• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

John Frum

Reaction score
Q:
The quarters on Indy 405s in my size are a finger's width from touching when laced. Will the quarters on Indy in Color 8 shell be worse or the same in your opinions? I'd like to grab a pair.

These fit properly, with the exception of the quarters. I have wide feet with skinny heels and ankles.
Thank you

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be about the same. This is why I go down a full size in TB boots contrary to standard sizing advice (which is half size).
Q:
The quarters on Indy 405s in my size are a finger's width from touching when laced. Will the quarters on Indy in Color 8 shell be worse or the same in your opinions? I'd like to grab a pair.

These fit properly, with the exception of the quarters. I have wide feet with skinny heels and ankles.
Thank you

Rowyourboat

Reaction score
Hey gents, I'm doing research and planning to buy an Alden LHS loafer in Snuff Suede. Does Alden do sales, or should I wait for TheShoeMart to have the seconds available to get the best price? Just wondering if they go on discount periodically or if they're usually sticker price.

slows2k

Reaction score
Hey gents, I'm doing research and planning to buy an Alden LHS loafer in Snuff Suede. Does Alden do sales, or should I wait for TheShoeMart to have the seconds available to get the best price? Just wondering if they go on discount periodically or if they're usually sticker price.
Pretty much never on sale as far as I have seen. it's a perennial offering so they never clear them out anywhere. factory seconds is the way to go to save money, or secondary market. They're absolutely worth every penny at full price though.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Generally speaking, there are no sales and TSM seconds would be the best bet for a reduced price on new. There is always a very slim chance that someone bought a pair, didn't wear them and now selling them at a discount. If you wait for a discount it is likely that you will never own a pair.

Rowyourboat

Reaction score
Good to know. I did check out some of the used shoes but I heard some horror stories about cleaning shoes and decided I'll just get a new pair.

I was also looking into the black shell cordovan version (https://www.aldenshop.com/products/987-leisure-handsewn-penny-loafer-black-shell-cordovan). Would this still be appropriate for more casual wear i.e. with dark denim jeans and a shirt? Or best to just wear with trousers given the black color.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Good to know. I did check out some of the used shoes but I heard some horror stories about cleaning shoes and decided I'll just get a new pair.

I was also looking into the black shell cordovan version (https://www.aldenshop.com/products/987-leisure-handsewn-penny-loafer-black-shell-cordovan). Would this still be appropriate for more casual wear i.e. with dark denim jeans and a shirt? Or best to just wear with trousers given the black color.

Wear them however you like. Even if they are black, they are still handsewn penny loafers, i.e., a casual shoe. I wear black shell LHS with everything from charcoal flannel to grey herringbone tweed to black denim.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snuff Suede LWB for a day full of conference calls...Supposed to be 80* here in the Bay, so wanted to be comfortable.
1000010581.jpg

1000010582.jpg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t have much reason to rock these any more but the Cooper Foundation luncheon (honoring the legendary Chuck Cooper, original pioneer and first Black drafted into the NBA) is an appropriate occasion……..

View attachment 2164539

View attachment 2164541

Very nice shoes.

I am starting to use my best shoes for non special situations. Better being overdressed than underdressed.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals. The classic 975.

IMG_0106.jpg

ac106

Reaction score

I’m not sure what horror stories you read, but cleaning used shoes is pretty easy and there’s nothing horrificical about it.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put my deposit down for the Neocork Indy boots (40538h) 🫣😁…My first boots since my doc martens almost 10 years ago. I figured this would be a good reentry into boots.
Hell of a way to break that 10 year pause on boot purchases! Color 8 Shell Indy's are (in my eyes) one of the best examples of boots in the Alden portfolio! Please post them when you receive those beauties!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads