• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iDoc

Reaction score
Are there any Color 8 cordovan NST/Tanker boots available out there? Missed out on the Leffot ones and now trying to hunt down a pair.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Union Hill make-up. That said, with a small family of 4 pairs that includes a natural CXL indy (commando too) and a restricted budget, it seems superfluous.
musicboohoo[1].gif

You'd be okay. I think I read last night that if you get up to 345 pairs, you get government assistance and **** (or something like that).

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those suede indys look good. but wasn't there any issue with them recently? I thought they were sent back to Alden for quality issues.

justuhgeek

Reaction score

Are there any Color 8 cordovan NST/Tanker boots available out there? Missed out on the Leffot ones and now trying to hunt down a pair.

I believe Leffot is due for another preorder soon as they churn these out pretty often. Waiting on a pair myself. Don't take my word for it.

Context Clothing also makes this boot without the antique edge. There was a preorder up a while back. Don't know if there's still a spot, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

Alpina

Reaction score
I can't say whether a 9D would work out for you, but something tells me you'd be fine as long as you're not swimming in your 9C.

I'm not sure if DC normally carries the cigar Indy (maybe at one point) but they are known for doing runs of cigar cap toe boots on grant in commando. I know Kathy is good about entertaining requests, but I think her standing orders are already struggling to be filled.
ah yes--Cigar cap toe grant--that's right. A close cousin would be the color 8 boot on plaza and commando from j Gilbert. I have never seen that last in the flesh, but it looks great in photos. And it seems many forum members like the plaza for boots. Then the question is then plain toe or cap toe?

thams

Reaction score

ah yes--Cigar cap toe grant--that's right.  A close cousin would be the color 8 boot on plaza and commando from j Gilbert.  I have never seen that last in the flesh, but it looks great in photos.  And it seems many forum members like the plaza for boots.  Then the question is then plain toe or cap toe?

DC also has #8 cap toe boot in grant on commando as well. I think the plain toe shows off patina better, but I like the looks of the cap toe more. I think it all comes down to preference.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DC also has #8 cap toe boot in grant on commando as well. I think the plain toe shows off patina better, but I like the looks of the cap toe more. I think it all comes down to preference.

Not a great iPhone pic but below I'm wearing the #8 captoe boot on commando from Alden DC today. Paired up with my Seamaster Chrono with #8 strap.

Regarding recent talk about increased pricing, this boot plus my cigar Indy on commando from J.Gilbert are the only two Aldens I currently have where I paid full retail.

Of the rest of my Aldens, I purchased my Cigar captoe boot on commando, Ravello LWB from Leffot and Snuff suede LWB from Leffot used off of B&S, my #8 LWB new off of eBay, snuff suede dover PTB from Shoemart seconds and tobacco chamois ranger moc on crepe on sale at Need Supply.

Vicious49

Reaction score
That same #8 CT grant boot is the only Alden I've paid full price for thus far as well. If I keep these Ravello chukkas from SF will make 2 that I've paid full price for.

Speaking of which, the snowstorm has caused my chukka delivery to be delayed until tomorrow.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alden fransBoone just restocked #8 "indy boots in plaza last" grab the chance if you are interested! 

Cheers!

Jerk. :paranoia:

I was just thinking this morning that I don't wear my Indy's much because I just don't like the shape of the TrueBalance but would love if FransBoone would put out another run of them on the Plaza last. Grrrr... my wallet is not going to like this. Maybe for my sake my size will be gone by the time I can get home and verify what I wear on the Plaza...

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Whats the consensus on sizing for loafers? I'm a TTS 12D. Would I want a 12D for something like the 563 (aberdeen last) or would I want to size down half a size to 11.5D, to accommodate the lack of lacing ability. Never bought loafers before.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the consensus on sizing for loafers? I'm a TTS 12D. Would I want a 12D for something like the 563 (aberdeen last) or would I want to size down half a size to 11.5D, to accommodate the lack of lacing ability. Never bought loafers before.
I went down 1/2 size for the BB Tassel - which should be Aberdeen - it worked for me but may not for others depending on how cramped your toes get

On the Van last LHS all I can say is try and try until you find one that works - I think consensus is down a half but it seems to be very tricky for certain people, myself included

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That same #8 CT grant boot is the only Alden I've paid full price for thus far as well. If I keep these Ravello chukkas from SF will make 2 that I've paid full price for.

Speaking of which, the snowstorm has caused my chukka delivery to be delayed until tomorrow.

That wouldn't have been a problem if you had already moved to Houston!
lol8[1].gif

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
I went down 1/2 size for the BB Tassel - which should be Aberdeen - it worked for me but may not for others depending on how cramped your toes get

On the Van last LHS all I can say is try and try until you find one that works - I think consensus is down a half but it seems to be very tricky for certain people, myself included
Thanks. Yes, it would be the aberdeen that i'm looking at. My foot is a touch on the wider side (right foot at least) and if I ever have problems with shoes not fitting, its usually on the outside of my room, right around the ball of my foot. I have a fairly narrow waist and heel of my foot. Could you further explain a touch on how it gets "tight in the toe box". Do you mean lower volume, or narrow width.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads