• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OCBD collar roll thread

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a rather good result with mine...
Otherwise i like very much Gant Rugger repros (without logo) that they do from time to time, but they are hard to find.
And I heard only good things by @Botolph about Ratio Clothing shirts...

Yeah @Clouseau, Ratio has a “Fitzgerald” collar option, a three-finger one. Also, Michael Spencer does great custom shirts. They’re both cheaper than Gitman Vintage and have the plus of personalized sizing.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the MiUSA Brooks Brothers oxfords. I buy a bunch every year when they run a 40% off sale. (I don't really like to spend more than that on shirts.) Collar roll gets better as they break in, too.

I've never seen someone complaining about them being "too slim." I have shirts in the same size, and BB Regent fit is similar to Gant Rugger "EZ" fit. That is (or used to be) Gant Rugger's relaxed fit, but BB has two more relaxed fits (Madison and Traditional) on top of Regent. The Gant Rugger "The Hugger" fit is slimmer than Brooks.

I would assume that Gitman Vintage and Spier & Mackay would also be on the slimmer side. If you want fuller cuts, have you considered Mercer & Sons?

I've also never had a problem with BB customer service. YMMV, I guess.

yanagi

Reaction score
I have in the past, their collar did not roll much. I recall it being quite flat. If I opt with GV I rather go with Portuguese Flannel. Thanks! @Clouseau

I bought an unlined OCBD from O'Connell's, which I believe is made by Gitman Brothers. I wasn't happy with the collar roll either, but then I moved the buttons and it significantly improved the roll.

That said, if you're buying a new shirt, I recommend Michael Spencer.

MichaelSpencer.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like the MiUSA Brooks Brothers oxfords. I buy a bunch every year when they run a 40% off sale. (I don't really like to spend more than that on shirts.) Collar roll gets better as they break in, too.

I've never seen someone complaining about them being "too slim." I have shirts in the same size, and BB Regent fit is similar to Gant Rugger "EZ" fit. That is (or used to be) Gant Rugger's relaxed fit, but BB has two more relaxed fits (Madison and Traditional) on top of Regent. The Gant Rugger "The Hugger" fit is slimmer than Brooks.

I would assume that Gitman Vintage and Spier & Mackay would also be on the slimmer side. If you want fuller cuts, have you considered Mercer & Sons?

I've also never had a problem with BB customer service. YMMV, I guess.

Actually this Gant Rugger "The Hugger", in "fluffy" oxford, is my favorite OCBD. Although it is in a very soft fabric, it has a very nice roll (better seen when worn).

The Hugger.JPG

flashjack

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a few new OCBDs, has anyone put Kamakura's sport shirts through their paces? Their new york slim fit works well for me, sadly they don't have the same colours available as they do in their Tokyo fit yet.

Joe J.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for some new OCBDs replacing my old Uniqlos.

Looking to upgrade, specifically, I'm looking at Kamakura Shirts MTMs.

How should OCBD MTMs fit? I have a good fit for dress shirts from Kamakura. Should I just use that?

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Erik - cloth details on the jacket with the 100 Hands shirt? Fox? I love it and want it.

Fox flannel, Dalcuore.

Hi Erik, since I saw your post I’ve been looking for the Blugiallo shirt you posted. I only see online websites that aren’t in English. Any direction you could give me would be appreciated.
Thank you.

TBH, I don’t know if they do business outside Sweden.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers everything seems too slim and screw their customer service.

Brooks Brothers has four fits: Milano, Regent, Madison, and Traditional. I doubt that you would find Traditional too slim.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has four fits: Milano, Regent, Madison, and Traditional. I doubt that you would find Traditional too slim.

Seriously, this. Even BB Madison is a very generous cut. @gettoasty doesn't know what he's talking about.

I want to try out Spier & McKay but unsure of sizing...good price though so maybe worth trying a few rounds to get the fit right, return shipping notwithstanding.

Spier & Mackay makes some nice OCBD's in terms of fabrics/collars and a good price point, but their fits actually are all too slim. For reference:

S&M's most generous shirt cut is their "contemporary." My size in contemporary, 16.5, has a 46.5 chest measurement; that's pretty darn slim. For comparison, Lands' End tailored fit dress shirts in size 16.5 have a 49.5" chest. That's their tailored fit, and it's a full 3 inches larger in the chest than S&M's most relaxed fit. Brooks Bros' "Regent" or "trim fit" as they now call it (their second slimmest out of 4 fits) size 16.5 has a chest measurement of 50.5".

I wish S&M would make an "athletic" fit OCBD, or something, with more room in the chest and shoulders.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads