• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

kmarriner

Reaction score
Well, after about 10 wears of my Ravello PCTs I have come to love the boots; But it definitely confirmed what I always though would be true.. I just don't like the commando sole. I can't really describe why, they just don't feel good under my foot and I don't like the way they look.

I guess I will need to send these off to get them swapped to leather sooner than I had hoped. Or find someone selling a more interesting pair and sell these ones on.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, after about 10 wears of my Ravello PCTs I have come to love the boots; But it definitely confirmed what I always though would be true.. I just don't like the commando sole. I can't really describe why, they just don't feel good under my foot and I don't like the way they look.

I guess I will need to send these off to get them swapped to leather sooner than I had hoped. Or find someone selling a more interesting pair and sell these ones on.
Just "hate wear" them for a while. Then get them re-soled.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is another option.
I did this with a pair of cap toe boots because they felt a little shifty (even though they are my usual size on the Barrie last). Ended up fading them over last summer and it was a fun experiment. I almost sold them before doing this (sharing your frustration)...

IMG_2066 copy.jpeg

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It baffles me how often commando is used on the majority of special make ups for what seems now years from most stockists. I basically only look for non-commando options as I've had too many issues with those soles delaminating and toes falling apart.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
It baffles me how often commando is used on the majority of special make ups for what seems now years from most stockists. I basically only look for non-commando options as I've had too many issues with those soles delaminating and toes falling apart.
This is how I feel about ridgeway. Absolutely the worst sole in my opinion. When it comes to comfortable it's leather or Dainite studded for me. Even commando is much more comfortable than ridgeway to me.

slows2k

Reaction score
Thirded. I won’t buy anything on commando. Alden’s double leather is so good, I don’t know why so few makeups use it.

I even had a conversation with someone at the SF location who agreed about the durability of the commando soles.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Thirded. I won’t buy anything on commando. Alden’s double leather is so good, I don’t know why so few makeups use it.

I even had a conversation with someone at the SF location who agreed about the durability of the commando soles.

Fourthed. Commando is also an instant DQ for me. Not as comfortable as leather and not as durable.. The commando pairs in my hoard are getting double leather as soon as my hate wearing does them in. One is already delaminating.

DG123

Reaction score

Commando sole is fine if the pair gets worn a few times per year indoors.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I’ve heard that a few other brands also have problems with their commando-equivalent sole option. It’s a real head scratcher to me that brands in these price points know about the issue but still put it out there.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fourthed. Commando is also an instant DQ for me. Not as comfortable as leather and not as durable.. The commando pairs in my hoard are getting double leather as soon as my hate wearing does them in. One is already delaminating.
Did Gamera destroy your old avatar pic?????

Alozano

Reaction score
Does anyone know the sizing for Alden loafers, like if they run large, small, true to size, etc? The ones I'm interested in specifically are the 660 loafers. My shoe size is a 9.5, but I have a particular issue with having uneven feet(my right foot being slightly larger than my left), so I I have to take that into account when sizing for shoes. I recently got a pair of Jordaan loafers from Gucci that are a size 8.5(those run pretty big so I had to actually go down in size for those). Does anyone here know how Alden sizes in general? Any recommendations for what size I'd likely need to get for those?

Last edited:

kmarriner

Reaction score

I've avoided them until now, but the price on these was too good to pass up. I generally look for makeups with double leather or neocork.

I will give them some hate wearing and then break down and resole them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads