• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of you guys should just stay away from Shell Cordovan. It is an imperfect material which has natural spots of discoloration. If you can't handle this you should purchase only shoes made of calf. As to the stitching issues which Alden is famous for, this group gives them way too much of a pass.

Wait, my shell cordovans have no spots of discoloration at all. Did I get a defect?!

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait, my shell cordovans have no spots of discoloration at all. Did I get a defect?!

No you got the rare pair. People forget that horses used to make shell cordovan have not been raised to make shoes. If you speak wiht either Skip or Nick they will tell you how difficult it is to get shells that have no imperfections. This is why No. 8 is the most common--dark covering most imperfections--and the lighter shades are rarer.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of you guys should just stay away from Shell Cordovan. It is an imperfect material which has natural spots of discoloration. If you can't handle this you should purchase only shoes made of calf. As to the stitching issues which Alden is famous for, this group gives them way too much of a pass.

I think this is a very fair post.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you're trudging "below urinals and toilets," don't you think sloppy and errant Alden needle holes (like those below) might allow such unwanted liquid matter into the shoe?

Thats why I said construction issues are different. And quite frankly, anyone who needs to come to a forum FIRST, before contacting the place where you bought the shoes, or the shoe company itself, prob needs more help than what SF can provide. When I had my issue, I called Alden right away, and although I had to pay to ship them to the manufacturer, I got them back repaired, no questions asked, in TWO WEEKS. Both shoes were purchased off of B&S, one was gently worn, the other brand new, Alden never asked where I got them, or to provide a receipt, or anything like that. I think people count the wait time from their first "*****" on here, wait a few weeks to hear everyones thoughts and "poor you"s, and then call the retailer, who either takes them back and then ships to Alden, who then send them back to said retailer, before getting back to the buyer. A simple google search for Alden Shoes would give you a number and an address. Be polite when you speak to the person on the other end. It would expedite the process greatly, rather than going through the anti-Alden bukake that this thread can produce, if people just used their noggens a little bit more and depended less on the groupthink of an internet forum. I'm not saying be a sucker, but there are more important things in life than whats discussed on here.

nurktwin

Reaction score

As to the stitching issues which Alden is famous for, this group gives them way too much of a pass.

Agreed. Is Alden a union shop? Those stitching mishaps give the impression some of the Alden artisans are counting off the minutes to lunch.

Last edited:

nurktwin

Reaction score

Thats why I said construction issues are different. And quite frankly, anyone who needs to come to a forum FIRST, before contacting the place where you bought the shoes, or the shoe company itself, prob needs more help than what SF can provide. When I had my issue, I called Alden right away, and although I had to pay to ship them to the manufacturer, I got them back repaired, no questions asked, in TWO WEEKS. Both shoes were purchased off of B&S, one was gently worn, the other brand new, Alden never asked where I got them, or to provide a receipt, or anything like that. I think people count the wait time from their first "*****" on here, wait a few weeks to hear everyones thoughts and "poor you"s, and then call the retailer, who either takes them back and then ships to Alden, who then send them back to said retailer, before getting back to the buyer. A simple google search for Alden Shoes would give you a number and an address. Be polite when you speak to the person on the other end. It would expedite the process greatly, rather than going through the anti-Alden bukake that this thread can produce, if people just used their noggens a little bit more and depended less on the groupthink of an internet forum. I'm not saying be a sucker, but there are more important things in life than whats discussed on here.

Yikes. Don't bust a capillary. What makes you think I haven't contacted Alden multiple times? ===> http://www.styleforum.net/t/197865/alden-shell-cordovan-shoelace-hole-misalignment-is-this-normal

stroke5

Reaction score
Does cordovan stretch out as much as calfskin over time? I'm in between sizes and don't want to go up half a size if there's as much give as my calfskin pairs.

mugatu

Reaction score

Hi, I wish I had a better answer for you. Some lasts will never work for you. I am not sure if this is the case here but I had the same problem with the Darlton Wingtip where the 10 was really tight and the 10.5 was a little loose. I went with the 10.5 and though I wear the hell out of them I do notice they are looser. Since the boots you are looking at are calf(?) and a boot I think the situation is different.
I feel that the calf with stretch a little more BUT because it is a boot that the looser fit will make less of a difference. If you go the size up you could put some inserts in to possibly snug it up a little. There may be another option. Look for the boots you are looking at in Barrie. They are slightly different lasts. Good luck.

Modified last FTW.
BTW, the Trubalance is wider at the forefoot than the barrie, and slimmer in the waist and ball. The Barrie is not "huger" all around - not even close. I am a perfect 10 in TB, and really an ill-fitting 10D in barrie. I will be selling two very special Pitt boots because of this, sadly.

I've actually tried on a pair of Indy's in the modified last (went with my brannock size) and they were hands down the best fitting shoe i've ever had the luck of setting my foot into, simply a perfect fit!! unfortunately the color and leather were not what i was looking for ( they were blue suede ) also the banana shape is kind of, well different, for lack of a better term! but again the fit was so spot on as opposed to TB where i'm in between sizes..

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yikes. Don't bust a capillary. What makes you think I haven't contacted Alden multiple times? ===> http://www.styleforum.net/t/197865/alden-shell-cordovan-shoelace-hole-misalignment-is-this-normal

Sorry Nurk, not really angst directed at you, but the countless "this is unacceptable", "must be a union shop", "thats why I stick with AE, C&J, etc" bullshit that riddles this thread and others like it.

The lacehole thing isn't abnormal, in fact, my one pair of C&J for RL shoes have the exact same issue, not really that big of a deal. May even have to do with how you tie them when you put them on your feet, as well as the shape of your foot. As far as the glue and dangling thread, really? Someone in your thread put it well, "I'd consider myself lucky if this is a big deal to me". A littl hot water on an old sock, and the glue prob would be taken care of, and a pair of scissors should handle the dangler.

Anyway, like I said earlier, for the people that have the issues and want to do away with their Aldens, more for me.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Is Alden a union shop? Those stitching mishaps give the impression some of the Alden artisans are counting off the minutes to lunch.

My understanding is that they are.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've actually tried on a pair of Indy's in the modified last (went with my brannock size) and they were hands down the best fitting shoe i've ever had the luck of setting my foot into, simply a perfect fit!! unfortunately the color and leather were not what i was looking for ( they were blue suede ) also the banana shape is kind of, well different, for lack of a better term! but again the fit was so spot on as opposed to TB where i'm in between sizes..

It is hard to get modified last in the US. I am wearing a pair of #8 cap toe boots on the modified last right now. The first few times I wore them for the whole day they my feet would hurt the following day...they seem to have mega arch support. I cannot even tell the odd shape when wearing them or even notice it when I am brushing them. If you have not try barrie last as and plaza as well. Try them in boots because I feel the Barrie last boots fit different than the Barrie last shoes.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LMAO! Have mommy get you a bottle: .
string.jpg
[/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads