• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGuy

Reaction score

Tassels for a Sunday morning at the office. I haven't gotten as much wear out of these as I would like. Trying to reinstate them into the rotation, but they seem to straddle the line between casual and dressy in an awkward sort of way. I think the natty cxl is casual, while the tassel is inherently dressy.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tassels for a Sunday morning at the office. I haven't gotten as much wear out of these as I would like. Trying to reinstate them into the rotation, but they seem to straddle the line between casual and dressy in an awkward sort of way. I think the natty cxl is casual, while the tassel is inherently dressy.
Now there is something you don't see everyday!. Thanks for sharing. I think you are wearing them in the appropriate context. That is the thing about tassel loafers. They can be somewhat dressy to somewhat casual, but neither extreme. The will move more towards the casual end of the spectrum as they acquire "character" with age. Love the safe in the background. (I can't blame you, I would keep those puppies locked up as well)

MrGuy

Reaction score
Ha! Perhaps I should, though that is not a shoe safe. There certainly are members here more deserving of a shoe safe. No shell yet... I've only bought Aldens on sales

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! Perhaps I should, though that is not a shoe safe. There certainly are members here more deserving of a shoe safe. No shell yet... I've only bought Aldens on sales

For $650+ for a pair of shells @ retail, I can't accuse you of being unreasonable. I'd have an easier time calling myself unreasonable for having as many pairs of such shoes as I do.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTP - can you tell me if your shell Dalton's are the same color as mine (2nd boot fro left, top shelf). I purchased the calf version a few months ago and while in Chicago a month ago I stopped in the AE store and after talking to the salesperson, they indicated that they had the shell version in one of their warehouses. I didn't even know such a thing exists. I purchased them with the expectation that the color would mirror the calf version. As you can see in the shot, they do not. I'm hesitant to send them back because it does seem to be a unique color. I'm just curious if your walnut shells are the same color as mine.

Thanks.
It's difficult to tell because of lighting. Here are pics of mine...

Mine doesn't seem as rich in color as yours, but the lighting may have an impact. I also haven't brushed or cleaned them up yet. With the summer heat and humidity still here in the South, I haven't touched or worn mine yet.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Out shopping with my wife today.
CXL PTBs

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not directly related to Alden, but I thought fellow members may be interested in these USA-made Repair Kit chests from H Gerstner & Sons. Their "12 Repair Kit" happens to be the perfect size for storing shoe care supplies, and they're having a 107th Birthday Sale right now. I think it's a great way to support another USA manufacturer, as well as organize all your Alden shoe care supplies:

Great find! Gerstner machinist tool chests are fantastic. I've owned a knock off machinist chest for 10+ years now that I use for storage in my office. It's not the handmade quality of a Gerstner but its made in the USA of oak. It's larger than the portable version you posted. I originally used it for my watch collection straps, tools, etc. They were originally designed for tool and die makers in machine shops. A bit of trivia for you. The small mirror found on the lid of machinist tool chests was used in the event that a machinist (tool & die maker) got a piece of metal or other foreign matter in their eye. Guess they've been around longer than safety glasses.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's difficult to tell because of lighting. Here are pics of mine... Mine doesn't seem as rich in color as yours, but the lighting may have an impact. I also haven't brushed or cleaned them up yet. With the summer heat and humidity still here in the South, I haven't touched or worn mine yet.
Definitely the same shoe. The 2nd shot seals it for me. I haven't worn mine either but I did apply some alden water protector and gave them a good brushing and buffing last night. Calling for a cold front with rain in Pgh tonight (after we spank St. Louis) and tomorrow. Might take em out for a spin. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics