• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...When you factor in the trees, refinishing and round trip shipping included in the cost, I think it's an excellent deal.

Not trying to be an Alden apologist and not saying it's right, but I'm wondering if the new restoration policy is due to the increased popularity of their products. Since they seem to be having a hard time meeting demand, are the profit margins so much higher for a pair of new shoes/boots that it's not worthwhile for Alden to divert resources to do special restoration jobs?

As imatlas points out, after factoring in all the costs for restoring (trees, shipping, materials, wages, etc), how much do they actually make on it? I have no clue about shoe manufacturing and I'm not saying it's the right business decision regarding customer loyalty, satisfaction, etc but just wanted to throw it out there.

FWIW, I hope their policy changes when I need my shoes/boots restored :)

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but they aren't even special jobs. when a restoration order comes in, it takes the same effort for the person processing to recognize that Shoe X receives Original Sole Y as the same person seeing Shoe X and reading the customer wants Different Sole Z. if a company runs that inefficient to take simple requests, then god have mercy on them.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realized my cordovan chukkas are...not all the same color. In direct sunlight, it's clear that my right foot's front half/toe/tongue leather is a different color than the back half of the shoe--a purpler color. It also seems to be creasing really differently than the rest of the shoe. I guess I have to get in touch with where I got them from, but I was wondering if anybody's had this sort of trouble before and how it went.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realized my cordovan chukkas are...not all the same color. In direct sunlight, it's clear that my right foot's front half/toe/tongue leather is a different color than the back half of the shoe--a purpler color. It also seems to be creasing really differently than the rest of the shoe. I guess I have to get in touch with where I got them from, but I was wondering if anybody's had this sort of trouble before and how it went.

#8 i assume? post pics

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, #8. camera broke last month. gotta see if i can borrow a camera or something.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but they aren't even special jobs. when a restoration order comes in, it takes the same effort for the person processing to recognize that Shoe X receives Original Sole Y as the same person seeing Shoe X and reading the customer wants Different Sole Z. if a company runs that inefficient to take simple requests, then god have mercy on them.

I have no clue on the shoe biz. My primary assumption is since they make a lot more $$ producing new shoes than doing restoration jobs they would rather not deal with restoration requests at all. I wonder what % of their revenue and profit are restoration jobs. Single digits?

And if they are really that inefficient then it seems to make even more business sense for them to just focus on making new shoes, which is a whole other issue :)

sockpuppets

Reaction score
So what's the consensus on defective Aldens lately. My cigar shell boots just blew their stitching out after wearing them maybe a dozen times. -_- Terrible quality control imho.

ozzyboo

Reaction score
Not to switch the topic from the always interesting issue of Alden quality, but saw this post in Hyperbeast about a new collaboration between Alden and Obscura magazine, sold through Tassels in Hong Kong I assume. Both models are based on old prototypes that never made it into production and use a new leather that supposedly we'll be seeing more of in the future. Interesting Q&A that provides some perspective of Alden's Asian market.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no clue on the shoe biz. My primary assumption is since they make a lot more $$ producing new shoes than doing restoration jobs they would rather not deal with restoration requests at all. I wonder what % of their revenue and profit are restoration jobs. Single digits?

And if they are really that inefficient then it seems to make even more business sense for them to just focus on making new shoes, which is a whole other issue :)

I've heard that AE makes a good deal of their profit from their restorations. Someone "in the know" posted that on AAAC last year some time.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One would think that being able to have your shoes restored the way you like at a "reduced" profit margin is built into the higher initial price.

Last edited:

Dinosarti

Reaction score
This whole restoration jag we have gotten into sucks. I thought this thread was supposed to about the shoes we all love. It has evolved into a bunch of crying about what sole you get when you refurb your old shoes. Buy the shoe with the f@cking sole you wanted the first time around!!!

Refurbishment in and of itself is pretty cool. I can't believe they do it for the price they charge. Let's face it. We live in a disposable, single use world. I go through computers faster than shoes then the computer gets trashed.

Enough crying! If you don't like there policies write them a letter, burn your shoes and find a new favorite shoe. Or, better idea, start an "I hate Alden's refurb policy" thread and leave this one to fan boys who like shoe Appreciation.

Can I get an Amen?!? :)

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
think I might be putting 2 pairs up for sale in b&s tonight

Snuff suede PTBoot

LS "natty longwing" (natural chromexcel)

both 10.5D, barrie last, plantation sole. both worn 10 times or less

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting to get the Alden addiction and thinking about Indy boots. Im in Minnesota
so commando soles or something like it make more sense and I like the 403's. Im
also noticing a lot of specializing by retailers. Any advice on where/when to buy?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Starting to get the Alden addiction and thinking about Indy boots. Im in Minnesota
so commando soles or something like it make more sense and I like the 403's. Im
also noticing a lot of specializing by retailers. Any advice on where/when to buy?

did you read the last 3 pgs? lol

most indy's come on a leather sole. You want to look for the "ultimate indy"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads