1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hong Kong Tailors Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Silk, Apr 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. seferphier

seferphier Well-Known Member

Insightful. I think making a dummy suit helps since they use CAD for pattern making. If a tailor was doing the pattern, they don't need to make a dummy suit. It is a balance between computer generated and customizing. You are right that they would need to do make lots of amendments if someone was disproportionate. I believe they can iron it out on the dummy suit though.
    Interesting. Have you tried any tailors in China? I'm sure many of their work is great given that many HK tailors outsource to China. Which tailor do you use in HK?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  2. sadkfjaskfaj

sadkfjaskfaj Member

I'll be in HK in a few weeks and I need to get a new suit. I'll be staying for a few months so time is not an issue.
    However, if anyone knows of a tailor in Central that can get met a suit in ~7 days, that's be great.

Budget is probably up to ~$5000HKD for a two-piece wool (not particularly fussed about the fabric itself), although I don't necessarily need a full-canvassed suit (half-canvassed is fine).

Preliminary research tells me that these tailors are good:
    Lee Baron (but apparently they've jacked up their prices recently?)
    Simpson Sin
    Andrew Cheng
    Baron Kay
    Cheung Hing for cheapness

Can anyone toss any more suggestions?
    I'm fluent in Cantonese so I don't need someone that speaks English. Thanks!

3. sadkfjaskfaj

sadkfjaskfaj Member

I'll be in HK in a few weeks and I need to get a new suit. I'll be staying for a few months so time is not an issue.
    However, if anyone knows of a tailor in Central that can get met a suit in ~7 days, that's be great.

Budget is probably up to ~$5000HKD for a two-piece wool (not particularly fussed about the fabric itself), although I don't necessarily need a full-canvassed suit (half-canvassed is fine).

Preliminary research tells me that these tailors are good:
    Lee Baron (but apparently they've jacked up their prices recently?)
    Simpson Sin
    Andrew Cheng
    Baron Kay
    Cheung Hing for cheapness

Can anyone toss any more suggestions?
    I'm fluent in Cantonese so I don't need someone that speaks English. Thanks!

4. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I will be very interested in those Ningbo tailors. I wonder how they would define 'top SR standard' given I have so many failures.

5. Hifilover

Hifilover Well-Known Member

Please try and report.

6. add911_11

Can you stop asking people to try all tailors in Hong Kong so you can get a holistic view? You realise this is an act with zero courtesy?

7. Hifilover

I will stop.
    i am looking for a tailor now.

8. Gatsbyu

Gatsbyu Well-Known Member

You can't iron to shape the fabric whenever it is sewn deadly. Iron work means moving particular area of fabric from 1 place to the other. Wherever it is sewn, you can play with the fabric very much.

I tried tailoring in different perspectives. I saw how master tailors/cutters make and cut, talk and discuss.

You may search Mr. Joffre, James Chang. They are in Shanghai and SZ.

9. Fishball

Fishball Well-Known Member

Add,

Based on their web photos and what they said on the website, I don't so sure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If they do it on chest dart and shouler seam, I don't see why they are not used in other parts of the jacket!:lurk:

10. Gatsbyu

Gatsbyu Well-Known Member

AMF stitching ..... they just told you by the name, haha. It is done by machine ....

11. add911_11

I rather wished you will acknowledge your rudeness. Nevermind.

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Hey @sadkfjaskfaj , I moved your post over here so you can get help from the HK experts. Best of luck.

13. add911_11

After seeing those photos, I am assured that even those decorative stitches are made by machine no doubt.
    @seferphier are you a vendor? Your post smells of advertisement.

14. seferphier

Nope. I'm not affiliated to them. I'm just looking for a good tailor. If you recall, I messaged you in July. If I was a vendor, I wouldn't have asked what tailor you use. Since then, I commissioned some suits with Lai according to your recommendation.

I plan to make another suit in a few months time. Just want to get third party opinion on them before I make an order.

15. add911_11

O dear I am starting to forget things. Sorry for prompting you in a bad light previously.

So you still have not decide on your next commission? I will say if you are definitely a fan of Lai's cut (I mean the general one not the one Lai cuts for me with more chest and shoulders), I think you will find the handwork and the fit of WW Chan very good.

However, be noted that I find their cut is very industrialize and not very personal. However I am sure mass of people would like that.

16. seferphier

No worries.

I'm curious on what you meant by their cut is very industrialized. Is the pattern making by hand? I read here that they might have done their cutting by laser which was concerning since their suits are quite expensive.

17. add911_11

Given the "beyond average uniform" look of my commission, I am inclined to believe that the pattern are not cut by hand. Nonetheless, this does not mean all the fitting tweats would be absent.

18. sadkfjaskfaj

sadkfjaskfaj Member

Anyone have experience with Cuffs? (http://www.cuffs.hk/)

I'm aware they just ship it across the border to get it made with measurements (ie no on-site tailoring), but it's not particularly expensive (3800 for half-canvassed wool) and Causeway is hella convenient so...

19. Hifilover

In same area, i rate Hola Classic a better choice.

20. dreambespoke

dreambespoke New Member

Hi All!
    this is the first post in this thread.
    we have our own workshop and I am the owner of it.
    So "outsource" is not a correct word.

Ricky

1 person likes this.