow or accelerate wear on the rest of the sole, depending on gait, etc.

circleslife

Reaction score

Maiden voyage on my Chromexcel LWB Commando Sole from TSM. I am loving the commando sole.Extremely comfortable. Bonus brass eyelets. Anyone know who they were made for?

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Maiden voyage on my Chromexcel LWB Commando Sole from TSM. I am loving the commando sole.Extremely comfortable. Bonus brass eyelets. Anyone know who they were made for?
Brass eyelets seem to be a Frans Boone thing. I am just speculating, though.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Revisiting yesterday's discussion on the differing shades of Ravello...
Check out my Ravello PTBs below. They are clearly different shades, and these were first quality. Used to bother me a bit, but now I just wear socks that are slightly different shades. ;)

No one will notice the differing shades but you. Even if they do, just tell them their eyes must be bad!

Sorry, the pix are kind of dark today

aldenwear

Reaction score
Gentlemen, Quick question, can steel tap minimize this kind of wear? this the spot where most of shoes start to wear out.
Sorry, friend. But these are too far gone. You just have to eat them now. Slow cook on 325 F for a few hours. It is calf and horse, after all.

If, in fact, your question is serious, I apologize for making light of the inquiry. If this is a serious question, then the answer is that you need a resole. Taps only on the toe, not on the sole of the shoe.

cincikid

Reaction score
Do I risk any redundancy getting an Alden chukka in addition to my Alden suede Indy? I realize that the chukka being unlined is going to be a better choice for the summer, but I wonder if--other than that--they would serve the similar purpose in most situations?

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I risk any redundancy getting an Alden chukka in addition to my Alden suede Indy? I realize that the chukka being unlined is going to be a better choice for the summer, but I wonder if--other than that--they would serve the similar purpose in most situations?

Not redundant, but if it were me, I would get snuff on the chukka.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I think Chukka and Indy are two different animal.

Deepak Atreya

Reaction score

Sorry, friend.  But these are too far gone.  You just have to eat them now.  Slow cook on 325 F for a few hours.  It is calf and  horse, after all.  

If, in fact, your question is serious, I apologize for making light of the inquiry.  If this is a serious question, then the answer is that you need a resole. Taps only on the toe, not on the sole of the shoe.  

Lol... Good one ! I will take my Aldens medium rare please :p

On a serious note is this normal wear ? I have had these for a year and they do get heavy rotation , 3 times a week.

I might take it to B. Nelson. It has started developing some patina and would hate it to be re-dyed by Alden. Also thinking if getting a rubber sole guard installed . Does anyone have any experience with rubber sole guards ?

Last edited:

Dillardiv

Reaction score

Gentlemen, Quick question, can steel tap minimize this kind of wear? this the spot where most of shoes start to wear out.
Resole is probably the only fix EDIT: If the questions is if taps would help that for future shoes, I think still the answer is no. They will help toe wear but I've found that that type of wear comes from shuffling your feet with the weight on the balls of your feet. I'm in a band and usually dance like that on stage and the boots I usually wear get a lot more worn down on that spot as a result.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Lol... Good one ! I will take my Aldens medium rare please :p

On a serious note is this normal wear ? I have had these for a year and they do get heavy rotation , 3 times a week.

I might take it to B. Nelson. It has started developing some patina and would hate it to be re-dyed by Alden. Also thinking if getting a rubber sole guard installed . Does anyone have any experience with rubber sole guards ?

I don't have personal experience with rubber soles, but they should prolong the life of your leather soles as you will just replace the rubber over-sole as they wear out.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do I risk any redundancy getting an Alden chukka in addition to my Alden suede Indy? I realize that the chukka being unlined is going to be a better choice for the summer, but I wonder if--other than that--they would serve the similar purpose in most situations? [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
What is this redundadency of which he speaks??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads