• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniel Belzil

Reaction score
Can someone point me towards a reliable Hong Kong tailor that will copy shirts using the customer's own fabric? I want to ship fabric for 10+ shirts along with a shirt to be copied exactly and have the finished shirts shipped back to me. What price point would I be looking at?

Thanks!

bamboo

Reaction score
Can someone point me towards a reliable Hong Kong tailor that will copy shirts using the customer's own fabric? I want to ship fabric for 10+ shirts along with a shirt to be copied exactly and have the finished shirts shipped back to me. What price point would I be looking at?

Thanks!

For anybody before making any recommendation or referral, it would be helpful to know your expectation level. Sending your shirt can make a good enough copy in general (no disaster) in terms of fit, but they are not necessary exact copy. Key measurements will be the same but adjustment for roping shoulder etc may not be. Copying detail of hand sewn shirts or a shirt from a particular brand may be difficult too. Plus, what kind of fabric are you going to ship? both maker and customer need to be cautious using expensive customers' fabric. I am saying this because I do not want see both customers and tailors getting into trouble of "remake, refund and alteration".

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For anybody before making any recommendation or referral, it would be helpful to know your expectation level. Sending your shirt can make a good enough copy in general (no disaster) in terms of fit, but they are not necessary exact copy. Key measurements will be the same but adjustment for roping shoulder etc may not be. Copying detail of hand sewn shirts or a shirt from a particular brand may be difficult too. Plus, what kind of fabric are you going to ship? both maker and customer need to be cautious using expensive customers' fabric. I am saying this because I do not want see both customers and tailors getting into trouble of "remake, refund and alteration".

@bamboo is 100% right. It's super hard to manage the expectations. Tailors are like chefs, they all have their own certain way of preparing their dish. You need to find one that your palette favors. Simply bringing your favorite cut meat doesn't get you very far.

If you plan on repeat orders, make sure that the tailor use digital patterns and that the fabric is cut by laser. That limits the margin for error in repeat orders, granted the first original pattern fits you well.

Good luck!

BernieL

Reaction score
Sure, nailing a bespoke pattern and achieving “perfection” will take a few tries but I believe that the first attempt should yield a proper, good fit.

HuggyBear

Reaction score
Sure, nailing a bespoke pattern and achieving “perfection” will take a few tries but I believe that the first attempt should yield a proper, good fit.
I second this. My first and only trial with Ascot Chang yielded a good enough fit on day 3 that I ordered 6 shirts and all fit very well.

BernieL

Reaction score
I second this. My first and only trial with Ascot Chang yielded a good enough fit on day 3 that I ordered 6 shirts and all fit very well.

Who did you work with? Even with a remake, my first AC shirt fit me poorly. Nelson thought it was a “perfect fit.” Refer to my pics a few pages prior in the thread.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
On the brighter side...I got my TC Bespoke Tailor Ltd shirt already. They stopped using "But Sifu" so there is no longer a non-fused option. Anyway...

Below is after washing and brief ironing in a domestic setting. I tumble-dried this shirt - as it is meant for "rough wear" anyway. :bounce2:

Full review on fit and make to follow.

HuggyBear

Reaction score
Who did you work with? Even with a remake, my first AC shirt fit me poorly. Nelson thought it was a “perfect fit.” Refer to my pics a few pages prior in the thread.
I can’t remember the guy’s name at the TST branch. Nelson was away on roadshow in the US when I got there and I was worried because the recommendation I had was for Nelson. I decided to try anyway and was very pleased. Point of note, I wore a very good fitting shirt I’d had made in savile row and then gave a complete list of everything I wanted. I remember assuming split yoke was default but it was missing at my first fitting and the reason was I hadn’t asked for it! So I consulted my list and ensured I ask for everything I wanted even if it should be obvious and standard given they’re £200 a pop shirts.

BernieL

Reaction score
@HuggyBear I’m sure having a good fitting bespoke shirt in the first place helped towards achieving a satisfactory fit from AC. Unfortunately, I did not have that perfect fitting shirt in the first place, but good to hear that you had great results.

extremepc

Reaction score
I'm following up on my previous post here about my poor-fitting Ascot Chang shirt. I've been working with them to get a remake, and I recently received it. I am incredibly disappointed to report that it doesn't appear to be much better (and was surprised to see that they darted the back even though it didn't seem to help much). I think at this point I might just give up, but am looking for guidance on how to proceed if I do try to salvage this. These pictures are fresh from a pressing.
tuck1.jpg tuck2.jpg tuck3.jpg tuck4.jpg tuck5.jpg tuck6.jpg tuck7.jpg untuck1.jpg untuck2.jpg untuck3.jpg untuck4.jpg untuck5.jpg untuck6.jpg untuck7.jpg

Last edited:

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@HuggyBear I’m sure having a good fitting bespoke shirt in the first place helped towards achieving a satisfactory fit from AC. Unfortunately, I did not have that perfect fitting shirt in the first place, but good to hear that you had great results.

@BernieL - how much did you end up paying from shopping around until getting it right?

Hifilover

Reaction score
I'm following up on my previous post here about my poor-fitting Ascot Chang shirt. I've been working with them to get a remake, and I recently received it. I am incredibly disappointed to report that it doesn't appear to be much better (and was surprised to see that they darted the back even though it didn't seem to help much). I think at this point I might just give up, but am looking for guidance on how to proceed if I do try to salvage this. These pictures are fresh from a pressing.
View attachment 1115430 View attachment 1115431 View attachment 1115432 View attachment 1115433 View attachment 1115434 View attachment 1115435 View attachment 1115436 View attachment 1115437 View attachment 1115438 View attachment 1115439 View attachment 1115440 View attachment 1115441 View attachment 1115442 View attachment 1115443
Send above photos to AC , they will help you . They have good reputation for customers satisfaction .

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cardiotens