• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well I received my tassels back from Alden. They look fantastic.

Now I have a real dilemma. Do I keep them? I have the BB shell tassels in color 8 (which look exactly the same but with heel counter stitching), so I don't need two pairs of color 8 tassel loafers. However, I look at the color 8 tassels as the most versatile dress shoe you can own. You can wear with jeans, khakis or a suit. Your thoughts? Uncle Mac, what do you think? I could sell them (probably make a little money) and pick something else up. Perhaps a loafer on the Grant? Thoughts?

nephew,
i would keep the bb tassels because i like the foxing. i would sell or swap the other tassel for full strap in either #8 or cigar

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nephew,
i do wear boots with suits like cap toe, nst and wt and black, #8, cigar and ravello. i noticed that sazon is wearing #$ cap toe with a suit

Indeed, I do get suited & booted at least 3 times per week: PT boots, cap toe boots, and WT boots.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

let's us know what you decide to do

Will do. At the moment, I have an attachment to them and I am just going to put them aside. My first pair of shell tassel loafers served me for over 14 years and I wore them several times a week. Not sure I can let these go.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Will do. At the moment, I have an attachment to them and I am just going to put them aside. My first pair of shell tassel loafers served me for over 14 years and I wore them several times a week. Not sure I can let these go.

nephew,
this should be your worst problem for 2013

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I received my tassels back from Alden. They look fantastic.

Now I have a real dilemma. Do I keep them? I have the BB shell tassels in color 8 (which look exactly the same but with heel counter stitching), so I don't need two pairs of color 8 tassel loafers. However, I look at the color 8 tassels as the most versatile dress shoe you can own. You can wear with jeans, khakis or a suit. Your thoughts? Uncle Mac, what do you think? I could sell them (probably make a little money) and pick something else up. Perhaps a loafer on the Grant? Thoughts?

I have the Alden for BB tassels in color 8 and I like them.

Your new ones, which turned out great, are quite similar - :D - so I would suggest you get a different model.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^True on all counts.  Sorry for misquoting you.

Edit: While I am ballsy enough to wear LHS with a suit where corporate and local culture permit, I don't think I could do boot with a suit, even it it was a balmore boot.

Which do you think is lower on the formality spectrum, in the context of wearing with a suit?  For question's sake, we'll say cap-toe blucher boot or LHS.

To add another twist, what if the boot had a commando sole?

A captoe blucher boot on a leather sole is easily more formal than the LHS. Even if said boot had a commando sole I would consider it more formal than the LHS.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
A captoe blucher boot on a leather sole is easily more formal than the LHS. Even if said boot had a commando sole I would consider it more formal than the LHS.
Yep. I can't think of a single situation where I could wear LHS with a suit and not feel out of place. With boots on the other hand, barring black-tie events, I can't think of a situation where a leather or dainite soled boot wouldn't be just as appropriate as shoes, assuming it's a sleek enough boot. This is especially true of balmoral boots, but even cap-toe blucher boots.

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Alden for BB tassels in color 8 and I like them.
Your new ones, which turned out great, are quite similar - :D - so I would suggest you get a different model.

Thanks, SevenFold. I tend to agree, but I am going to put this decision off for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads