• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the plunge on their cigar plain toe boot a while back. With international shipping, import fees, and the USD/EURO conversion it was was expensive....like embarrased to say how much expensive.......
biggrin.gif
but in the end I got what I wanted so who cares right
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
thats all that matters :)

I'm impulsive, but I'll prolly just wait until someone stateside offers whatever it is I'm looking for

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I took the plunge on their cigar plain toe boot a while back. With international shipping, import fees, and the USD/EURO conversion it was was expensive....like embarrased to say how much expensive.......:D  but in the end I got what I wanted so who cares right

Expensive yes, but very very unusual. If you want them, can afford them, and they have your size... :)

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This 4th day of the work week brings the need for the #4Captoe boot. I always seem to wear these with the same 2 suits. I need to get some variety in my life.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I took the plunge on their cigar plain toe boot a while back. With international shipping, import fees, and the USD/EURO conversion it was was expensive....like embarrased to say how much expensive.......:D  but in the end I got what I wanted so who cares right

I've braved the import fees and bought from Frans Boone a few times and have always been pleased with my purchases. I think that they consistently have the most interesting make-ups available of any of the retailers that have a good selection of Alden (Leffot, Unionmade, Leather Soul...). Sometimes, you've got to do what you've got to do.

shaunw

Reaction score
I've braved the import fees and bought from Frans Boone a few times and have always been pleased with my purchases. I think that they consistently have the most interesting make-ups available of any of the retailers that have a good selection of Alden (Leffot, Unionmade, Leather Soul...). Sometimes, you've got to do what you've got to do.
I agree, their makeups are very much my style.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I completely agree. I think Frans Boone has incredible makeups and would pay the additional fees if so warranted.

docalden2013

Reaction score

Not much, but just enough.

I know that doesn't tell you much.

When I was zeroing in on my LHS size I started with 9.5D, too much heel slip.
Next tried 9D.  Wasn't sure if I was there, seemed like it could work in the forefoot, but still slipped like flip-flops
9C - Still not tight in the forefoot, but the heelslip was what one would expect from a stiff new loafer.

If you can feasibly try the C, I would try it.  Seemed to work out for Doc Alden as well.  

True indeed. For me, going true to size minus a width was perfect. Just that little bit of heel slip Kathy at DC says will go away after break in. I've seen other advice people swear by. Depends on shape of heel relative to arch I think.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the plunge on their cigar plain toe boot a while back. With international shipping, import fees, and the USD/EURO conversion it was was expensive....like embarrased to say how much expensive.......
biggrin.gif
but in the end I got what I wanted so who cares right
Pics, if you please?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not much, but just enough.

I know that doesn't tell you much.

When I was zeroing in on my LHS size I started with 9.5D, too much heel slip.
Next tried 9D.  Wasn't sure if I was there, seemed like it could work in the forefoot, but still slipped like flip-flops
9C - Still not tight in the forefoot, but the heelslip was what one would expect from a stiff new loafer.

If you can feasibly try the C, I would try it.  Seemed to work out for Doc Alden as well.  

+1

TTS less half size less one width (for me, a 9.5D to 9C).

closerlook

Reaction score
Gotta quote these photos, grant last is amazing. Really should get a pair of the Alden DC captoes but just can't bring myself to spend $700 for Aldens anymore

who is selling these?

really cool

I've never really understood the idea behind the cordovan Indy (a casual work boot in shell cordovan??), but this grant lasted boot makes a great deal of sense to me. 
nod%5B1%5D.gif
  Awesome boot! :worship:

Another request to find out who sells this makeup?

thanks for the kind words gentlemen. these are from frans boone. there is something special about grant lasted boots.

as i suspected then, these are on the plaza, not the grant. still very nice.

edit: ALDEN X FRANSBOONE #8 CORDOVAN BOOT
€ 670.08
tax free (-21% vat) price (outside EU) € 553.78
THIS IS IT:

Plaza boots in color #8 horween cordovan, on a commando sole,
US SHIPPING

TAX OUTSIDE EU INFORMATION

Tags: plaza, shoes, alden, boots, #8, burgundy, horween, leather, commando sole,

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

unrelated,  but has anyone received shipping confirmation from jcrew after using the 20% coupon from the other night? mine is sitting in limbo on some #8 lwb.. just curious

My order status says RELEASED. Based on past experience that means a shipping confirmation will be sent very soon.

100 yrs

Reaction score
this morning, my fiance commented that i should get some new black boots because my black shell captoes looked a little beat up compared to my #8 plain toe boots. should i use this as an excuse to get a new pair or do i let her in on the fact that a horsehair brush, a little elbow grease, and some reno would do the trick?

shaunw

Reaction score
Pics, if you please?

They are definitely darker than my other cigar cordovan from Alden. These pics are pretty old they seem to be getting a little lighter with wear. True color is probably somewhere between the two pictures, not as dark as top pic but a little darker than second pic

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was recently away on an extended vacation but made a couple of orders while I was away. It was nice the other day when I got home and the mailman delivered my backlog of mail that was being held.

Getting home to a box from Unionmade or The Shoemart is usually a good thing, but getting a box from both...

Let's get the Filson shirt from Unionmade out of the way...

Reverse chamois Indy boots from Unionmade, natural CXL longwings and ravello chukkas from The Shoemart.

The chukka boots have been sort of a grail of mine for a while and TSM finally got some in stock in my size so I did not hesitate to pull the trigger. They are absolutely flawless, and even without running the pictures through Instagram like I did, they are are very heavy on the red end of the ravello color spectrum. The color is very similar to my whiskey Indy boots. The longwings were an impulse buy. I had been going back and forth on buying CXL LWBs for months and decided to finally take the plunge. I'm glad I did - I'm wearing them today with some green moleskin trousers and think they look great. I can see me getting a lot of use out of them.

I haven't had a chance to wear the reverse chamois Indy boots yet, other than to try on and sort of break in, but they are very comfortable. I have suede Indys that I think are much more comfy than the CXL ones I used to have or my whiskey shell or #8 Indys, and these reverse chamois ones are almost as comfortable as the suede. Very flexible and considerably more lightweight - as far as Indy boots go anyway.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey LWB from Alden SF arrived at my place according to delivery notification :) Pictures will be up shortly!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads