• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks!  Guess about the same... I feel like they're 200 or so overpriced for what they are - but what do they care, they can't keep them on the shelves!

You might feel differently once you have a pair and see the construction and feel the fit. They are a great boot

tigerpac

Reaction score
I've tried them on and my best friend has a pair, they're amazing boots no doubt, I just feel like they're priced higher than similar quality boots.

thams

Reaction score
Gunboats for a difficult workday.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To paraphrase Magritte: "Ceci n'est pas un Indy Boot"
Frans Boone delivered well. Purchased Friday, delivered at 10am today. No customs charges. No signs of try on. Free shoe trees (although for the FB markup compared to stateside purchases, they are arguably the most valuable shoe trees I've ever purchased). They even reached out to me with a special e-mail, recalling that I had inquired about buying the boots with 2 credit cards back in the vanilla visa gift card days. Special thanks to BeSpiffington, who pointed out back in April of last year that these boots were sitting in the Frans Boone inventory for a long while. Special thanks to mdubs for buying the last pair before the restock and rekindling my interest in the shoes...
Absolutely gorgeous. According to UPS, mine are "out for delivery" right now. Hopefully I also do not get hit with the customs or UPS brokerage charges. I've ordered from Frans Boone twice before and always looked at the brokerage charges as an unfortunate cost of doing business with them in order to get some of their unique makeups. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be pleasantly surprised this time around. FWIW, I tried to request that they ship via DHL or Post Netherlands, both of which should theoretically avoid the hassles of UPS but they refused.

docalden2013

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous. According to UPS, mine are "out for delivery" right now. Hopefully I also do not get hit with the customs or UPS brokerage charges. I've ordered from Frans Boone twice before and always looked at the brokerage charges as an unfortunate cost of doing business with them in order to get some of their unique makeups. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be pleasantly surprised this time around.

FWIW, I tried to request that they ship via DHL or Post Netherlands, both of which should theoretically avoid the hassles of UPS but they refused.
I'm glad for you, MP. I hope you get a perfectly unworn, evenly-dyed, properly finished pair and no surcharges. Enjoy breaking them in!

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous. According to UPS, mine are "out for delivery" right now. Hopefully I also do not get hit with the customs or UPS brokerage charges. I've ordered from Frans Boone twice before and always looked at the brokerage charges as an unfortunate cost of doing business with them in order to get some of their unique makeups. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be pleasantly surprised this time around.

FWIW, I tried to request that they ship via DHL or Post Netherlands, both of which should theoretically avoid the hassles of UPS but they refused.
Good luck my man, fingers crossed for you and I. From the internet research I have done over time, my understanding is that DHL is the one most likely to inflict pain followed by Fedex, and from my own experience the national postal services have been kind to my pocket. This will be my first UPS experience but I believe Frans has the proper procedure for a repatriation of US made goods down to a science now. But I concur with your train of thought "unfortunate cost of doing business with them in order to get some of their unique makeups"

docalden2013

Reaction score
Good luck my man, fingers crossed for you and I. From the internet research I have done over time, my understanding is that DHL is the one most likely to inflict pain followed by Fedex, and from my own experience the national postal services have been kind to my pocket. This will be my first UPS experience but I believe Frans has the proper procedure for a repatriation of US made goods down to a science now. But I concur with your train of thought "unfortunate cost of doing business with them in order to get some of their unique makeups"
Is the free shoe tree thing any consolation, guys?
peepwall[1].gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Good luck my man, fingers crossed for you and I.  From the internet research I have done over time, my understanding is that DHL is the one most likely to inflict pain followed by Fedex, and from my own experience the national postal services have been kind to my pocket.  This will be my first UPS experience but I believe Frans has the proper procedure for a repatriation of US made goods down to a science now.  But I concur with your train of thought "unfortunate cost of doing business with them in order to get some of their unique makeups"

In my experience, UPS is the worst, followed closely by Fedex and then DHL.
UPS collects at delivery. Fedex and DHL will bill you.
Fedex and UPS brokerage costs are about the same at around $25-30 depending upon value of shipment.
DHL brokerage is around $12.
I've had way more shipments come through untaxed with DHL than the others.

ComfortablyDumb

Reaction score
Can any Canadians chime in on ordering from Leffot? What are the chances of getting hit with duties (shipped USPS)? I'm assuming I'll get hit with them, have a pair of the PT Chromexcel boots in the mail right now.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can any Canadians chime in on ordering from Leffot? What are the chances of getting hit with duties (shipped USPS)? I'm assuming I'll get hit with them, have a pair of the PT Chromexcel boots in the mail right now.

I got about $90 CAN in taxes/duties when ordered from Leffot. Good luck.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not a Canadian, but I'll put this out there for Canadians: If you want stuff that you cannot get shipped to Canada (or do not want to deal with customs or duties), live in the somewhere in Southwestern Ontario, and don't mind making a drive to the Detroit area, feel free to have your stuff shipped to me. I will gladly accept and hold your deliveries until such time you can come pick them up. All I ask for in return is copious amounts of beer brought across the border. No Labatt's or Molson though - I prefer microbrews I cannot get here. :nodding:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not a Canadian, but I'll put this out there for Canadians: If you want stuff that you cannot get shipped to Canada (or do not want to deal with customs or duties), live in the somewhere in Southwestern Ontario, and don't mind making a drive to the Detroit area, feel free to have your stuff shipped to me. I will gladly accept and hold your deliveries until such time you can come pick them up. All I ask for in return is copious amounts of beer brought across the border. No Labatt's or Molson though - I prefer microbrews I cannot get here. :nodding:

I'm in Toronto and would take you up on this great offer!

Thanks! Count on great beer.

ComfortablyDumb

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, yeah I figured I'd get hit, $90 is around what I expect.

@Michigan Planner I might have taken you up on that offer if you were in Buffalo, rather than Detroit
happy.gif

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I have been hit with customs using DHL and FedEx. It has never happened when the postal service has been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members