• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

dygital

Reaction score
Went to Mirador today and saw SY Wong to get some trousers adjusted and asked him about getting an uncanvased unstructured suit made. He says it's definitely possible but he has never done anything close to it. He said the closest thing he'd have done is a self lined suit.

Any other leads @PekingRoadHK ? I saw Ng too and said hi, but he doesn't seem to really remember me...

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Went to Mirador today and saw SY Wong to get some trousers adjusted and asked him about getting an uncanvased unstructured suit made. He says it's definitely possible but he has never done anything close to it. He said the closest thing he'd have done is a self lined suit.

Any other leads @PekingRoadHK ? I saw Ng too and said hi, but he doesn't seem to really remember me...

BaoTou in Mirador take care of cutting, fitting, and QC control of their Shenzhen workshops. The sifu who make suits are located in Shenzhen workshops, they follow instructions from the BaoTou. You have to ask baotou if their workshops can do the job for you.

From my understanding, Wong SY sifu is using a high grade Shenzhen workshop taking orders from a few HK high grade bespoke (not limited to Wong SY).

For specific request, old HK tailors can make suits all by themself in HK. There are old HK with 40/50 years experiences. How many suits they have made in their life? It's not about if they can do specific structure by themself, it's a matter if they want to take orders of specific request. There are a few old sifu tailors taking orders of specific request.

Last edited:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
while we are at Taobao store, maybe worth a look at this too

they sell lesser-known fabric brands at a reasonable (but not cheap) price, and branded cut length fabrics at a discount.
Have been a repeated customer, a very patient merchant and quite pleasant to deal with.

that's a high risk online shop from mainland China. I won't deal with this kind of online shop.

buy your fabric in real shops in HK or from online shops with reputation!

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
that's a high risk online shop from mainland China. I won't deal with this kind of online shop.

buy your fabric in real shops in HK or from online shops with reputation!

Very well said. If one is buying fabric from eBay or Taobao, one needs to be at least experienced in how the different ranges of different mills feel like, how the hand of wool differs from polyester etc. If you are living in HK, you have the chance to learn from all the physical stores listed in @PekingRoadHK’S guide.

That said, if you are experienced enough (some of my friends have been CMT clients of shops and Baotaos for more than 10 years), there is a chance than you get something rare or something undervalued. Then again, experience is key.

Enjoy fabric shopping, and enjoy CMT. ?

dygital

Reaction score
BaoTou in Mirador take care of cutting, fitting, and QC control of their Shenzhen workshops. The sifu who make suits are located in Shenzhen workshops, they follow instructions from the BaoTou. You have to ask baotou if their workshops can do the job for you.

From my understanding, Wong SY sifu is using a high grade Shenzhen workshop taking orders from a few HK high grade bespoke (not limited to Wong SY).

For specific request, old HK tailors can make suits all by themself in HK. There are old HK with 40/50 years experiences. How many suits they have made in their life? It's not about if they can do specific structure by themself, it's a matter if they want to take orders of specific request. There are a few old sifu tailors taking orders of specific request.
Well if Wong SY Sifu had said he has never made an unstructured uncanvased suit before, it clearly wouldn't be the best to find him to make such a thing since you have no idea what would result from it.

Ng Sifu said he has made such a thing before although it is extremely uncommon. He said there would also be a small surcharge for having no canvas/lining due to the extra handwork. I will probably find Ng to make a jacket. Will report back on the results

MenWithStyl3

Reaction score
1588257749497.png

Anyone know where can I order these? Been told that this is the same as the ones sell by Thomas Mason (but at 1/3 of the price).

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Same? You must be kidding.

Thomas Mason (Albini Italy) weave their own denim - not even outsource their denim to Japanese mills like Canclini.

If your tailor shows you some sort of book like this, you can flip to the last page of the book - there is often contact info and address of the merchant on the inside of the hard cover, since they don’t often remember where each of these come from as well...

P.S. I actually don’t recognise this book exactly. Looks a bit like Saviero Textile or the like?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@dygital

old sifu of Red Gang Tailors can do the job all by themself in HK.
retired sifu of Shanghai workmanship can do the job all by themself in their hk home.

made in HK, they charge more. communication is another issue.

Last edited:

Nara_Deer

Reaction score
Visited Golden Circle earlier on which is the official distributor of Marling and Evans. They also carry quite a number of famous brands from England and Italy, such as VBC, Huddersfield, Dormeuil, Loro Piana, Carlo Barbera etc. I personally think they cover quite a lot of things.

One thing makes them quite unique is that they have a good stock of vintage fabrics, which mostly consists of mid to heavy weight wool, flannels, high twists and cavalry twills, and occasionally heavy linens. And these are usually cheaper and more drape than contemporary fabrics. I think its worth a visit.

They work very closely with those young and trending tailor shops. But they do welcome the general public (though only the tailor shops get discounts).

1209 Rise Commercial Building, 5-11 Granville Circuit, TST
9-6.30 Mon to Sat
Reservation preferred

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Just to share with you guys another shot of the beautiful patina work by K Patina...

Current charge is HKD 950, turnaround time ~ 2 weeks

Shoes turned from an orange-brown to something like a cherry museum, which is very nice in daylight.

Stanacle

Reaction score
Where to get Caccioppoli fabrics in Hong Kong? They are well known for their summer jacketing fabrics

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
It said signature collection of made in Italy (all new fall 2017): Alazar IX

My rule: suit fabric of over HK$1k/yard is not necessary. Between $400 and $800 is good enough. I found my fabric in Huddersfield web site in 2017, it was priced over £110/meter. In March 2019, I found it in the "offers" section for around half price. This is the last pic of fabric, just enough for a 3 pic suit + a trousers, and I bought it through the HK agent for my future suit. I found the fabric label written “VBC 150s”! I compare it with my suit of VBC 150s, I got the fabric from long wear for HK$500/yard in 2018. Yes, I found the Huddersfield signature collection has higher grade and better hand feel. The agent explained to me this is an exclusive line for Huddersfield by VBC.

The character of this British brand fabric made in Italy is soft and good hand feel, more Italian than ordinary VBC 150s. If you are looking for British fabric character, you look for British made fabrics, this Italian made fabric is NOT British character.

Now 2020, it's time to make a 3 pic suit of Alazar IX. This is my new full canvas suit made by Ng sifu:

Attachments

• Huddersfield Alazar IX.1.JPG
    Huddersfield Alazar IX.1.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Huddersfield Alazar IX.3.JPG
    Huddersfield Alazar IX.3.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

ml9369

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get Loro Piana/Solbiati fabric for linen trousers in Hong Kong? I have been contacting all the known stockists of Loro Piana fabric listed here, but most of them only seem to have the three seasons wool or a rather limited range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads