• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olifter

Reaction score

With NRO, if they do not have your shoe in stock, it seems to me that you need to expect the worst as far as wait time.  If they have your shoe in stock, it seems they'll get it to you in a week.  Even with the 25% off during the week of July 4th, I decided not to pay for shoes that were going to supposedly arrive in September.  I suppose if you know what your getting into with NRO in advance, it's not too bad.

I found out about NRO and the 25% off sale on this site and ordered a pair of shells. They responded via email and explained that my order would be delayed up to eight days. About two weeks later, the sent am email canceling my order.

I thought perhaps the 25% off for Aldens was a mistake. They have the shoes I tried to order on their site now.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experiences w/ the snap last? Translation to Barrie sizing?

Last edited:

Therendition

Reaction score
Any experiences w/ the snap last? Translation to Barrie sizing?

I believe this question was asked and answered a few pages back.

Last edited:

cloudshift

Reaction score
Any photos of 96601 (Dark Tan Shortwing) out there? Saw it on The Shoe Mart site, and don't think I'd seen any around. Reminds me of the recent pebbled J.Crew model, which was (of course) Barrie, while this Shoe Mart model is Leydon... Curious how this leather ages.

Also, any thoughts on Leydon lasted shoes for casual wear? Is the silhouette on Leydon much "slimmer" than Barrie? I've only had experience with Barrie lasted shoes, and wouldn't want something too "slim."

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always nice opening packages from Alden San Francisco.
Ravello LHS

Gorgeous! A fine specimen indeed.

Looks like dark edge trim? opposed to antique? am I correct?

I have plans to acquire TSM's version, but need it in C width. Since there is a supposed scarcity of Ravello, I decided I'd wait a while, rather than front TSM the money and wait 18-24+ months for the shoes.

Interesting insole. I bought my 986s from Alden San Francisco and they have a regular insole.

Enjoy those beauties!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any photos of 96601 (Dark Tan Shortwing) out there? Saw it on The Shoe Mart site, and don't think I'd seen any around. Reminds me of the recent pebbled J.Crew model, which was (of course) Barrie, while this Shoe Mart model is Leydon... Curious how this leather ages.

Also, any thoughts on Leydon lasted shoes for casual wear? Is the silhouette on Leydon much "slimmer" than Barrie? I've only had experience with Barrie lasted shoes, and wouldn't want something too "slim."
Thanks for any thoughts.

These look great - I don't think the Leydon is too slim to wear casually, the unlined chukka on that last is a great casual shoe. Also, many people go up a width on the Leydon anyway, so unless you have a really narrow foot I don't think you have to worry about it looking too slim. If you check Leffot's site for a Leydon-lasted Alden, you'll see they only offer E widths, as that would be comparable to a D in a lot of other lasts.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2nbd01t.jpg

#8 lhs
24pvx37.jpg

Last edited:

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gorgeous! A fine specimen indeed.  

Looks like dark edge trim? opposed to antique? am I correct?

I have plans to acquire TSM's version, but need it in C width.  Since there is a supposed scarcity of Ravello, I decided I'd wait a while, rather than front TSM the money and wait 18-24+ months for the shoes.

Interesting insole.  I bought my 986s from Alden San Francisco and they have a regular insole.

Enjoy those beauties!

They are probably the best quality Alden shoes I have received to date. Really no blemishes at all, and the ravello has more of the reddish tint as opposed to some of the darker ravello which has shown up recently.

Yes, they have the dark edge trim, which I prefer on my ravello shoes. I like the juxtaposition of the colors. And you are right about the ravello scarcity. Pretty slim pickings out there for ravello and whiskey unless you wear large sizes.

In regard to the insole, I have spoken to both Alden D.C. and San Francisco and I think they have been encouraged to do their own special make-ups which get their shop name stamped on them. At least San Francisco does, I can't speak for D.C. I think they are also putting the shop stamp on the rarer shells because my ravello ptb's have the same stamp.

And I will certainly enjoy them, thank you.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is some sort of explanation behind the scarcity of quality shells that has led to the shortage of whiskey and ravello. I was recently speaking with the local alden retailer, and he mentioned that quality calfskin in general is becoming harder to source because of the hormones or steroids that they are giving cows. It causes them to grow too fast and as a consequence the hide isn't able to develop as it otherwise would.

Just something I hear, but thought that it made a lot of sense.

tsekh

Reaction score

I wonder if there is some sort of explanation behind the scarcity of quality shells that has led to the shortage of whiskey and ravello.  I was recently speaking with the local alden retailer, and he mentioned that quality calfskin in general is becoming harder to source because of the hormones or steroids that they are giving cows.  It causes them to grow too fast and as a consequence the hide isn't able to develop as it otherwise would.

Just something I hear, but thought that it made a lot of sense.

The lighter the color, the more imperfections of the skin show up. Black and #8 are more abundant because their deep colors help cover the imperfection of the skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads