• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

addedfuel

Reaction score
I ordered 2 suits and 3 suits from Lee Baron in 2012 and can't say I would try them again. No bargain and fair service.

Last edited:

Wongtouski

Reaction score

What then, pray, would not be too expensive? I mean, let's be honest, these are fully-canvassed prices. Let's say half of the price goes to overhead, margin, and things like the necessary haberdashery, and that it takes 10 hours to make a suit (and I think for a three-piece, it's more), that means you're paying 300 HKD per working hour. I'd be happy if I could get away paying my plumber that much.

I fully understand that prices are subjective to everyone, but by your calculations these workers make more than me.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In one of the world's most expensive cities to live, yes. Also, being very optimistic in terms of the time that goes into a fully canvassed suit.

But I guess the more important point is this (starting rant): what the bloody hell is it that people expect from Hong Kong tailors? A bespoke suit made to Savile Row standards with Zegna Super 200 cloth, ready in two days,with their idealized fit and silhouette, for 300 bucks? Why should anyone expect a discount for quantity ordering? As far as I know, you don't get one at Huntsman or A&S, neither do you get one at Sam Hober. A Brooks Brothers suit will cost you as much as a Lee Baron one, and given the low costs that Brooks must be able to negotiate on fabric and the fact that they produce assembly-line style in low-income countries, I'm not sure that Lee Baron isn't a fair deal. Will there be tailors in Hong Kong able to offer a lower price for a similar product? Probably, but I haven't found them, and although I do speak Chinese, I simply don't have the time to go and look around. I appreciate any tips, but Do tailors have a moral obligation to advertise their services on SF? I shouldn't think so. There seems to be a compunction about scoring a deal on this forum, rather than building a relationship with someone. It just doesn't work like that.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Form my experience. The really good one in Hong Kong only likes to do local orders. I am not aware the one me and my father uses even has business outside the legal circle.

He even does legal uniforms better than what my dad got in E&R bespoke.

Last edited:

Wongtouski

Reaction score

In one of the world's most expensive cities to live, yes. Also, being very optimistic in terms of the time that goes into a fully canvassed suit.

But I guess the more important point is this (starting rant): what the bloody hell is it that people expect from Hong Kong tailors? A bespoke suit made to Savile Row standards with Zegna Super 200 cloth, ready in two days,with their idealized fit and silhouette, for 300 bucks? Why should anyone expect a discount for quantity ordering? As far as I know, you don't get one at Huntsman or A&S, neither do you get one at Sam Hober. A Brooks Brothers suit will cost you as much as a Lee Baron one, and given the low costs that Brooks must be able to negotiate on fabric and the fact that they produce assembly-line style in low-income countries, I'm not sure that Lee Baron isn't a fair deal. Will there be tailors in Hong Kong able to offer a lower price for a similar product? Probably, but I haven't found them, and although I do speak Chinese, I simply don't have the time to go and look around. I appreciate any tips, but Do tailors have a moral obligation to advertise their services on SF? I shouldn't think so. There seems to be a compunction about scoring a deal on this forum, rather than building a relationship with someone. It just doesn't work like that.

I'm not looking fro a deal, like I say prices are subjective. Why are you getting your panties up in a bunch? I find 6 grand to be expensive because:

1) (this is our own fault really) the contsant endorsements from here.
2) The fact that where they are isn't a lot of rent given the building is gonna be torn down soon and its such a small space. I hated Jantzen but I must admit they have a better location.

I am on here to just share my thoughts, not to argue. My objective is to have an open discussion and get SFer's ideas, and if I find a deal? Fine. But if I REALLY wanted a deal, I would've went to Hollywood building in Mongkok a long time ago and made myself one of thsoe $1299 suits.

addedfuel

Reaction score

I understand there are costs to business and the going rate for a MTM suit is 4500$HK up for 2 piece - fabric, labour and rent making up the biggest costs plus a profit. I think we are all realistic that we get what we pay for and there's no such thing as a deal but it's just looking where to spend my dough wisely.

I am not expecting to pay any less than 5000hk$ for a suit these days but other variables such as fabric, service, quality, style of cut are factors in choosing a tailor for me.

addedfuel

Reaction score
I'm not looking fro a deal, like I say prices are subjective. Why are you getting your panties up in a bunch? I find 6 grand to be expensive because:

1) (this is our own fault really) the contsant endorsements from here.
2) The fact that where they are isn't a lot of rent given the building is gonna be torn down soon and its such a small space. I hated Jantzen but I must admit they have a better location.

I am on here to just share my thoughts, not to argue. My objective is to have an open discussion and get SFer's ideas, and if I find a deal? Fine. But if I REALLY wanted a deal, I would've went to Hollywood building in Mongkok a long time ago and made myself one of thsoe $1299 suits.
" thsoe $1299 suits" are most likely made of shiny polyester mix and it gives me the goose bumps when I see people wearing them. DON'T!!!!

Last edited:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Form my experience. The really good one in Hong Kong only likes to do local orders. I am not aware the one me and my father uses even has business outside the legal circle.

Who's your tailor?

Wongtouski

Reaction score

" thsoe $1299 suits" are most likely made of shiny polyester mix and it gives me the goose bumps when I see people wearing them. DON'T!!!!
Haha I was only being sarcastic. I would buy 10 Zara suits before I buy one of those. Speaking of "affordable" suits, Boggi is an option, I still find it expensive though compared to online prices, no wonder the store is empty.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much longer can the trade continue in HK? The video claims that not a lot of people are going in and the old timers are close to retiring. I wonder how long places like WW Chan and Yao can continue to churn out great products with an aging tailor population.

daytona

Reaction score

Dear 911

Unless it is a secret, I would be interested to learn which HK tailors are far better than Lee Baron but charge the same for a fully canvassed suit.

Regards
Stiva

I would agree with add911. "there are plenty of local tailors that is far better than Lee Baron, and charge the same."

Some local tailors can make full canvassed suit at reasonable price. You just have to find it out.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know Ah Yau make barristers and QC/SC gown, but I think his business is more on academia, so I think you are talking about someone else.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know Ah Yau make barristers and QC/SC gown, but I think his business is more on academia, so I think you are talking about someone else.

Sadly, my dad only introduce him to me as SiFu Lau. I believe he does not have a retail shop, and he collects orders from the chambers across Central.

I don't think his suits are top notch, but his legal uniforms looks really good. A proper pre-drape cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads