1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illumin8em

illumin8em Well-Known Member

Anyone else having problems with theshoemart 2nds lately? The past three emails, the links have directed me to nothing but the login page, and when searched for the ALDEN FD still nothing. This last email came with a little video to show how to use the email, but still nothing.

2. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

@tifosi

Tif, I aint seen you around this way on the Fora in a minute...but there you go...sassin' and harassin' like you never left...[​IMG]

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

@Marcomud7 , I know just how you feel. A few years ago I thought I hit the jackpot with a pair of Ravello PTB's also from Alden SF. Much to my dismay what arrived at my doorstep a couple of days later, was something that looked more like Cigar. I decided to stay with them as Cigar PTBs pleased as well. If it did not, I would have sent them back. I think your "dark" whiskeys still look pretty damn good (though darker than my ravello), but you have to be the judge of that.

Here are my 'Brownvellos"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, anyone who got these dark whiskeys in the aberdeen shortwing a la Harrison's, you should count your blessings. They look even better than the ravello shortwings on barrie from Leather Soul several years back!

4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I took a little break from the forum. Slowly making my way back. Glad to see you guys didn't forget about me.

1 person likes this.
  5. Marcomud7

Marcomud7 Member

Yes... and he just sent me a 640 x 484 size photo of the shoes with "dark whisky" on the subject...
    When I received the shoes I was like.... "I knew it, I knew this's gonna happen!!!"
    I even asked Jim to send me more photos before he send out the shoes but he only send me the same 640 x 484 photo......

6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Return and wait. Such is the Alden shell game. Sorry.

7. Marcomud7

Marcomud7 Member

If I were you I would still accept it as the color is still alright
    Trust me, if you see my pair in person you will be amazed by those black spots on the toe... just so many and so "deep"

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Exactly it's cool to vent here in the forum because we get it. Playing the shell game however comes with inherent risks. It should be noted as soon as a member discussed getting rid of a pair of rare shells members lined up to take them of his hands. Alden holds all the leverage and it's the way of the world. You may want to call a retailer and order 20 stock pairs in calf :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Those bluchers look the exact same color as my Vass bourbon boots:

[​IMG]

I heard from a retailer of another brand who spoke directly to kick Horween that bourbon will mostly be replacing whiskey going forward.

10. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is the current run of whiskey shortwings from Harrison Ltd. Frankly, this color is gorgeous even though it's a bit darker (you can tell based on the contrast with the piping, which is more of the typical whiskey color). It's more gold than before. I think that Whiskey sometimes looks too much like Natural.

And here is my pair from 2014:

[​IMG]

And for further comparison - whiskey wingtip boots from 2015:

[​IMG]

And whiskey saddles from this year:

[​IMG]

And yes, I did go and find pictures of me wearing the same pair of light grey trousers for a more ideal comparison. Sadly the lighting differs slightly, but this is pretty accurate.

11. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

In terms of availability, I believe that is partially true. However, my understanding is that Whiskey will continue to be available -- it is a very popular color and is the most heavily produced "light" shell that Horween offers along with Natural. They are just taking more "tweener" shells that might be too imperfect for Whiskey and making them into Bourbon instead of Color 8, Black, Dark Cognac, etc.

12. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

My only argument is that you don't have them in the same lighting at the same time.
    What Mike did is a little more accurate.
    From what I see it is slightly darmer, but not drastically.
    It is NOTHING like the brownvellows I have compared to my other ravellos.
    Ill take a better pic of three ravellos later. One is like C4, one is like dark whiskey and one is like cigar.... All ravello

13. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I don't have the new Harrison shortwings, so all I can do is compare the pairs I have. Next time I am at home with decent lighting, I'll take a photo of all of my whiskey pairs next to each other.

I agree that Ravello has more variation. My Ravello cap toe boots are almost the shade of old Cigar, whereas my NST boots are much more "traditional" Ravello. I used to have more Ravello (chukkas, 4 pairs of LWBs, etc.) but I sold them all, so I can't compare the colors as easily on Ravello in a photo anymore.

But here are some photos from a while back:

Ravello, L to R:

2015 cap toe, 2015 NST, 2012 chukka, 2012 LWB, 2009 full-strap

[​IMG]

Whiskey:

2015 wingtip boots, 2014 shortwings, 2016 LWB, 2013 PTB

[​IMG]

As you can see, the 2016 Whiskey is definitely the outlier amongst the whiskey, whereas all the Ravello pairs vary.

14. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

+1, there will always be something better in the future.

As for Alden SF service has always been exceptional. Last time I was in store I was in a hoodie and super hungover. My gf wanted to shop around the area so I just stopped in as I was curious if they had any green suede on sale. Ended up talking for about 20 minutes and went through random stock pairs they had in back. There is a list but I've also been told if you are in store and they just got stock you can skip the spot on list if you make purchase on the spot like you did. I think I've only dealt with Jim and one other guy, not sure how the rest of the staff is.

This is a really good list. I haven't really bought any rare shell in past few years but when I did I got rare shell from just emailing AoC directly (I had purchased two pairs before). Shoemart I got them by being on list and they charged card and shipped once they received them. (My first order was Color 4 boots, nothing before hand). I think this is pretty outdated now though.

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

16. aldennoob

aldennoob Well-Known Member

i also got one pair from the current run and my though is the same with you. I will take them outside under sunlight and see:slayer:

17. Marcomud7

Marcomud7 Member

Any black spots on the toe?[​IMG]

18. aldennoob

aldennoob Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    photo under weak sunlight
    you can see a few little black spot if you zoom in
    i think it is acceptable

1 person likes this.
  19. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

Please allow me to offer some general advice. While there are certain shortcomings from shoemakers that are totally unacceptable.

It is my humble advice that you dear men DO NOT get the magnifying glass out and begin to inspect the shoes round about.

Alden in particular (And AE to a greater degree) are known for having lackluster QC from time to time.

Nevertheless, the indirect sunlight on the most recent pic has changed my mind about the shade. Very nice actually.

Enjoy your shoes gentlemen.

2 people like this.
  20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Ill find out in a few days :slayer:

I hope you guys dont mind me butting in the conversation - Im trying to be an active part of the thread. Ive always loved Alden and have many pairs personally, and have sold even more. But im not an expert which is why I've been reading every post in here slowly but surely. Still trying to learn all the intricacies. So please indulge me with one more - I just got these in, but im unsure what makes a "Bookmaker edition" that - can someone give me the 2 cent version on what that means? And what exactly these are? Im guessing #8 on Barrie?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.