1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

FWIW, I think LOTS of fine leather shoes come from the factory in a state that is more of a starting point. That certainly appears to be a darker shade of whiskey (which actually appeals to me), but I'd bet the finish is going to improve a lot with brushing, etc.

A little disappointed that everyone in the SF store played dumb when I mentioned that I'd heard some whiskey had run through the shop... I think I even said "I'm sure it's all already spoken for, but I heard..." :\

2. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

FWIW I believe you may be investing in the wrong brands.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Maybe the shell would have more traction unglazed. Or perhaps they used the grain side instead?? Love to see a photo of one of these, if any still exist.
    Looks a lot like bourbon to me. It wouldn't surprise me if Horween is replacing whiskey with bourbon going forward, and companies like Alden just continue to call it whiskey. It's the same dye after all, just the hides that end up too dark to be considered "whiskey."

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Quote:No - what I'm saying is I'm digging patina shoes more than I am absolutely perfect leather. That whiskey kinda resembles my natty cxl and my guess is six months from now the new owner is going to love it. I get why it wasn't what he expected.

5. bkdc

bkdc Well-Known Member

Isn't bourbon a whiskey? LOL. Just being cheeky. We know the crazy variations in colors of Scotch whiskey due aging in barrels which used to contain sherry or port or other alcoholic drink. I agree with above. Light colored shell cordovan is a work in progress as it ages.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  6. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Ahhhh. I misunderstood you. I thought you meant shoes not being delivered with the finishing up to a certain standard and it's up to the customer to finish to their expectations.

7. gatszu

gatszu Well-Known Member

I was able to snag a pair last week after someone mentioned there was an email from Alden SF. Prior to calling, I emailed the store and the next day, after I had already ordered, they reponded to the email and said there was no whiskey, and asked if I wanted to be added to a list. I am already in their list. But had I not call, wouldn't have been able to get a pair.

8. epc2

epc2 Well-Known Member

That whiskey PTB shell looks very dry!!

9. Watchman1

Watchman1 Well-Known Member

@Marcomud7

If it were me, I would not sweat those little spots at all.

The last time I heard, only 9 of 100 shells are used for whiskey from Horween. Roughly 9%

This is due to the lighter shell showing blemishes. Also, the PTB style itself tends to be more unforgiving in this regard due to it being essentially a whole cut with blucher flaps sewn to the side.

Furthermore, you may be able to rectify it somewhat by wearing them and using basic care products.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  10. Marcomud7

Marcomud7 Member

I know @Watchman1 ......... that's why people started to inbox me......
    But I doubt those spots will disappear?[​IMG]

11. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Don't listen to anyone else. If you aren't happy with them, return them. A better pair will be available, someday.

1 person likes this.
  12. Watchman1

I totally understand your feelings. And, as @tifosi has said, if you yourself are not happy then by all means send them back.

My advice is coming from fairly extensive experience with Horween Shell. What I see on your shoes is not the end of the world.

This stuff works wonders:

[​IMG]

https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-cordovan-shoe-polish.html

You may use code: StyleForum for a 10% discount.

Thanks.

13. Watchman1

@Marcomud7

The thing that concerns me most about your shoes is NOT the spots at all, but rather the very dark nature of the "Whiskey" shell that Alden is using.

If the pics you have posted are true, then that is perhaps the darkest Alden whiskey to date.

Here is what my pair that is about 10 yrs old looks like:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Agree. In that lighting they look like Ravello or even Cigar. I know shell has been getting darker, but they are no form of whiskey. Pass.

15. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

EP Barrie Alt Wien
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 people like this.
  16. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Tapatalk duplicate post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. totalair1

totalair1 Well-Known Member

A cold day in Dallas. Broke my trusty Cigar CT boot from Alden DC

Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  18. gilby

gilby Well-Known Member

Incoming rare shell rant, for those who have heard it before please turn away. All profanity has been omitted for the young among us.

SF Alden has a rare shell list!?! WTF... I'm a bit shocked as I've asked that exact question the last 2 times I purchased $750.00 boots from them. I'm not that chattiest guy, I don't like to take to much of a salespersons time but I am polite and friendly. I had the luck of walking into the SF store a few years back and they had a pair of cigar chukkas in my size which I jumped on. In the conversation that followed I was told they had no list and you just had to be lucky and oh yes they never do Ravello etc.

The D.C. store has been the only friendly experience I've had when inquiring about rare shell. The Shoe Mart gave me no return call or email. Madison acted as if I had tracked dog crap into their store. Leather soul, please... I understand that it must get extremely annoying for them to deal with this issue but that is not really my problem. I have purchased shoes from all the above retailers in hopes of currying some favor to no avail. I know the suggestions for getting on lists being persistent etc. I am not a squeaky wheel and don't like to pester people which may be why I get the brush off. I am a good customer who when given good service will be a customer for life, that may explain why B&M gets the majority of my business. If SF had been honest with me they'd be my go to as I live 20 min. away. Now I just don't see how I can give them any more business which is a shame.

Rant over, I feel better now. Back to enjoying my to large collection of black & color 8 shell.

19. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this helps (this is only for shops that have gotten rare shells in the last few years and that I am personally aware of their system for doling out rare shells):

• Alden SF = send e-mail to online (at) aldenshoe.com to be put on the list for specific models
    • Alden DC = call, ask for Kathy to put you on list for specific models
    • Alden of Madison = no lists, all via newsletter e-mail blasts (subscribe on their site) or to preferred customers
    • TheShoeMart = email edz (at) theshoemart.com and ask to be put on the wish list for specific models
    • Harrison Ltd. = call the shop to be put on the list for specific models
    • Leffot = no lists, preferred customers only
    • LeatherSoul = no lists, preferred customers only
    • Alden of Carmel = no lists, preferred customers only

I personally don't appreciate the "play dumb" approach, which some of these shops utilize. I will say I don't agree with your opinion of one of the shops in your post, but I'm not going to get into details.

1 person likes this.
  20. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

This, exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.