• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ikea used to have them, with the wider flatter ends. Sometimes I've seen them in Japan Home. I haven't been looking for a while, but you should have no problem getting them.

nioh

Reaction score
Thanks, but Ikea only seem to have to skimpier type, i.e., more of a shirt hanger.

Penfold

Reaction score
If you have to have wooden then ordering online via Kirby Allison or similar is probably the only way.
WW Chan give you a very satisfactory black plastic hanger with broad shoulder ends and a plastic strip that pins the trousers to the trouser bar well. I think I saw the same or very similar at a point of sale wholesaler somewhere near Maple Street up between Prince Edward and Sham Suit Po... they might do smaller quantities. Otherwise I might have to export a few hundred to the UK and start an eBay shop, the hangers are that much better

Chowkin

Reaction score

If you have to have wooden then ordering online via Kirby Allison or similar is probably the only way.
WW Chan give you a very satisfactory black plastic hanger with broad shoulder ends and a plastic strip that pins the trousers to the trouser bar well. I think I saw the same or very similar at a point of sale wholesaler somewhere near Maple Street up between Prince Edward and Sham Suit Po... they might do smaller quantities. Otherwise I might have to export a few hundred to the UK and start an eBay shop, the hangers are that much better

Try Taobao - they have very nice ones similar to those at Kirby's hangers. Unfortunately they are more European / American sizes

Devils Advocate

Reaction score

Gordon Yao without any doubt whatever.

Seconded , no experience of the others but Gordon Yao is wonderful , a gentleman and easy to get along with. I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending him, his skill and attention to detail are excellent

Bloomsbury2k

Reaction score
Thanks GBR. I ended up going to Gordon Yao, WW Chan, and H Baromon. All three were great experiences, very professional, and pleasant to deal with. Gordon Yao seems very precise in his measuring, as was WW Chan who had 3 people measuring me. Baromon was more casual, but he actually used photography to assist him. If you're staying at the Shangri-la in Kowloon, Gordon Yao is only across the street on Mody Road, about 1/2 a block away. If I had a more generous budget, I would have followed through with 3 other tailors. But it was bad enough that I was visiting during CNY. I will know in a few weeks when I receive my suits, and will post for your opinion. Evidently I have gained weight, during this visit, easy to do when starving for good Asian food from the Midwest USA. More later. Bloomsbury

Penfold

Reaction score
You used Chan, Yao and Baroman and you would have liked a bigger budget?!

What cloths, garments, styles and details did you go for? Did they manage fittings or did you only have time for measurements?

Very interested to see how it all turns out, especially Baroman who gets little mention around here. Was pricing across all three around the same?

One tailor took several photos of me from back, front and sides at both measurement and basted fittings... then delivered a garment I am actually ashamed of. Maybe just bad luck, but tailoring is a three dimensional problem after all.

Last edited:

Bloomsbury2k

Reaction score
Penfold,
Actually if I had more time, I would have gone to the other tailors, but 13 days isn't enough to get at 6 tailors! It's an adventure, and I enjoyed the process. All of them told me that I came at a bad time, as the world seemingly had already informed me, but timing with my family, partner, etc. made it what it was -- bad timing. Nevertheless, the tailors were able to fit me in for a measuring and at least one good fitting. They assured me (of course) that for me it would be adequate. I know this goes against all rules of getting in 3 fittings, but all the tailors were off to holiday by the time my first fitting was done. Anyway, the cost was about $3K USD for Chan which included an extra pair of pants. I cannot recall the name of the fabric, it was a Sable? high end fabric I think. Navy blue with a hint of hounds tooth pattern in it. I selected the buttons, or they helped, and guided me through the rest, as I'm rather new at ordering bespoke clothing. I thought it was a lot, but Oh Well. I chose a birdseye Loro Piana pattern charcoal grayish at H. Baromon as I wanted something a little more casual, and with 2 white shirts (one with cuffs, one without), it was about $2K. I ordered only a Loro Piana 130s conservative dark gray pattern 2 piece suit at Gordon Yao for $1.9K USD. All not cheap. But perhaps I was paying a premium for stupidly visiting during CNY. I'll pay for the error, (and perhaps more later when I get the suits). I must say, there was a lot of detail given at both measures. I thought the crowds in HK was rough, so I was glad to finish my business and get out. I must say, because I was visiting during the holiday, I was the only customer there. I think they opened specifically for my appointment. Ergo, the relatively high prices. I did not bargain. Then I went jade hunting at Yau Ma Tei, (sounds like "ma ma dei" = "mediocre" in Cantonese) la la la. Bloomsbury2k

Penfold

Reaction score
The Chan suit could have been in a cloth from Scabal, a cloth merchant with a good reputation, very pretty blue snakeskin-effect bound cloth books and a knack for charging.

Someone from Chan (I'm guessing Patrick) is in Chicago on March 4th, and then again in June and October (see http://wwchan.com/itinerary.pdf ) so if you're really unhappy help will be on hand.

In my relatively limited experience in HK the third fitting is pretty much collection and payment with the promise of "bring it back if there are any problems" hanging in the air, even though it is the first time you've been in the finished coat (look Mum, both sleeves) and trousers.

Anyway please do keep us updated - many posters promise to and then never do. I suspect it's because asking your girlfriend/wife/significant other to take multiple fit pics can be a bit embarrassing.

Last edited:

faerie826

Reaction score
This thread is crazy.
Not to be lazy or anything, i've read through a lot but i'm looking to spend less than a bespoke, on my bf's new suit.
what's the best quality MTM i can get?
on the other hand. tcny is a bit over my price range though!

It seems Lee baron is the best value for bespoke?

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People on this forum like Kent Wang and Luxire quite a bit for MTM online, if you're not looking specifically to get stuff made in HK.

Penfold

Reaction score
If your boyfriend isn't a difficult shape to fit - not too big, not too small, regular size and shape and so on then maybe even made-to-measure isn't necessary. There's quite a lot that can go wrong with measuring, fabric choice and manufacture and the newbie suit buyer generally makes several poor decisions too.

You could look at Ready-To-Wear garments from Suit Supply, Charles Tyrwhitt or elsewhere. They're knocking out suits for $400USD, some of which don't look all that bad. These guys and their manufacturers can bulk-buy cloth whereas a bespoke tailor will buy a short length of different cloth for each client (or sell you what he has in his shop). With the money you save you can get all kind of minor alterations done, which your $800 USD Made to Measure suit will probably need doing anyway.

Of course if your boyfriend is a difficult fit then bespoke becomes worth it. Around these parts people get very fussy about construction quality, fabric and fit - and there's a general sense that one perfect 14k HKD suit is a better buy than two 7k HKD suits that you hate wearing because they look and feel terrible to wear.

These Richard James RTW suits available in the UK through John Lewis look relatively modern and, on clearance especially, cost less than it does to even get in the elevator and walk into WW Chan.

http://www.johnlewis.com/richard-james-mayfair/brand

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads