• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is a crazy question.. How do you guys stop buying Alden's. While I love Alden's I also love the deal. I just bought 4 pairs last month.

I make a list every 4 or 5 months of things (clothing and footwear wise) I really want and that helps me cut out the impulse buys. As far as shoes go, I also now have a one-in/one-out policy so for every pair I buy I need to either sell a pair or donate a pair. And right now I actually have about 10 pair of shoes/boots sitting in my closet that I should probably put up for sale. I'm just too lazy to take the photos usually.

I started making the list a couple of years ago and that has done wonders for stopping me from making so many impulse buys.

coinopcollector

Reaction score

Are there any Color 8 cordovan NST/Tanker boots available out there? Missed out on the Leffot ones and now trying to hunt down a pair.

Try Citi Shoes in NYC. Got mine from them at the end of November. They may still have some sizes in stock. They are very friendly and good to deal with.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on these LWBs from Leffot that use tobacco chamois leather. Not sure exactly what that is but I'm guessing it's similar to Kudu since the description says it's water resistant. I don't have a pair of Alden LWB's yet so do you think if I was to buy 1 pair, these would be pretty versatile or is there a different makeup I should hold out for? My dress runs more semi-casual since I work from home mainly and I don't think I want another pair of shell at the moment. Also, with the Barrie last, I'm worried that these might not look as sleek as some other choices out there. I currently have the AE Aberdeens as my go to LWBs so would want something similar so I can replace them.. I think the Barrie and Trubalance last is great for boots and chukkas but haven't paid attention to it much in person on other types of shoes. I liked the Dover but did not like the PTBs because they seemed too clunky to me. Can someone who owns a PTB and LWB comment on that?
I have LWB in kudu and ranger moccasins in tobacco chamois. I like the look and feel of the tobacco chamois better but I think the kudu is a better foul weather material. Granted, I haven't had the tobacco chamois long, but the kudu is indestructible. I also own a PTB and had a Dover. I prefer the shape of the PTB though and ended up selling the Dover as I rarely wore them over the course of the 4 months I had them. To me, the toe box of the Dover looked a bit lower profile (if that makes any sense) and I just didn't like it as much.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
These need a good cleaning.

mesu3y5u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on these LWBs from Leffot that use tobacco chamois leather. Not sure exactly what that is but I'm guessing it's similar to Kudu since the description says it's water resistant. I don't have a pair of Alden LWB's yet so do you think if I was to buy 1 pair, these would be pretty versatile or is there a different makeup I should hold out for? My dress runs more semi-casual since I work from home mainly and I don't think I want another pair of shell at the moment. Also, with the Barrie last, I'm worried that these might not look as sleek as some other choices out there. I currently have the AE Aberdeens as my go to LWBs so would want something similar so I can replace them.. I think the Barrie and Trubalance last is great for boots and chukkas but haven't paid attention to it much in person on other types of shoes. I liked the Dover but did not like the PTBs because they seemed too clunky to me. Can someone who owns a PTB and LWB comment on that?
The tobacco chamios longwings are great if you intend to wear them in wet weather, grass, etc. It's a durable, water resistant leather. Barrie longwings are a lot of great things, but they aren't sleek. I own PTB, LWB, and dovers, and the dovers are the only ones that would qualify as sleek. That said, if your outfits are mainly casual, you may not need sleekness as much as you think (it's all your preference though).

3 Prague Winters

Reaction score

Can you tell me how to post my classified at the bottom of my post as you did? Thanks!

Go to 'my profile' in the drop down menu under your username in the top right hand corner. Scroll down to the bottom of page and under 'your signature', add your classifieds.

Vicious49

Reaction score
I have LWB in kudu and ranger moccasins in tobacco chamois. I like the look and feel of the tobacco chamois better but I think the kudu is a better foul weather material. Granted, I haven't had the tobacco chamois long, but the kudu is indestructible.

I also own a PTB and had a Dover. I prefer the shape of the PTB though and ended up selling the Dover as I rarely wore them over the course of the 4 months I had them. To me, the toe box of the Dover looked a bit lower profile (if that makes any sense) and I just didn't like it as much.

Thanks for the insight on the differences between the 2 materials. I don't need the LWBs to be as sleek as the Dovers (my AE Aberdeens certainly are not) but I was hoping that they aren't as bulbous at the toe box as I thought the shell PTBs were.

The tobacco chamios longwings are great if you intend to wear them in wet weather, grass, etc. It's a durable, water resistant leather. Barrie longwings are a lot of great things, but they aren't sleek. I own PTB, LWB, and dovers, and the dovers are the only ones that would qualify as sleek. That said, if your outfits are mainly casual, you may not need sleekness as much as you think (it's all your preference though).

You're right that I don't need that much sleekness but just as long as it's not something that looks bulky or bulbous when you glance at them in person.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. I think I agree Vicious49, that sounds like the wrong last for me. I need a narrow heel and wider toe box.
I would try them out in a store if possible. The tassels are a difficult fit for me. However, the 2145 fit quite nicely and they are on the same last.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

Quote:
Thanks for the response, I am pretty lucky to have O'Connors here in Calgary as I was able to try on the Barrie last PTB and Longwing and find my correct size. Unfortunately they had only a size 8 in the 975.

I just emailed Knapps Shoes and they said: "Alden does not allow us to carry the cordovan products. Not sure why because they have poor representation in Canada. They only allow us to carry the orthopedic styles like the Indy boot."

Looks like my next hope is a % off one item Haberdash sale, I think they offer free shipping to Canada.
Contact Lost and Found here in Toronto. I believe they have #8 LWB's and PTB's as well as other non shell Alden shoes. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contact Lost and Found here in Toronto.
I believe they have #8 LWB's and PTB's as well as other non shell Alden shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, you may have missed my original post. They were the first I contacted and they no longer have my size, very quick response from them and they are looking if they can source it for me though. I still have hope lol

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on these LWBs from Leffot that use tobacco chamois leather. Not sure exactly what that is but I'm guessing it's similar to Kudu since the description says it's water resistant.

I don't have a pair of Alden LWB's yet so do you think if I was to buy 1 pair, these would be pretty versatile or is there a different makeup I should hold out for? My dress runs more semi-casual since I work from home mainly and I don't think I want another pair of shell at the moment.

Also, with the Barrie last, I'm worried that these might not look as sleek as some other choices out there. I currently have the AE Aberdeens as my go to LWBs so would want something similar so I can replace them.. I think the Barrie and Trubalance last is great for boots and chukkas but haven't paid attention to it much in person on other types of shoes. I liked the Dover but did not like the PTBs because they seemed too clunky to me. Can someone who owns a PTB and LWB comment on that?

If the AE Aberdeen has become your go-to casual LWB for wet or durable wear, I wouldn't recommend the kudu or chamois LWBs unless you were looking to replace the Aberdeen. All three seem to be similar as far as function.

I'm a huge longwing fan and have dabbled with different models. I have come to the conclusion that the Alden's barrie-lasted LWB is really all that I want. I have it in just about every available shell flavor but whiskey, as well as suede and calf versions. While the last is reputed to be "chunky," it really doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. I wear them casually and dress them up with jackets and ties from time to time, even with less formal suits.

AE's MacNiel is less chunky but may be the most uncomfortable, or worst case scenario, the most difficult last to size for me (I still haven't found a comfortable size). AE experimented a couple of years ago and came up with the Larchmont, a long, narrow, semi-squared toe (333 last) LWB. That my friend, looks extremely awkward.

I guess my point is that the LWB should be somewhat rounded and not-so-sleek. That's just the nature of that model, imo. As Alcibiades mentioned, if you wear casual attire frequently, I don't think you need to worry about the Barrie-lasted LWB not being sleek enough. If you disagree, the larchmont or MacNiel maybe for you.

Otherwise, this is my recommendation...

^^ 975

or 9751

Good luck...

soundersfc2

Reaction score
I have the chance to get the Alden Roy boot or the Alden Kudu Ultimate Indy. I'd like any opinions from anyone who has had either one of these. Thanks

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have a pair of Alden LWB's yet so do you think if I was to buy 1 pair, these would be pretty versatile or is there a different makeup I should hold out for? My dress runs more semi-casual since I work from home mainly and I don't think I want another pair of shell at the moment.

Also, with the Barrie last, I'm worried that these might not look as sleek as some other choices out there. Can someone who owns a PTB and LWB comment on that?
I own both the Alden PTB's and LWB's in shell cordovan and I can assure you that any apprehension that you might have concerning their appearance will be dispelled by their overall comfort and durability. A good super comfy leather choice for a LWB or PTB if you don't want shell would be any color CXL. For what it's worth I find that for some reason women love the look of Alden bluchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads