• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear a 8C Barrie and 8D in the AE 5 last. I am a 8.5C in the Brannock. The 8D AE 5 is a tad shorter than the 8C Barrie. I do feel that my left pinky toe hits the the shoe since my left foot is the longer foot (I'm 8D Brannock in the right). But since the AE5 is longer than the rest of the AE last, I can wear it. The AE 1 last for example is too snug for me. I have to wear a true 8.5C in that last. I think you know that the AE 5 is long and narrow so it affords a bit of length. You will see that the Barrie is has a more generous toebox so no toe issue here. But the width of the 8C Barrie is definitely comparable to the 8D AE 5. Also, the heel of the Barrie may even be a bit more generous. The 8D Barrie I can't wear. It's not even possible to keep my foot steady. Hope this helps. Barrie is a tad longer but the AE5 is not far behind. Length are almost the same. But there is a big difference in toebox. Heel and throat of Barrie is BIG even comparing 8C with 8D AE5.
Good comments above. I wear 9D in Barrie and AE5. Outside of that similarity, there are very few similarities, IMO. The AE5 is a long and narrow last. AE5 is generally considered AE's dressiest last, or close to it. Alden's Barrie last is a wider last, and generally considered one of its more casual lasts.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good comments above.

I wear 9D in Barrie and AE5. Outside of that similarity, there are very few similarities, IMO.

The AE5 is a long and narrow last. AE5 is generally considered AE's dressiest last, or close to it. Alden's Barrie last is a wider last, and generally considered one of its more casual lasts.
thats the thing that annoys me, I was going to buy http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me.../pvc-ald-mxsbd-39701_ald_m_9_eyelet_boot.html

but its barrie, so I don't know if it is dressy enough for wearing with a suit (not a super formal suit), and almost all alden shoe stores sell 99% barrie

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks boot. Horween's CXL is second only to thier shell cordovan imo. I have 5 pairs of CXL shoes from different companies and have nothing bad to say about any of them. CXL is underated i think.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got the pair of #8 PTBs I won on eBay earlier in the week. I was all excited when I saw that they were delivered today, but when I opened the package and took the shoes out, they were the wrong size :(

The seller listed them as 12B, both in the listing title and the auction description, but the ones they sent me are size 12.5B. That would be awesome if these were a non-Barrie shoe, but unfortunately these are 1/2 size too big. I was surprised, because it was a very reputable seller with nearly 5000 feedback and a 99.7% positive rating. This is getting frustrating, as I think the last 4 or 5 pairs of shoes I bought in the past few months either ended up getting returned or resold on SF...

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

OG LS Chromexcel Chukka

edge trim needs some lovin :embar:

Those look good BC, wish I could get a pair from TSM...buggers.
Btw, you're hard on your heels too. Just had my snuff chukka heels replaced a few weeks ago. Now they're good as can be.
:slayer:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got the pair of #8 PTBs I won on eBay earlier in the week. I was all excited when I saw that they were delivered today, but when I opened the package and took the shoes out, they were the wrong size :(

The seller listed them as 12B, both in the listing title and the auction description, but the ones they sent me are size 12.5B. That would be awesome if these were a non-Barrie shoe, but unfortunately these are 1/2 size too big. I was surprised, because it was a very reputable seller with nearly 5000 feedback and a 99.7% positive rating. This is getting frustrating, as I think the last 4 or 5 pairs of shoes I bought in the past few months either ended up getting returned or resold on SF...

He didn't have a photo of the interior sizing/lettering/numbering on the auction?

I really hate the ebayers that try to "adjust" the size for uneducated people in the listing - can't tell you how many pairs of Barrie shoes I've found where the listing title says 11.5, only to find that they're actually a "tagged 11" later on. I need the dang tagged 11.5 people; if they don't fit me after that it's my fault.

Is the guy going to take them back given that the auction was clearly faulty?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He didn't have a photo of the interior sizing/lettering/numbering on the auction?

I really hate the ebayers that try to "adjust" the size for uneducated people in the listing - can't tell you how many pairs of Barrie shoes I've found where the listing title says 11.5, only to find that they're actually a "tagged 11" later on. I need the dang tagged 11.5 people; if they don't fit me after that it's my fault.

Yeah, that's very annoying - I almost bid on a 9E pair of whiskey shoes because the seller listed them as 9.5E

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of Alden Tan suede cap toes I picked up earlier this Summer from Ben Silvers. They make for a nice Summer suede shoe.

amftx

Reaction score
Brown CXL is filling my ravello gap nicely. My favorite of the summer.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope, there was one picture of the inside of the shoe, but you can't clearly see the size....maybe if I had a 20x zoom or something I could read it. But, I think the seller just screwed this up. I wrote him a message and he apologized about the mixup and offered me a refund. Still, I would have rather just had the size shoes that were listed in the auction because I snagged these for under $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads