• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An 8.5 Church Hill Indy back in stock at Need Supply ($473 with febstyle10 ).

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the effects of late night, overzealous buffing :( now it's time to see what some horsehair, VSC, and microfiber can make do.. shame as this was the first real outdoor outing for these PTBs
Did you hit the shoe with the wooden part of the brush? When my dumb ass has done the very same thing I massage the wound on the horse heiney leather with a finger dipped in either Saphir Reno or that VSC stuff everybody thinks is the magic shoe lotion. Next its on to the dreaded "deer bone". Consult a YouTube video on how to best use the dreaded deer bone if your totally clueless, not you KWL, and always remember, "their shoes not Renbrandts". To prevent this from happening in the future it's best if one moderates his or her's alcohol intake while brushing. Leave the straight single-malt scotch and brushing to veterans like sazon.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just placed my order for the 9.5D Ravallo Chukka. Apparently, they do NOT have the antique edge. I was told while ordering that Alden will not use the antique edge going forward on any cordovan. As disheartening as that sounds, who really knows for sure? Either way, I'm sure these will be beautiful.

Perhaps the market is driving this decision?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think whiskey with a black edge trim would look quite odd

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the market is driving this decision?

I really only prefer the antique edge for cigar and whiskey shell, and maybe with some of this newer, darker ravello that looks more like cigar. However, judging from this thread, the antique edge has significantly grown in popularity, especially with color 8. Maybe we are not representative of the larger Alden-wearing population??

oh, and btw, I do not go sockless with either the color 8 LWB or PTB. Though I have done it with my tassel mocs in color 8.

n-domino

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know what the status is for the LS Color 8 Pitt Boot? Has it been confirmed for production? I believe the preorder was back in January '13, although I was able to get on it in October '13.

Also, is Alden willing to resole shoes that have had flush metal toe taps put on them?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I tried to envision with dark brown edge and I suppose it is doable but not preferable.

I really hope this is not their plan. I really love the depth and richness added by the antique edging. Plus, I really find it entertaining when I get asked if my shoes are made of wood. Anyone else been asked that before?

-Mike

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Lace-up cordovans are too hot to wear sockless. I do wear my cigar LHS sockless. I did it once with my ravello tassels,

2) If I had to choose between dark edge and antique edge, I would choose dark. That said, there is significant demand for antique edge cordovan . Leffot's most ordered models appear to be their antique longwings and tankers. I'll ask them about this. And unless I am not understanding what they mean by antique, the standard edge dressing for cigar has long been antique. It would be disappointing if this were actually true.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey, does anyone know what the status is for the LS Color 8 Pitt Boot? Has it been confirmed for production? I believe the preorder was back in January '13, although I was able to get on it in October '13. 

Also, is Alden willing to resole shoes that have had flush metal toe taps put on them?

I contacted LS about that order in December 2013. They said that the order had not been confirmed and that it could be another 18 months before the shoes arrived. At this point I'm writing the order off (I hope I am proven wrong).

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rank these non-cordovan boots

J Gilbert tan wingtip boot on commando sole (Barrie)
Alden Madison chromexcel punch captoe boot on commando sole (Barrie)
Indy 403 (flat waxed laces)
Context Roy

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rank these non-cordovan boots

J Gilbert tan wingtip boot on commando sole (Barrie)
Alden Madison chromexcel punch captoe boot on commando sole (Barrie)
Indy 403 (flat waxed laces)
Context Roy
CXL punch captoe
Indy 405 (J Crew Indy with tan stitching)
Roy
Tan wingtip

DennisM

Reaction score
Despite fear of future regret, I've decided to pass up the ravello medallion captoe shoe on plaza from DC. Here's hoping the gentleman next in line for 9D enjoys the shoe! As beautiful as the shoe looks to be, I just wasn't convinced I'd wear it enough. Palliating the fear of regret with my first Trickers boot purchase...

Doc, Thanks a bunch for passing those up ... at least, I'm thinking that's the case at this point. I had sworn off exercising my ccard, but oh, the temptation was too strong. Now if I can just figger out a way to keep my 8.5D feet from swimming around too much ...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads