• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by athletics
Last week Business Week released their MBA school rankings (US only), they come out every two years and are seen as the most important rankings from what I can tell. Here is the list and the link.

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interac...2008/index.asp

THeir US rankings may be debatable but their non-US MBA rankings are off-the-charts ridiculous.
plain.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikejones
Without question, one of the biggest wastes of money one can find.

It serves one purpose; to drive the profits of the b-schools.

True for some, not for others. Return on investment is actually pretty easy to calculate for anyone considering b-school for a career change/upgrade. Take someone who made $50k/yr pre b-school and had a career trajectory taking him to $60k two years later, and 10%/year average earnings growth. He's looking at b-school as a way to access a $125k job with 20%+/yr earnings growth, then the $100k investment in an MBA + $105k of foregone earnings might be worth it. It's an investment that would have a 3 year payback and a high NPV.

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
athletics,
did you get enrolled into GaTech evening MBA program? I am thinking about applying for some programs as well,got into GSU MBA program. Tech is great,but as far as I remember tuition for evening program was $45K,right?

Yep. I will PM you as to not bore everyone...

Bob01

Reaction score
So, would the general consensus be as long as a program has AACSB certification - it should have decent instruction and courses?

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob01
So, would the general consensus be as long as a program has AACSB certification - it should have decent instruction and courses?

From my understanding, the AACSB is a must-have for a good experience, but just because it has that certification doesn't make the program worth the money or time. Unless your goal is only to have MBA next to your name, and I know some people like that, then you want to judge a school on a few other factors.

I visited a school that was AACSB certified and I thought the lack of student knowledge hurt the class discussion and probably the group work. Group work at some schools is an important thing.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Not a big fan of Queens?

I went to Queen's Univ in Kingston, Ontario. Excellent school.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I went to Queen's Univ in Kingston, Ontario. Excellent school.

Just curious - where abouts do you work? Did you end up on Toronto/Southern Ontario or were you able to go elsewhere with your Queens MBA?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
Just curious - where abouts do you work? Did you end up on Toronto/Southern Ontario or were you able to go elsewhere with your Queens MBA?

I went to Queen's for my undergrad. I got my MBA from the Univ of Iowa.

How have Queen's MBA grads done?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shuuy
I'm in my first year of an MBA at HBS. Next year's apps are up ~25%

MBA apps are usually up in a down economy.

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shuuy
I'm in my first year of an MBA at HBS. Next year's apps are up ~25%

Do you know if they are taking more people because of the increase? Is it harder for some students to get funding or loans? I have heard the top tier programs aren't having as much trouble as the mid and lower tier schools. I am curious to see how its going at HBS.

dpw

Reaction score
i have always had a buring desire to see the world and thought i might as well get paid while doing it. i choose the thunderbird school of global management. it has been ranked #1 in this arena for many years. a speciality school to be sure, but i really enjoyed my time there. lots of interesting peple from all over the world and once you graduate you have a built in network. no matter where i travel i always have contacts who are eager to help. i have owned my own company for many years and travel alone alot and i can really rely on this network of like minded t-birds for personal or business 'know how". that and a real commradare between graduates made my time there very worthwhile.

the people i was closest to when i graduated are still my best friends and despite being seperated by geography and time we all still hang togethor.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I went to Queen's for my undergrad. I got my MBA from the Univ of Iowa.

How have Queen's MBA grads done?

Not sure how they have done - I haven't run into many of them (I live in Vancouver). I'm not a huge fan of "top tier" Canadian MBA progams - the average starting pay is very poor compared to other international top tier programs.

shuuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by athletics
Do you know if they are taking more people because of the increase? Is it harder for some students to get funding or loans? I have heard the top tier programs aren't having as much trouble as the mid and lower tier schools. I am curious to see how its going at HBS.

- Doubtful they'll take more people... Where will they put them?
- Funding commitments for this year are honoured... Next year, it will be much tougher for international students, and the current program (CitiAssist) is canceled.

My take is that the big winners for next year will be tier 2/3 schools, who get tier 1 candidates who would get into tier 1 schools if it wasn't as competitive.

Applications are always up in a down economy
- But they're higher than 2000/2001...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads